Reuse aircraft panel

NDTradd

I've downloaded some wide screen panels for some of my aircraft in FSX, and somewhere I read how to share a panel with several aircraft, but can't seem to locate that info. Can somebody post the line I need to put into the panel.cfg file to point to a panel that's already installed? Thanks.

+1 on Charlie's suggestion.....

However, if you want to do it differently so that you can use the panel in many aircraft but only have one copy of the panel files do one of the following:

1. Either use an existing aircraft panel folder (option A) OR create a new folder to hold the panel files (options B, C and D):.

A. Within the panel folder of an already installed aircraft that will be the 'master location' for the files (e.g. add the panel to Model A).

B. A default FSX folder (e.g. FSX\Gauges\)

C. A newly created folder inside FSX (e.g. FSX\Addon Panels\

D. A newly created folder outside of FSX (e.g. C:\Addon Panels\.

Obviously, the PanelFolderName should be unique, especially where several different panels are being used.

2. Open the panel.cfg file for the aircraft that you wish to add the panel to and change it to point to the required location. The entry must be prefixed with alias=:

Here are few examples,based the examples folder names given in step 1 above:

Example 1 - alias=b747_400\panel

Example 2 - alias=Gauges\ OR alias=C:\FSX\Gauges\

Example 3 - alias=Addon Panels\ OR alias=C:\FSX\Addon Panels\

Example 4 - alias=C:\Addon Panels\.

Example 1 is an example of the required entry to use the default FSX B747 panel - the b747_400 part of the entry is Aircraft folder name as it appears within the SimObjects folder and the panel part is a reference to the Panel folder contained within the aircraft folder. This would be the same for any aircraft you use as a 'master' - simply replace b747_400 with the EXACT folder name of the host aircraft.

For examples 2 and 3 the first entry should work but IME you sometimes need to use the second entry. Why, I honestly don't know!!

Regards

Brian

let's say you have a plane with no panel or VC. Something you downloaded.

And all you want to do is use the 2D panel of the default boeing b737-800 in that plane.

In your new plane, you add a panel folder. (If there isn't one already.)

In the folder is a file called panel.cfg

Make a backup copy of the file. store in the panel folder. Filename: panel -0- orig copy.cfg

(good to keep that safe)

You can open these panel.cfg files with Notepad. (No other text editors please!!)

After makeing the backup, Open file: panel.cfg with Notpad.

Delete everything in it.

add a line:

alias=..\b737-800\panel

(this means to fsx: "When loading this, instead load the file in folder ..\b737-800\panel".)

You will only get a 2D panel. You won't get the VC (virtual cockpit) of the b737-800.

----------------

I prefer to do something very different.

Rename the panel folder of the down;loaded plane to: panel.orig

(to keep it safely backed up.)

Copy the folder "panel" in the b737-800. Paste it in the new plane.

The new plane will now use the b737-800 panel. A copy of it.

Let's say the new plane is a CRJ700.

I may want to use the 737 2D panel, but make some small changes to it specifically for rthe CRJ700.

Doing it like this, simply copying the panel folder, means if I do some edits to it these will not also show in my 737.

I like to have that option. Creating slightly different panels for slightly different planes.

-----------------------------

Third way:

let's say you have a downloaded plane. A Boeing 727.

It has a panel folder already.

You downloaded two panels to try.

Simply install both in that plane. give the panel folders slightly different names.

FOr example:

panel.wide_1

panel.wide_2

(notice there is a period '....' in that name)

Then, make a backup of that plane's aircraft.cfg file. filename: aircraft -0- orig copy.cfg)

with backup made, open file: aircraft.cfg

look in the section that starts with:

[FltSim.0]

in it you will find a line:

panel=

cange that to:

panel=wide_1

and that paint of your plane will now show your new wide panel.

-

Scroll down a bit further. look in the section that starts with:

[FltSim.1]

in it you will find a line:

panel=

cange that to:

panel=wide_2

and that paint of your plane will now show your second new wide panel.

