3 Monitors and frame rates

BigT-65

What kind of a frame rate hit can I expect with three monitors in widescreen with 5760 x 1080 resolution. My system consist of an i7 920 processor OCed to 3.2. 12 GB DDR3 memory, Asus GTX 960 graphics with 4 GB DDR5 memory. The 3 monitors are each 24" Asus monitors. I am running FSX Steam Edition and most of the planes I fly are A2A warbirds and their Piper Comanche 250, my scenery is all ORBX. When I had one monitor I was consistently getting frame rates in the mid 30s, now with three monitors they are in the low teens to the low 20s.
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500 GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS.[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Weather isn't presenting too much of a problem but big cities and airports do. Frame rates get down to less than 10. I have just moved to a new house and once I get settled in I am going to upgrade my computer in hopes of fixing this.
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500 GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS.[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Weather isn't presenting too much of a problem but big cities and airports do. Frame rates get down to less than 10. I have just moved to a new house and once I get settled in I am going to upgrade my computer in hopes of fixing this.

Budget for an I7 6700+ level CPU and GTX1080 if you do.

I really don't think you need a 1080. Those are super expensive due to the miner craze. I reckon all you need is a GTX 1050 TI 4 GB. This is what I have with two monitors. Albeit, I don't expand FS on both monitors. I use the second monitor for LittleNavMap and music while I fly.

I appreciate the advice. I was considering this though. Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz processor, Asus Prime Z370-A motherboard and Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200. I was planing to keep my 960 graphics card. Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate the advice. I was considering this though. Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz processor, Asus Prime Z370-A motherboard and Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200. I was planing to keep my 960 graphics card. Any thoughts on this?

BigT,

I see you've zoomed in on the big issue with FSX and that is CPU speed!! The 7700K with DDR4 3200 is certainly a good call. Though not seeing it mentioned, liquid cooling really works so you can Turbo your chip up to 4.8 or so and it stays happy.

I can't comment on the 960. I know nothing about it. But one thing I truly recommend is that whatever GPU you use be a NVIDIA model. From my experience, across the cards I've tried, the NVIDIA eyefinity software handles multiple screens better than any I've seen. And that's for other PC functions as well as flight simulation. ;) And don't forget the PSU. Considering the low cost of PSU wattage compared to what else you're spending I'd recommend you go with at least 650 watts!

BTW: I love my 7700K!! :cool::cool:

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Good luck finding a 1080Ti. The bit coin miners and such are gobbling up the video cards at such a high rate that production can not keep up and the prices are skyrocketing.

I also love my i7-7700k overclocked to 4.8Ghz. Solid performing processor. I recommend it highly. :)

BigT,

I see you've zoomed in on the big issue with FSX and that is CPU speed!! The 7700K with DDR4 3200 is certainly a good call. Though not seeing it mentioned, liquid cooling really works so you can Turbo your chip up to 4.8 or so and it stays happy.

I can't comment on the 960. I know nothing about it. But one thing I truly recommend is that whatever GPU you use be a NVIDIA model. From my experience, across the cards I've tried, the NVIDIA eyefinity software handles multiple screens better than any I've seen. And that's for other PC functions as well as flight simulation. ;) And don't forget the PSU. Considering the low cost of PSU wattage compared to what else you're spending I'd recommend you go with at least 650 watts!

BTW: I love my 7700K!! :cool::cool:

Rupert

My PSU is a Corsair 850 Watt modular unit.

Hi, Just add another video card. That is what I did, I run the cockpit on one card and put other displays such as GPS or a Moving Map on the second card. I have three monitors, works great. The cards I use are GTX750TI. The Cryptocurency Miners go for the higher end cards so the prices are not to bad.

David

FSX Steam Ed

Flight Sim Computers

ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer Motherboard

Intel i7-4790S Processor 4 Cores 8 Pipelines Liquid Cooled

3 SanDisk SSD 240 Gig Each in a Raid 5 Configuration

2 Nvidia GTX 750Ti Video Cards Running 3 Monitors

4 4 Gig DDR3 Mem = 12 Gig

Asus G750VX Gaming Laptop

17 In 3D Monitor

Archived