2 Major issues: FSXSE Frame Rate Drop overnight, and FSXSE not connected to the 'Net

stvn

Two major things I noticed in my FSXSE this week:

No in-game connection to the Internet, even though I am online on my ISP, and on Steam, and,

a massive frame rate hit while running two monitors.

First, the split screen dilemma:

Not sure what I did if, but in the last two days, my frame rates took a major hit when I drag and drop my panels and gps "undocked" pop up windows (while leaving monitor 1 on Spot view) onto the second monitor when using FSXSE.

I always have my frame rates in-game set at 'Unlimited', and always got anywhere from 80-140 fps, with no lag or stutters whatsoever. FSXSE up until now ran smooth as silk.

Now when I drag and drop those undocked windows onto the second monitor, I am barely getting 4-5 fps, with an occasional spike to 15 fps -which makes FSXSE virtually unplayable. This has never happened until now.

Second:

When booting up FSXSE, it now sends me to the Home screen, and giving me the "if you were connected to the net right now" screen. This is weird too, as it always used to send me right to the location/aircraft/time-of-day/wx/ selection screen -never see the home screen.

The only disclaimers I can think of: this Windows 10 nVidia graphics-driven pc hasn't been turned on in about three weeks straight, not until this week. Maybe I missed some sort of update somewhere, even though I have FSXSE set to auto update through Steam, nor has W10 offered me any update either after three weeks.

Another sidebar goofy thing: when FSXSE starts, I get the FSXSE icon in my taskbar, which is normal. Now I get a little red 'M' on top of the FSX icon now. That never happened before either.

In short, a bad week of flight simming after a three week hiatus...

Has anyone had this stuff happen too recently, or does anyone have any suggestions on where I can start looking to troubleshoot at?

Any input is welcome. Thanks.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

my flight simming system: Windows 10 CyberPower PC i5 6600k 3.5 gHz, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 970 graphics, with FSX, FSXSE and P3D all installed side-by-side on a Crucial 525 SSD. Dual monitors, with a Saitek X52 joystick w/ rudder pedals for controls. It's all powered by a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 700W power supply sitting in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I’ve also been getting the not connected to the internet from Steam but it doesn’t seem to affect the performance or any of my addons. I set frame rate to 30.

Same here. This has been going on for at least a week now. No noticeable loss in frame rates or performance. Maybe Steam is on vacation…

Perhaps some kind of vacation is going on at Steam, at least on the FSXSE end of things. I haven't tried any other of my Steam games, so maybe that is a distinct possibility. That said, it's good to know that I'm not alone on the Internet connection thing.

I was always old-school on setting the fps locked to 30 in the old days, but my pc now can run unlimited decently, so I left it set at unlimited for who knows how long now.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to set it back to locked-at-30 for s & giggles, just to see what happens. In the meantime, it also wouldn't hurt for me to just fly one screen for now. Even doing one screen with the open pop-up windows, there is no performance loss whatsoever in doing that. I'll simply shrink the boxes down, and stick one in each corner on one monitor. There, problem solved... :)

Thanks for the responses!

my flight simming system: Windows 10 CyberPower PC i5 6600k 3.5 gHz, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 970 graphics, with FSX, FSXSE and P3D all installed side-by-side on a Crucial 525 SSD. Dual monitors, with a Saitek X52 joystick w/ rudder pedals for controls. It's all powered by a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 700W power supply sitting in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case.

• 2 weeks later...
I am also getting that "if you were connected to the internet blahblahblah" issue, and I am also having issues with connecting to multiplayer - as in, I can't do it at all, to any server. I get a list of servers, but every time I try to connect to one, my connection times out. This didn't happen months ago (and I had forgotten about this issue until I tried to get back into playing FSX:SE this week), and I am becoming exhausted whilst trying to figure out what to do about it.

What you saw in the good screen in fsx (box) was a website.

That site was a redirect to the fsinsider site.

When steam came, the link was changed. It now redirected to a steam content page.

How the linking worked exactly, no idea.

The fsinsider site could still be viewed online in a browser. At a changed adress.

Now that fsinsider adress is also gone. The microsoft site reports: this page currently unavailable, make sure you typed it correctly. (in a normal browser.)

In fsx you see the standard message. 'if you were currently connected, etc.'

if you want to read fsinsider pages, use the wayback machine site in your browser.

I don't know if steam user used the good screen for something. I assume they can do that from browsers too.

And about this causing a slowdown, it hasn't on my system. Nor have I seen any other reports.

Actually i expect that no more browser connection from within fsx is more likely to cause a speedup if anything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The fsinsider site did not only have info, but also downloads. For example SP1 AND SP2 for fsx Deluxe box edition.

You can still find that now using the Wayback Machine site.

Click the link I posted below, and paste the resulting adress in the wayback Machine site to find it. Downloads still there also.

Probably limited time only !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived