Minute+ lag after selecting aircraft

TheRedBadger

Hi folks. Finally back to the flightsim world after five months (computer had a motherboard issue and the shop took forever to look at it/get it fixed). I've managed to get most of the stuff I used to have installed.

My biggest issue right now is after selecting an aircraft and clicking "OK", it takes about a minute for the aircraft screen to go back to the flight planner screen. I had Windows 8 when I started using FS9, however they downloaded W10 into this computer now so I am currently using that. Anything that may be causing this annoying lag? Help appreciated!

Oh, and this only happens for larger aircraft such as the MD80 and 757 (default aircraft like the Cessna are fine). It didn't always take that long to load them.

Carlos Si

The more, different, textures you have per plane, the longer that plane can take to load.

Another thing, suprisingly, that can slow a plane's load time is, of all things, 2 sections in the aircraft.cfg file. Under the [Weight and Balance] heading, the line max_number_of_stations = 33. The greater the number after the "=" sign, the slower it can load. Same for the [Contact_Points] section. It has a similar line.

If either line is the default 50, you can edit the aircraft.cfg to reduce it and see if it makes a difference. Just make sure you realize the Station_load.X= lines start counting at 0 not 1. So if there are, for example, 10 individual Station_load.X= lines in the [Weight_and_Balance] area, they will be numbered 0-9, not 1-10.

The same applies to the [Contact_Point] Section. There can be any number of point.X= lines, but they will start at 0 and count up. Just change the Max Number=X line to match how many lines there are.

It may help, it may not.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

This happens even with my Posky AA 757 which only has one weight station. It may be permanent, however I've noticed in the past that certain annoyances come and go overtime (regarding wait times), it'll be something I'll have to get used to otherwise. THanks!

UPDATE: So if I'm not mistaken, I think this lag is only observed when an aircraft is selected for the first time and it may be similar with sceneries. I think I recall in the past I experienced this.

Proof: been using one particular MD80 a lot today, didn't take very long to load in the menu.

Carlos Si

Nope... Do not uncab gauge.cab's

That could be looking for problems.

Thats funny then 'cos when I'm developing my models none of my gauges are cabbed - I only cab them just before publishing!

And I always leave the gauges in the models panel folder.

I don't uncab anything. It's as if FS2004 creates cookies for aircraft so it doesn't have to work as hard the next time when loading the aircraft, although I don't think that's the case. It's been a while since I've used the sim frequently enough to recall behavior, but I do feel like the sim's first time with a new addon takes a bit longer, but then operates at normal speed later on. Just a feeling...
Carlos Si

Archived