FSX/P3D Question

mindframe85

So I've been a FSX user since 2006. Now it's 2018 and quite obviously no matter what processor or video card I have (Intel i7/GTX1070) the game still doesn't do what it should as far as scenery and performance . So I'm thinking of making the jump to P3D since it is pretty much a 64 bit version of FSX from what I've heard maybe I'm wrong idk. So my questions were...

How's the performance in comparison to FSX?

Graphics any better?

Are the controls/buttons or user interface similar to FSX?

Will my add ons such as Rex, GSX, My Traffic, AS Next, A318/319/320, Orbx, etc work with P3D?

PS I also have XP11 but absolutely apples and oranges to FSX and don't want to redownload all new add-ons again. Plus FSX has always been my top choice.

Also since I'm new to P3D, what license do most people go with? I was looking at the Academic license since it is more affordable.

Well guys let me know and thanks again.

P3D v. 4.2 Academic license is essentially a 64-bit equivalent of FSX - as I see it. It will make better use of your high-end graphics card than FSX.

Most key assignments are the same, except for my joystick where there are some differences.

Many add-ons for FSX will work in P3D, but bear in mind that some have both FSX and P3D versions in the installer, so install the FSX version to FSX and the P3D version to P3D. FSX and P3D can co-exist on the same system (indeed on the same hard drive) without any issues.

For my own personal experience I can say that I have Drzewiecki Design's New York City and Airports 1 and 2 on both FSX and P3D. In FSX, I have to install the Lite scenery, or I'll get OOM CTDs. No such issue with the full scenery in P3D.

Jorgen

P3D v. 4.2 Academic license is essentially a 64-bit equivalent of FSX - as I see it. It will make better use of your high-end graphics card than FSX.

Most key assignments are the same, except for my joystick where there are some differences.

Many add-ons for FSX will work in P3D, but bear in mind that some have both FSX and P3D versions in the installer, so install the FSX version to FSX and the P3D version to P3D. FSX and P3D can co-exist on the same system (indeed on the same hard drive) without any issues.

For my own personal experience I can say that I have Drzewiecki Design's New York City and Airports 1 and 2 on both FSX and P3D. In FSX, I have to install the Lite scenery, or I'll get OOM CTDs. No such issue with the full scenery in P3D.

Jorgen

Good to know. Thanks. I also noticed on some videos I've seen that there's no cars on roads when flying. Do you notice this too?

I must say I haven't really noticed that, but I remember this question being asked somewhere else.

It may be that the setting for AI Road Traffic in Prepar3D.cfg needs to be set higher than at 8%, where I have it now. I have kept it low because in FSX AI road traffic is a frame rate killer.

Jorgen

True for earlier versions but across the range of systems that I have P3Dv4.2 installed that is simply no longer the case. 33% has no greater effect then 3%.

Archived