An Azzaro retrospective, Part 3: Whirlybirds - Helicopters

azzaro

This installment features a mode of flight that really winds me up! A real love-hate sort of thing.

Sure, we've been going around together for years - but I just can't seems to settle down.

Let's just say my relationship with helos is complicated. Sometimes it's just rolling along,

and sometimes we're on the skids.

I love them for experiencing all the great detail in Orbx scenery, but somehow they always

let me down. Flying helos has sure had its ups and downs. :rolleyes:

Here are a few of them... -- Bob

BerlinHuey (12).jpg

FSXcap (119).jpg

cap (2140).jpg

dustOff.jpg

firePatrol (2).jpg

FSXcap (161).jpg

grandCanyon-(4).jpg

H-21C-Shawnee (5).jpg

randomFlights (18).jpg

tauranga (9).jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

They're getting better and better, Bob. :) Must be saving the best for last?

That 10th shot is my fave, an interesting capture. It's one you can really feel.

I agree! I really feel like those people are about to jump off that cliff!!:eek::eek:

Having said that, as a very old and out of date chopper jockey I really enjoyed this series!!!!:cool::cool: Like Bob, my relationship with choppers was often either rolling on wheels or on the skids.

Sadly, though I flew both fixed wing and rotor wing RW, I've never found a chopper sim that gave me any sense of "flight" as many of the fixed wing planes do. Certainly IMHO there is no better way whether RW or sim to really see the scenery than looking down while going forward in a chopper.

But I have become totally frustrated with the lack of feel with a chopper sim!! I always felt a chopper was much more of a living, breathing, reacting machine than any fixed wing I ever flew. And I can't get my arms around the fact that doesn't happen in a sim I can afford!:(:(

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi Michael!

I personally just flew GA planes and, as far as choppers are concerned, I had noticed in FS8 that a good thing about was to tweak the sensivity settings of controls in the appropriate panel of the sim. I don't possess rudders on the other hand, which seems to me important also in terms of controlling a helicopter :pilot: But i didn't really kept on with choppers in FSX

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Hi Michael!

I personally just flew GA planes and, as far as choppers are concerned, I had noticed in FS8 that a good thing about was to tweak the sensivity settings of controls in the appropriate panel of the sim. I don't possess rudders on the other hand, which seems to me important also in terms of controlling a helicopter :pilot: But i didn't really kept on with choppers in FSX

Yes G'erard,

Especially with the single main rotor birds the rudder is hugely important!! It's what controls the tail rotor to counteract the torque of the main rotor!!!! At cruise speed air passing the airframe will pretty much keep the plane pointed straight. But once you lower airspeed the entire plane will soon start to spin in the opposite rotation of the main rotor unless you pump in a bunch of tail rotor to keep the plane straight.

In fact we were taught, in the failure of or failure to control the tail rotor, fly fast and straight till you find a large open area. Land with as much forward air speed as you dare, then instantly apply the rotor brake and hope the bird doesn't spin like a top and/or turn over on it's side from the uncontrolled main rotor torque!!:eek::eek: Thankfully!!!! I never RW had to experience a real tail rotor failure.

My problem "flying" a chopper in any sim I''ve tried is the lack of tactile feedback in the seat of my pants and the controls. Hovering a chopper is like rubbing your belly in one direction and your head in the opposite at the same time. And too much/little belly rub or head rub at any given time can mean disaster. Now a lot of that is assisted by a "Stability Augmentation System" in some of the bigger more expensive birds. But the principle is the same, and yes even a good "SAS" can fail as well!

IMHO one of the main advantages of twin main rotor birds like the CH-46 and CH-47 is the counter-rotating main rotors tend to cancel most of that torque out. :cool::cool: Though in many situations, the extra weight and complication of two main rotors, transmissions, etc. is considered not a good thing.

Michael

Thanks for the tutorial :)

In fact, I mostly do not fly helicopters. I just interested me into for my site. I had also read that a chopper is so sensitive than it may turn just as you look a point you want to turn to. I likely will take some of your remarks into my own tutorial (if you don't mind; I surmise, on the other hand, that you piloted choppers -- I will reference that also, like "like a chopper pilot told me...") Cheers

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Thanks for the tutorial :)

I had also read that a chopper is so sensitive than it may turn just as you look a point you want to turn to. Cheers

That's pretty apt! In fact flying a chopper is a whole lot like riding a road racing motorcycle. I doubt I'll ever successfully ride a motorcycle in a sim either.

Keep with your great seriessssss! Each time plenty of atmospheres!:pilot:

One thing helos are great at is kicking up atmosphere. That's why I always carry a Swiffer duster. :)

All very impressive again Bob! :cool::cool::eek: Though I'm still convinced all Helo's are lethal....:eek:

As an accomplished graduate of the Peerhoven School of Modesty, all I can say is, "Of course, it's impressive!" :mad:

And Jan, in your hands an over ripe banana could be lethal.

Somehow Helo's and Bob don't seem to go well together.

I know. They're usually squat and bulbous. I'm more of a sleek streamlined guy. :rolleyes:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Archived