Thread: Grandkids ... Gotta love em

Default Grandkids ... Gotta love em

Hi All,

Yesterday I...attempted... a flight from KMEM to KSLC. Did all of the requisite planning, weather, SIDs route STAR , etc. Fired up the A319 and headed out. The flight was going very well, perfect in fact. Hit TOD descended uneventfully. The approach was to the ILS on 36R. Everything set up, got the intercept to the ILS. The flaps are coming down, speeds on the numbers, 20 mile final ... AND ...

The daughter and her family come to visit. Grandma and Grandpa are very happy to have them drop by. The 2 year old bee lines to my computer. Before I can intercept him he's grabbed the joystick and is banging it around. I'm not worried yet as I'm still letting George fly at this point. THEN THE UNTHINKABLE, little Ben starts pushing as many keys as he can reach. Anybody wanna guess what happened because I don't know for sure. But I can tell you that all of a sudden I wasn't seeing the Rocky Mountains but the vastness of some ocean, lots and lots of blue water.

Oh well, there's always another flight today. Grandkids ... gotta love em.
    Bill Mattson

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by bmatt569 View Post
    Hi All,

Yesterday I...attempted... a flight from KMEM to KSLC. Did all of the requisite planning, weather, SIDs route STAR , etc. Fired up the A319 and headed out. The flight was going very well, perfect in fact. Hit TOD descended uneventfully. The approach was to the ILS on 36R. Everything set up, got the intercept to the ILS. The flaps are coming down, speeds on the numbers, 20 mile final ... AND ...

The daughter and her family come to visit. Grandma and Grandpa are very happy to have them drop by. The 2 year old bee lines to my computer. Before I can intercept him he's grabbed the joystick and is banging it around. I'm not worried yet as I'm still letting George fly at this point. THEN THE UNTHINKABLE, little Ben starts pushing as many keys as he can reach. Anybody wanna guess what happened because I don't know for sure. But I can tell you that all of a sudden I wasn't seeing the Rocky Mountains but the vastness of some ocean, lots and lots of blue water.

Oh well, there's always another flight today. Grandkids ... gotta love em.
    All children should be kept on a lead until they learn basic commands: "Sit, Stay, Lie down, Bring Granpa a beer..."

...that kind of thing

And cats, too...

A similar thing once happened to me on short finals into Paris CDG, while carefully descending toward the runway center line and controlling the throttles (so both hands on the joystick) - out of nowhere the cat walks across the keyboard from left to right. Autopilot re-engaged, flaps retracted, gear up, full right aileron and elevators full down in four dainty steps before disappearing back out the door again.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    And cats, too...

A similar thing once happened to me on short finals into Paris CDG, while carefully descending toward the runway center line and controlling the throttles (so both hands on the joystick) - out of nowhere the cat walks across the keyboard from left to right. Autopilot re-engaged, flaps retracted, gear up, full right aileron and elevators full down in four dainty steps before disappearing back out the door again.
    Didn't happen to leave a dead mouse or rat on the keyboard for ya?
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Didn't happen to leave a dead mouse or rat on the keyboard for ya?
    Lord, no! It never made itself THAT useful!

Sent from my 5044Y using Tapatalk

Well, if he/she does, praise them heavily!
    They're helping support the clouder (a collection of cats in social setting, like a family) with food. Good kitties bring gifts, even if it's their favorite toy or a stuffed mouse toy.
    Praise them for their good deed. They deserve it.

Just shows you they love you. You're the Alpha, the clouder's leader. They want your approval and attention. Giving it to them only increases their happiness, and their bond with you. Well worth a few seconds of your time for the return in love and happiness they give you.

Can you tell we're cat people in our home?
    We've had 4 adopt us so far...
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Well, if he/she does, praise them heavily!
    They're helping support the clouder (a collection of cats in social setting, like a family) with food. Good kitties bring gifts, even if it's their favorite toy or a stuffed mouse toy.
    Praise them for their good deed. They deserve it.

Just shows you they love you. You're the Alpha, the clouder's leader. They want your approval and attention. Giving it to them only increases their happiness, and their bond with you. Well worth a few seconds of your time for the return in love and happiness they give you.

Can you tell we're cat people in our home?
    We've had 4 adopt us so far...
    Pat☺
    Sadly Jasmine died 6 years ago, aged 22. She was a complete pain and yes, we still miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Sadly Jasmine died 6 years ago, aged 22. She was a complete pain and yes, we still miss her.

Uh, oh! I must be babysitting her sister. This one adopted me.

Name:  PorchKitty.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  294.8 KB
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Uh, oh! I must be babysitting her sister. This one adopted me.

Name:  PorchKitty.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  294.8 KB
    Good grief, the likeness is uncanny! They can certainly tell who likes them, and waste no time taking advantage! Dogs have owners, Cats have staff - I often wondered how I came to be henpecked by a cat!

Cats have staff - I often wondered how I came to be henpecked by a cat!
    I am sorry for your loss. We lost one named Weird Al. Actually, Sir Al the Weird. He, and 3 siblings, were born in my easy chair one night while I was at work. Made my lovely wife happy. She'd wanted me to get rid of that chair for a while. That did the trick
    His mother looked just like the other two you guys posted. Named Gwenn.
    He had a habit of licking the toads in Yuma Az. Would come in stoned out his kitty mind. He died of cancer a few years back...

Anywho, Now, we have we have what we call the Four on the Floor!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151211_141844176 A.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	201421

Great kitties. I won't go into each one.
    By the way, Zippy; You feed a cat, you have a cat! Enjoy her ;p

Have fun!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now