Airfile tables as Graphs. ----FS2004/FSX Aircraft Airfile Manager.

il88pp

Airfiles:

Up till now I had only occasionally tried editing an Airfile. Always using AirEd.

I found that a difficult to understand program.

Yesterday I had installed a new aircraft. It rolled on ground at idle thrust.

I found that to change that you had to edit table 1506 in the AirFile.

I also found a thread explaining what to lower.

I tried with AirEd, but didn't understand how to do it.

THen I downloaded:

FS2004/FSX Aircraft Airfile Manager

found it here: http://www.fs2000.org/2009/09/16/fs2004fsx-aircraft-airfile-manager/

(On the Perfect Flight website.)

Worked great. THis program displays airfile tables as a graph instead of a series of numbers.

It was easy to understand.

Lowereing the idle thrust worked first try. THe aircraft no longer creeps forward now.

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have to say, nothing bad about AirEd.

A managed to do find with that program too.

Both probably have advantages and disadvantages.

I also have not really used ai airfile editor long enough to really judge.

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airfiles:

Up till now I had only occasionally tried editing an Airfile. Always using AirEd.

I found that a difficult to understand program.

Yesterday I had installed a new aircraft. It rolled on ground at idle thrust.

I found that to change that you had to edit table 1506 in the AirFile.

I also found a thread explaining what to lower.

I tried with AirEd, but didn't understand how to do it.

THen I downloaded:

FS2004/FSX Aircraft Airfile Manager

found it here: http://www.fs2000.org/2009/09/16/fs2004fsx-aircraft-airfile-manager/

(On the Perfect Flight website.)

Worked great. THis program displays airfile tables as a graph instead of a series of numbers.

It was easy to understand.

Lowereing the idle thrust worked first try. THe aircraft no longer creeps forward now.

il.

I'd be interested in this. What exactly is changed in the 1506 line? The first line on the graph? I've heard that its not as easy as just changing one thing due to the thrust/fuel flow then being out at other areas, cruise/climb etc. Did you have any issues with this?

I'd like to increase idle thrust on some add-ons to make it roll with less thrust. I'm just wondering what I'd have to change to do this.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd be interested in this. What exactly is changed in the 1506 line? The first line on the graph? I've heard that its not as easy as just changing one thing due to the thrust/fuel flow then being out at other areas, cruise/climb etc. Did you have any issues with this?

I'd like to increase idle thrust on some add-ons to make it roll with less thrust. I'm just wondering what I'd have to change to do this.

I guess was too hard to answer..

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Standard reply with these questions - read this : [insert fsdeveloper thread].

Less then a dozen people on the planet understand any of that. Hence why 99% of freeware aircraft aren’t modeled that great.

Il says something like download air file manger and change one line - 1506 - and it’s easy and fixes the problem (to be honest the problem is the other way, not enough idle thrust for 99.9% add-ons).

But not so easy. Evidently you can’t ‘just change’ that line without altering several others and having access to engine parameter charts showing N1, N2, and EGT at variou altitudes and OAT. Otherwise it’s off at every other scale. Not many have access to those charts.

Hence why 99% of most freeware add-ons are a little unrealistic in this department.

“It was easy to understand”. Hmmmm.

Yes, well, essentially, you CAN just change one graph in the 15XX series, but if you do, you may change a parameter in the others. I know for sure that changing 1506 alters the results of the 1507 graph. That I know for sure. I am not certain it would affect 1503 and 1504, and certainly won't affect 1505. I think.

I've read everything I can find on FSDev forums about this section of the .air file. I am NOT nearly as knowledgeable about the 15XX sections as some of the people on the FSDev forums, but I've learned some. Ok, a little. Ok, a tiny little bit, but some :D

Mostly what I've taken away is that, while they are all interdependent to some degree, it seems that the dependency seems to generally flow from lower to higher graph numbers. Like 1503 affects 1504 much more than vice versa.

One trick I read about for getting 1506 set up was to make the 1507 graph entries all zero's. Then change the 1506 entries until the engines do what you want, then start adjusting the 1507 entries until the engine functions correctly overall.

I know, it's a lot more complex than that, but that's a very basic explanation. The FSDev threads have the details that I can never seem to remember for long. That's why I read, and re-read them when I am messing with the 15XX graphs. AND I do... :p

Good luck, and I wish you all well!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Jsmr,

It will take some looking up to understand it all. Do the work. Besides, you didn't even say if you were talking about a prop or let engine plane.

Changing only the thrust output of the idle n1 using 1506 should not change the thrust output of other n1 levels I think. I noticed no such issue.

But, as I explained, I only just found this airfile editor. Look it up yourself if you want to be sure. Google is still free.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gotta love this community. Thanks for the ‘help’.

Like I said, a dozen people on earth understand it. Google or not.

I have air file manager and could change the torque numbers for the Aeroworx King Air to represent ( as best as possible the different engines : -41, -42, -42 with rasiebeck mods, -61 and -52’s both with/without raisebck mods.

That one was easy. And also made it available to anyone who wanted it describing exactly how to do it, with screen shots and descriptions in my email. I didn’t just say - read google.

Working on jet engines is a different ball game and very few if any can do it. Or understand it. That kind Of work takes years. IF you understand it. And have access to the power charts of the engines.

Your name’s not edetroit is it? 🙄

Awww, jets aren't so hard to understand. Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. There's the operation in a nutshell :D

The best thing about jet engines, IMO, is that they don't change one motion to another, like piston engines do. They convert up and down motion, the pistons, to rotary motion, the output to the transmission. Rediculous way to do things. And grossly inefficient.

At least the Wankel engine converts rotary to rotary. MUCH more efficient.

Turbo-props are the same. All rotary.

Pure jet engines are even more efficient. No "conversions" at all. They blow hard, the engine moves forward.

Anywho...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived