Where to now? Leaving FSX:SE.

n697dt

We haven't had a sim but FSX for years and now there are basically four competitive sims I know of that have just come out. I was going to wait to see who shakes out. But FSX has too many little quirks, and I'm sick of having to spend days reinstalling everything again. I've been watching a lot of YouTube and none of them look like they really blow FSX out of the water. Here is the sim I'm wanting: I have a lot of Orbx add-ons, including Global, Vector, North AmericaLC and EuropeLC, Northern Cali and PNW, etc. I also use Active Sky Next, DirectX 4, WOAI, PMDG 737NG. I want to acquire some A2A aircraft as well. I like immersion flying GA VFR, but I also like to shoot the ILS in a 737. Which sim would you go with for those of you with knowledge about moving up to 64 bit without buying a sim that crashes into history. Can the flightsim industry really support four platforms?

My PC specs are as follows: Asus Intel core i7-2600 CPU at 3.4 GHz, 16 Gig Ram, Nvidia Geforce GT 640.

Any thoughts? Thank you

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

I have identical rig specs. I tweaked the FSX cfg, use custom weather with no cumulus, just cirrus, uncheck any scenery I am not going to use today, lock frames at 30, don't have programs running in background (only FRAPS for recording videos). I get 30 fps (smooth, no stutters). If I had all the software you have installed I might get 24 fps (with dips to 12 fps) and not smooth. I have Win 7 64 bit Pro. 8 gig of ram (matched sticks - 'dual channel'). FSX -AND- Screen Res is 2048x1152x32 (16:9) (should/must be identical for best GPU operation). My next Sim? P3Dv4.2. No brainer. FSX Steam too. Both can live side-by-side so why not. Life is full of choices. Choose your poison.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

It's kind of like the more I install by the book, I get more and more problems. Black boxes for PAPI lights, blue squares in the middle of nowhere. There are just several things acting up on it. I thought I was going to like Steam, but I'm having a hard time.

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

It's kind of like the more I install by the book, I get more and more problems. Black boxes for PAPI lights, blue squares in the middle of nowhere. There are just several things acting up on it. I thought I was going to like Steam, but I'm having a hard time.

The product list defines either FSX, or P3D. The EULA defines whether P3D is suitable for you as an individual.

P3D is defined in 32-bit (P3dv3) or 64-bit (P3Dv4+) editions.

ORBX have updates for their products into 64-bit format. PMDG requires re-purchase.

However, ALL of your problems define a computer problem, not a simulator problem, I'd fix that first.

For a fresh start you might look at X-Plane, bit none of your addons work there. FSW is the outsider, still in beta but advancing slowly, but limited in what can be done addon-wise at the present time.

Your choice, We can't make it for you on the information presented.

Archived