Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Lockheed Constellation dying mid-flight

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    34

    Default Lockheed Constellation dying mid-flight

    Hi,

    I'm having an issue with my Constellation dying/losing RPM's mid-flight after about 10 min., which is causing me to crash. It first happened when I was flying in Montana, so I thought it was a fuel/air issue - but then the same thing happened at sea level. Any ideas as to what it could be? I've looked all over the engineers panel and don't see anything obvious. When I try to restart it mid-flight it turns over and revs high, then dies again.

    Any help would be appreciated, as I LOVE this plane.
    ____________________________________________________________

    HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    15,007

    Default

    Make sure your Prop RPMs for all engines are in the green. That is the number 1 reason for engine failures shortly after takeoff. When taking off, you will notice that the RPMs are in the red zone, which is OK for a short time only. Even if you adjust it down into the yellow, it will fail sooner or later.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

    Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Make sure your Prop RPMs for all engines are in the green. That is the number 1 reason for engine failures shortly after takeoff. When taking off, you will notice that the RPMs are in the red zone, which is OK for a short time only. Even if you adjust it down into the yellow, it will fail sooner or later.
    Makes total sense. I think I'm not backing off the throttle as much as I needed to. I will try this out tonight. Thank you, sir!
    ____________________________________________________________

    HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7

  4. #4

    Default

    To access the status panel, right click the checkmark icon. This will display these parameters. Note that you cannot exceed the max flap and landing gear extension speeds while landing or you will have a hydraulic failure. Clicking the red numbers on this screen will fix this.

    The other thing to note about the Connies is that the fuel tanks are not of equal size. If you are flying long distance, one pair of tanks will run out long before the other pair. Careful fuel management is required.

    Hope this helps,
    Tom Gibson

    CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgibson_new View Post
    To access the status panel, right click the checkmark icon. This will display these parameters. Note that you cannot exceed the max flap and landing gear extension speeds while landing or you will have a hydraulic failure. Clicking the red numbers on this screen will fix this.

    The other thing to note about the Connies is that the fuel tanks are not of equal size. If you are flying long distance, one pair of tanks will run out long before the other pair. Careful fuel management is required.

    Hope this helps,
    Good to know - Thanks Tom!
    ____________________________________________________________

    HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    15,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jh1144 View Post
    Makes total sense. I think I'm not backing off the throttle as much as I needed to. I will try this out tonight. Thank you, sir!
    I just wanted to make sure you know the difference between engine RPM and prop RPM. Backing off on the throttles after takeoff is good. That will lower the Manifold Pressure into the safe green zone. Adjusting the Prop Levers will change the Prop RPM and lower them into the safe, green area around 2500rpm.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

    Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    I just wanted to make sure you know the difference between engine RPM and prop RPM. Backing off on the throttles after takeoff is good. That will lower the Manifold Pressure into the safe green zone. Adjusting the Prop Levers will change the Prop RPM and lower them into the safe, green area around 2500rpm.
    I do know the difference. I just wouldn't have thought the prop rpms would cause it to stall like that. I used to start each flight hot and ready with all systems on. Now I bring all the systems up manually and I thought I might be missing something. Thank you MrZippy.
    ____________________________________________________________

    HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7

  8. #8

    Default

    Since you like the Connie that much then perhaps you will enjoy reading 'all about it' in this article. It covers it's history from the beginning to end. Link: http://www.historynet.com/the-legend...stellation.htm . (Copy link and paste into browser address).
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    Since you like the Connie that much then perhaps you will enjoy reading 'all about it' in this article. It covers it's history from the beginning to end. Link: http://www.historynet.com/the-legend...stellation.htm . (Copy link and paste into browser address).
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Excellent article! What a beautiful bird. Thank you, Chuck
    ____________________________________________________________

    HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    Several of these old ladies still flying:

    http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-airworthy.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 03:15 PM
  2. The way it used to be: A flight on a Lockheed Constellation
    By Lou_Betti in forum The Outer Marker
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 10:56 AM
  3. Lockheed Constellation quick flight.
    By meine in forum MSFS Screen Shot Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 10:05 AM
  4. Lockheed Constellation
    By donnant in forum FS2002
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 10:15 PM
  5. looking for LOCKHEED CONSTELLATION
    By budgiebird in forum FS2002
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2002, 05:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •