FS2004 won't start after windows update!

jamminjames

I am running windows 7 64 and after updates last week I tried to run FS2004. It looks like it's trying to start and then just quits. I remember seeing a thread a couple of years ago about removing some kb(or something like that) file(s) and it worked. Can anyone please help!?

Hi,

Unfortunately the thread in question appears to have been deleted......I contributed extensively to the thread and my link to it that I stored separately states takes me to a page saying that it can't be found.

The KB update in question was KB3086255 and it can be removed as follows:

To uninstall the update manually run the windows update tool. At top left of the update window is a list of options, select View update history. A list of installed updates will be displayed but you are unable to delete any update from this page. Read the statement at the top of the page and click on the Installed Updates link. The new view will display all updates in a new format. The easiest way to find the update is to use the search field located at the top right of the window. Simply type in the full kb number and press enter.

To uninstall the update right click on the entry and select uninstall. Once the KB is uninstalled you will normally be prompted to restart the computer. If not prompted restart it anyway. Once restarted manually run win update again (using the Check for Updates option at top left) to get a list of available updates - the deleted KB should be included in any subsequent list which can be viewed by selecting the Show all available updates option located under info box on the main area. Uncheck the ticked box located to the left of the entry and then right click on the entry itself and select Hide Update. This will stop windows automatically downloading and installing the update in future.

I personally have set the windows updater to inform me when updates are available and thus select when I want to download and install them. To do this click on the Change Settings option located at top left and under Important Updates change the option to 2 or 3, whichever suits you best. The options available are self explanatory but note that with options 2 and 3, on startup, when updates are available, a information box will be displayed for short time and the windows update icon will be displayed in the taskbar near the clock or in the hidden icons area.

Also check your PM box for more info..........

Regards

Brian

Hi Roger,

If the OP, or any other FS2004 user using Win7 or 8, does not use the workaround detailed in the link provided by Tom (at post #3) then they need to either delete the offending KB OR re-enable the tool (SECDRV) that the KB disables.

For clarity, the observant amongst you will note that I told the OP to check his PM box - I did so because I PM'd him info on what the KB does, gave details on how to re-enable SECDRV whilst leaving the KB in place and also gave him details of the webpage linked by Tom.

For any other person who views this thread, especially after the thread becomes 'inactive', here are details on how to re-enable SECDRV whilst leaving the KB in place

NOTE - THIS WORKS ONLY FOR Win 7 and 8.

This info was taken from the Microsoft website reference page for the KB in question. A point to note - by elevated command prompt they mean with Admin rights:

Known issues in this security update

After you install this security update, some programs may not run. (For example, some video games may not run.) To work around this issue, you can temporarily turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry.

Note When you no longer require the service to be running, we recommend that you turn off the service again.

Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

To do this, type the following commands at an elevated command prompt. You should press Enter after you type each command.

To disable the driver's service, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= disabled

To set the driver's service to manual, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= demand

To enable the driver's service (and to set it to automatic), type the following command:

sc config secdrv start=auto

To manually start the driver's service, type the following command:

sc start secdrv

To manually stop the driver's service, type the following command:

sc stop secdrv

Regards

Brian

Archived