Lockheed Constellation dying mid-flight

jh1144

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my Constellation dying/losing RPM's mid-flight after about 10 min., which is causing me to crash. It first happened when I was flying in Montana, so I thought it was a fuel/air issue - but then the same thing happened at sea level. Any ideas as to what it could be? I've looked all over the engineers panel and don't see anything obvious. When I try to restart it mid-flight it turns over and revs high, then dies again.

Any help would be appreciated, as I LOVE this plane. :)

HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7

Make sure your Prop RPMs for all engines are in the green. That is the number 1 reason for engine failures shortly after takeoff. When taking off, you will notice that the RPMs are in the red zone, which is OK for a short time only. Even if you adjust it down into the yellow, it will fail sooner or later.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Make sure your Prop RPMs for all engines are in the green. That is the number 1 reason for engine failures shortly after takeoff. When taking off, you will notice that the RPMs are in the red zone, which is OK for a short time only. Even if you adjust it down into the yellow, it will fail sooner or later.

Makes total sense. I think I'm not backing off the throttle as much as I needed to. I will try this out tonight. Thank you, sir!

HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7

To access the status panel, right click the checkmark icon. This will display these parameters. Note that you cannot exceed the max flap and landing gear extension speeds while landing or you will have a hydraulic failure. Clicking the red numbers on this screen will fix this.

The other thing to note about the Connies is that the fuel tanks are not of equal size. If you are flying long distance, one pair of tanks will run out long before the other pair. Careful fuel management is required.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

To access the status panel, right click the checkmark icon. This will display these parameters. Note that you cannot exceed the max flap and landing gear extension speeds while landing or you will have a hydraulic failure. Clicking the red numbers on this screen will fix this.

The other thing to note about the Connies is that the fuel tanks are not of equal size. If you are flying long distance, one pair of tanks will run out long before the other pair. Careful fuel management is required.

Hope this helps,

Good to know - Thanks Tom!:pilot:

Makes total sense. I think I'm not backing off the throttle as much as I needed to. I will try this out tonight. Thank you, sir!

I just wanted to make sure you know the difference between engine RPM and prop RPM. Backing off on the throttles after takeoff is good. That will lower the Manifold Pressure into the safe green zone. Adjusting the Prop Levers will change the Prop RPM and lower them into the safe, green area around 2500rpm.

I just wanted to make sure you know the difference between engine RPM and prop RPM. Backing off on the throttles after takeoff is good. That will lower the Manifold Pressure into the safe green zone. Adjusting the Prop Levers will change the Prop RPM and lower them into the safe, green area around 2500rpm.

I do know the difference. I just wouldn't have thought the prop rpms would cause it to stall like that. I used to start each flight hot and ready with all systems on. Now I bring all the systems up manually and I thought I might be missing something. Thank you MrZippy.

Since you like the Connie that much then perhaps you will enjoy reading 'all about it' in this article. It covers it's history from the beginning to end. Link: http://www.historynet.com/the-legendary-lockheed-constellation.htm . (Copy link and paste into browser address).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Since you like the Connie that much then perhaps you will enjoy reading 'all about it' in this article. It covers it's history from the beginning to end. Link: http://www.historynet.com/the-legendary-lockheed-constellation.htm . (Copy link and paste into browser address).

Chuck B

Napamule

Excellent article! What a beautiful bird. Thank you, Chuck

Hi,

I fly Connie a lot and the engines also sometimes stop in flight mainly when I reduce the power. Usually just restart with auto-start (key icon). I know this is not addressing the real problem. Below seems to explain the reasons for engine starvation:

Engine failure is likely to occur when the engines are operated at

2400+ RPM for longer periods of time (watch out for this especially

after take-off) or if Spark control = ADVANCE at high RPM. Depending

on altitude, engines may fail within three to five minutes. Use the

Prop pitch master lever or the Engine pitch simicon to adjust RPM as

required for the current flight situation (see checklist). Check and

adjust Spark control. Do not exceed the Blue Bug Marker on the left

MAP gauge. On the Status panel, the engine h.p. readout uses the

following color codes:

white - OK, no danger of engine failure;

yellow - the current power setting will cause damage if left too long

in this configuration. Even after throttling back or adjusting

RPM it will remain yellow until the internal engine failure

Counter is back to zero (this may take a couple of minutes).

red - immediate action required – reduce throttle and prop pitch,

check spark control.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

thank for the info beroun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

do not know if it is this post but since I looked at it, my Connie stalls a lot. Recently not because of the high engine parameters but during descent when in idle. Trying to slow down below 200 knots and bit reluctant to extend the flaps. I cut the power to idle and ATC is bugging me to expedite the descent and Connie with 1000 fpm descent does not slow down. So to comply with ATC, I increase the descent rate and the engines stall. Thanks to the key Icon I can quickly start and land. But this is obviously not a solution. AND you guys are right, I should probably read the instructions more thoroughly.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi,

Most large piston aircraft were not allowed to go to idle - it over cooled the engines and caused large amounts of sludge and other contaminants to build up in the cylinders. Most Super Connies did not allow the MAP to fall below 24" or so, and the earlier ones somewhat lower than that. But none allowed you to lower the throttle below 18" MAP or so.

Modern ATC assumes that you can descend and slow down at the same time - large propliners could not do that. They either slowed down or they descended. So you must either slow down, drop a notch of flap, and then descend (at a relatively slow speed), or finish your descent early to allow time to slow down before the approach. I normally do the latter. Descend at relatively high speed, then slow down later. With the throttle set at 24" MAP and level flight it only takes a couple of minutes to slow down to flaps extend speed.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

I don't have this plane, but...

Could it need the Engine/Carb Anti-Ice turned on during descent? It may be that during descent with the engines at idle, the carbs/intake manifolds are icing up, causing the engine stalls.

Just a thought. I get so very few...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I don't have this plane.

I highly recommend it. I fly the MJ Super Conny about once a month to keep in practice with the older propliners. I agree with Tom, that they hate the throttles at idle. My thoughts are that ATC is fairly stupid at times about how fast some of these aircraft can climb or descend. Starting about 125-150 miles out from destination I start my own descent (asking ATC for permission, of course). Way too many times in the past, ATC has waited too long to get me down to the proper approach altitude and I wound up "diving for the deck".

Matter-O-fact, I think it's time for a Conny flight right now. Maybe get a cup of TWA coffee or some TWA.......hot British beverage. Hot cocoa!;)

Great post Top Gun,

Just did JFK-PHL with PAA Connie, having cup of coffee with it of course:)

And Pat thanks carb heat could do it, will give it a shot Just flip the switch next time.

Cheers guys

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

• 1 year later...
Hi,

I cut the power to idle and ATC is bugging me to expedite the descent and Connie with 1000 fpm descent does not slow down. So to comply with ATC, I increase the descent rate and the engines stall.

ATC isn't flying the plane. You are. You got the ILS, right? If the glide slope you're on is more comfortable and dependable for the aircraft, then that's what you want. ATC has your aircraft type in the flight plan you sent them, don't they? If they can't deal with it, then go around and/or make other arrangements.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATC isn't flying the plane. You are. You got the ILS, right? If the glide slope you're on is more comfortable and dependable for the aircraft, then that's what you want. ATC has your aircraft type in the flight plan you sent them, don't they? If they can't deal with it, then go around and/or make other arrangements.

This solves that problem:

http://www.mediafire.com/?68bgf92er8x5atf

It lets you deviate from ATC instructions, such as descend early, without being harrassed by ATC. Essential for the earlier era aircraft, in my opinion.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Archived