F-4 Phantom engine shuts down after a few minutes

asos

I installed virtaviaf-4extramodelx.zip and the engine dies after a few minutes of flight--perhaps 3 min or so...

I had to restart it each time. Loaded it about 4 flights--engine stopped on each flight...

Anyone else had the same problem?

Nick

It flew just fine! IIRC, when I installed the first pack of Virtavia F-4 Phantoms it did as you described. The engines would die several minutes after takeoff. I think I figured out that just after engine startup, if you press CTRL+F4 (I think this is to make sure mixture is full rich, or fuel on) it will run OK.

This has become a habit for me with all 3rd party military jets.

f4.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

CTRL+SHFT+F4 is the fuel valve OPEN command for jets. That F-4 may not have the fuel valve open by default, or it may be your default flight has it shut of for whatever reason. CTRL+F4 is PROP FULL SPEED for constant speed props. I don't believe it normally has any function for jets, but the Vritavia Phantoms may well have it as the fuel valve command. I don't have that plane, so I'm not certain.

That key combo, CTRL+SHFT+F4, acts as MIXTURE FULL RICH for prop planes, and FUEL VALVE OPEN for jets, by default.

Hope all my rambling is some help...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

CTRL+SHFT+F4 is the fuel valve OPEN command for jets. That F-4 may not have the fuel valve open by default, or it may be your default flight has it shut of for whatever reason. CTRL+F4 is PROP FULL SPEED for constant speed props. I don't believe it normally has any function for jets, but the Vritavia Phantoms may well have it as the fuel valve command. I don't have that plane, so I'm not certain.

That key combo, CTRL+SHFT+F4, acts as MIXTURE FULL RICH for prop planes, and FUEL VALVE OPEN for jets, by default.

Hope all my rambling is some help...

Pat☺

Your probably right, Pat! It was in my default flight that I had to fix my mixture levers. This was about 3 years, or so ago, and a lot of thoughts have leaked out through the missing hair follicles.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Zippy and Phantomfreak,

I tried CTL+SHIFT, both from a cold and dark start and from a engines running start--it did not work.

Meanwhile, I have made a new a/c cfg with the engine settings changed and with that installed the engines do not die.

I will be uploading that here later on today along with a modified 2D panel--look out for it later, search for "Tselepides".

Zippy: did you press CTL +SHIFT in a cold and dark state or with engines running?

Nick

:)

I have just uploaded my panel mod & my new a/c.cfg here, as f4pnlac-cfgmods.zip

It may be up tomorrow--at least I hope so.

The a/c cfg is the one that stops my engines from dying. The panel cfg includes new gauges and new pop-out windows that make flying easier.

Nick

:):)

:) The file has been uploaded in this site, and 60 people have already downloaded it in 2 hours or so.

Nick

FSX - FSX Panels

FSX F-4 Phantom II Panel And Aircraft Cfg Mod

[ Download | View ]

Name: f4pnlac-cfgmods.zip

Size: 4,305,282 Date: 02-20-2018 Downloads: 60

FSX F-4 Phantom II Panel And Aircraft Cfg Mod. This file is for the FSX F4 Phantom (VIRTAVIAF-4EXTRAMODELX.ZIP), update by Bob Chicilo. It gives a new modded 2D panel and a new aircraft.cfg that corrects the engines dying after a few minutes of flight. See Readme for installation guidelines. By Nick Tselepides ("asos" in forum).

Archived