Nag annoyance

archtx

When I downloaded some files this morning, this message appeared. Probably been there for a long time and I just never paid any attention:

"Congratulations, you are one of the top all time file downloaders on FlightSim.Com. You have downloaded 1111 files which equals about 13109.8 megabytes. Although we work hard to provide you with those files this is a continual cost to us monthly. We need your support in terms of a membership to help us offset those costs. You can see the membership options here for the one that is best for you. Your support helps us pay the bills so you can continue to enjoy the downloads. You'll also really enjoy the much faster download speeds you will get."

I would humbly submit that I have UPloaded dozens of files in my association with flightsim.com and those files have been downloaded by other simmers literally tens of thousands of times. That is in very poor comparison to other people in the sim community whose efforts far and away exceed mine! I am not looking for a gilt-edged letter of appreciation, suitable for framing and being displayed in my cockpit, but must admit this message rubs my fur the wrong way. I know it cost money to run this site, and I appreciate that it is a place where freeware may be downloaded for free. But, how about an attempt to screen who receives these guilt-inducing messages?

/closed

• Founder

We do regularly give a free First Class Membership to active contributors. "Active" being the key, in that we mean by that people who are currently uploading.

I looked up your name in our file library and see 14 uploads, with the most recent being in 2011 so I would not call that currently active. You said, though, that you've uploaded "dozens" of files; did you upload under another name?

• 1 month later...
Gee, he's downloaded over 13 GB of files for free, yet he is mad at the free downloads and a "nag?" I don't think I have ever come close to that amount of data. But I have downloaded my fair share of files and so I finally upgraded my account. The file downloads are a hell of a lot faster. In fact, I have a 100 MbPS Internet connection and the download saturated that well at full speed. So I'm able to download a file in no time flat. Which is great because I've seen some stuff I was thinking about grabbing, but at the time I was a free member. Now that I have a higher download speed I may just go download those files.

Question: Are the files in the cloud and is there redundancy? I remember AVsim got hacked many years ago and lost a lot of files and I mentioned how I could provide the files I had, but an idiot told me something along the lines, " great idea, I'm sure they would be infected with malware." So I said screw it. People...

Gee, when he said NAG Annoyance, I thought he'd encountered my ex wife. :p :eek:

Lucky for him that wasn't the case here! :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• Founder
Question: Are the files in the cloud and is there redundancy? I remember AVsim got hacked many years ago and lost a lot of files and I mentioned how I could provide the files I had, but an idiot told me something along the lines, " great idea, I'm sure they would be infected with malware." So I said screw it. People...

Unlike Avsim, who was apparently running two servers and just backing up one server to the other, we do have several backups, including offsite from the main server location.

Unlike Avsim, who was apparently running two servers and just backing up one server to the other, we do have several backups, including offsite from the main server location.

Awesome!

As much as Avsim is great for the wealth of Info. and support subforums for various Sim vendors, I can't stand their platform software. It keeps me away most times unless I'm looking for answers and I don't get them here. Then every time I log in there's this annoying message all the time about allowing notifications. Not sure if it's my browser or not. I use Pale Moon. Might be different in Firefox and Chrome, but I have my doubts. If not I'll ask over at the Pale Moon forum about it. Very annoying. There's such a thing as too much code and fluff, and I think they have effectively did that. IMO anyway. LOL

Also, take a look at him. Registered in 1998, that was his first post.

EDIT - thought I'd look to see my result, I don't seem to get that message.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Good grief and holy lurker. Only been 20 years. I guess all he does is download files.

The forum and file library accounts were separate at one point. Some people only had one or the other, and some had both.

Archived