Try out which looks best at your lesure.

To make other planes use those same panels. You can use the "alias=" technique in those planes. Or just copy the wide panels to there too.

-----------------END.

-----------------

To make a plane that has no VC (virtual cockpit) use one is a lot more tricky.

I really recommend copying files to do that. Not aliassing.

Also, it will not work with planes that were made for fs9.

There are many planes in te Flightsim.com file library that are marked as: FS2004/FSX.

Those are all planes made for FS2004, that will show up in fsx too. As they are made for FS2004, adding a VC is NOT an option.

---------------------

If the plane you want to add a 2D panel to already has a VC, then don't simply add the panel as described above.

The panel.cfg file of your plane will have info for its 2D panel, but also for it's VC.

If you simply replace the panel.cfg file, you will lose the VC.

you will have to cut and paste the 2 panel.cfg files together in tht case.

the original file will have the:

[VCocpit]

sections at the bottom.

The 2D panel sections start with:

[Window01]

and are what you want to replace with your donor panel.cfg file.

-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

It may be a lot easyer if you just say exactly what plane you want to add a panel to. And what panel it is you want to add.

(And how.)

That would make the explanation a lot more to the point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Overload indeed. Just rename the panel that is there (to...'panel.bck') and copy the panel you want to the airplane main folder (will replace the 'panel.bck'). That's all there is to it.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I can understand why you say that. But he asked specifically about sharing one panel with multiple aircraft. So explaining the 'alias=' method is not overload at all I think.

I also explained the easyer way. Which is the same as your way. And have added a few warnings about making backups.

Btw, I have a feeling he/she is only new to the forum, not to fsx.:D

Btw2, never hurts to hear the same thing explained by several people. At least, I find it helps me when I look up stuff.

Respect,

il.:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the help. I wasn't expecting an encyclopedia, but I'm going to store all this info for future reference. I've been using FSX for 8 years off and on, but just recently built a new computer and am getting reacquainted with this great sim. I'm only just getting into installing new aircraft, so this info will be extremely useful

I sometimes have 3 or 4 panels (names=xxx1,xxx2,xxx3,xxx4) under one airplane. I choose which one loads with 'panel=xxx?' . Too simple? I guess. The idea is to (always) keep it simple ('KISS').

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I think I forgot to add some info.

About combining two panel.cfg files.

(To add a new 2D panel, but keep the VC you already had in the plane.)

---------------------------

If you have a complete plane A. With VC.

and you want to replace only the main 2D panel with donor panel B

-create backup copy of panel.cfg A

-Open panel.cfg A and panel.cfg B

-

In panel.cfg A find line Window00=Main Panel

and replace with that line from panel .cfg B

(Which in this situation will probably also be Window00=Main Panel)

-

Then scroll down in panel.cfg A and find section:

[Window00]

etc

etc

Select that whole section down to just above [Window01]

and press delete to delet it.

Copy the whole [Window00] section from donor panel B

Paste it in panel.cfg A where you deleted that section.

close and save the panel.cfg A

-----------------------

-------------------------

The aircraft A now has the new main panel in it's panel.cfg file. And still has the original other popups. And VC.

But for the new 2D panel, you also need all the gauges for it, and the panel background image.

Look in the changed panel.cfg file A

In the [Window00] section you will find a line like this at the top:

[Window00]

file_1024=747_Background_1024.bmp

That is the name of the background image of the original main panel.

In the example: 747_Background_1024.bmp

FInd that file in panel folder B and copy it to folder A.

If there is a file with the same name in panle folder A, rename that file first to

747_Background_1024 - Orig.bmp

-

Then copy all the gauges from donor panel folder B to panel folder A.

Gauges are:

.gau, .dll, or .cab files.

Sometimes in donor panel folder B is a folder with .xml files.

Copy that too. Those are also gauges.

---

To make it easy, copy to folder A:

That one .bmp file.

Not the other .bmp files.

Not the aircraft.cfg file (duh).

And then copy all other files and folders.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived