What do you think about this PC config for Prepar3D v4.1

gnietode

Hi guys,

I am thinking in buying a new PC to move from FSX to Prepar3d. What do you think about this config please?

Intel® Core™ i7-7700K

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080

SDRAM 32 GB DDR4-2400 (4 x 8 GB)

2 hard disk, one SSD 512GB and one of 2TB 7200rpm

Power Supply 500 watts

Liquid Refrigeration

It is an HP Omen which I will combine with an Omen monitor, 27 inches and NVIDIA G-SYNC.

Thank you very much in advance.

Since you're saying this is a HP Omen, I'll assume it's an over-the-counter system.

And it IS a very nice system, but you need to be aware that you cannot really add anything to this system without changing the power supply. And this may not be a standard form-factor power supply, so you can run into issues here. I had that problem myself with a Dell system at one time, when I wanted a better graphics card.

But don't let this discourage you, the specs are pretty good!

Jorgen

Since you're saying this is a HP Omen, I'll assume it's an over-the-counter system.

And it IS a very nice system, but you need to be aware that you cannot really add anything to this system without changing the power supply. And this may not be a standard form-factor power supply, so you can run into issues here. I had that problem myself with a Dell system at one time, when I wanted a better graphics card.

But don't let this discourage you, the specs are pretty good!

Jorgen

Thx Jorgen.

What do you mean by over the counter system? Not familiar with the concept. Thx!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

That is the same as an off-the-shelf system, i.e. a system that you buy ready-made.

I don't know how technically inclined you are, but it might be cheaper to buy the components and build the system yourself. I did that with my own. That way you know exactly what components are in there, and how to put them in and get them out.

Jorgen

That is the same as an off-the-shelf system, i.e. a system that you buy ready-made.

I don't know how technically inclined you are, but it might be cheaper to buy the components and build the system yourself. I did that with my own. That way you know exactly what components are in there, and how to put them in and get them out.

Jorgen

Understood! Thx

I agree that the PSU could be limiting. Also you do not mention if the 7700 is overclocked. That CPU should definitely be in the 4.8-5.0ghz range.

Otherwise system looks very good - only problem with considering building it yourself right now is the bit coin miners have driven the cost of GPU's very high.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I agree with the others, that PSU is way smaller than I would have recommended. Having said that, otherwise it sounds like a very good system.

And as Vic said, your CPU should be very happy running 4.8Ghz or higher.

Another recommendation I usually make, and it applies even more so where PSU power might be an issue is self powered usb hubs. If you run much on usb such as a yoke, rudders, joystick etc. I highly recommend you put all your usb equipment through a self powered hub!

Self powered hubs are cheap! Usually under $30, and just plug into your surge protect system with their own built in transformer. (You do have this new rig on a surge protector don't you!!??) The usb equipment then plugs directly into the hub, and can communicate directly to the computer without dragging the rail voltage down.

Running lots of usb stuff without separate dedicated power can quickly draw down the voltage on your motherboard. Low voltage means higher amperage is required for each and every powered device on your motherboard. High amperage always equals high heat. And that's never good. :mad:

Happy Flying!!:cool:

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thank you very much to all for your input. I prefer to buy an OTC one than setting up one customized by myself. Initial idea, it is to not overclock it. I think have enough processor to move Prepar3d without too much problem.

Will look for this self powered USB Hubs as I think it is a very good solution.

The model I am looking for it is OTC PC for gaming, created by HP. It also has liquid refrigeration.

Just waiting for a discount to buy it ;)

Thanks guys

And lots of USB devices NOT connected through a powered hub places an even greater load on the PSU.

My own PSU is 700 W, and my i7-7700K runs at the native rate of 4.2 GHz. My graphics card is a GTX 960, but hopefully real soon now I'll get myself a GTX 1080Ti - the PSU should be powerful enough.

Jorgen

Thanks Jorgen! That's exactly what I was trying to say!! In fact re-reading it, I think that is what I said.

"Self powered hubs are cheap! Usually under $30, and just plug into your surge protect system with their own built in transformer. (You do have this new rig on a surge protector don't you!!??) The usb equipment then plugs directly into the hub, and can communicate directly to the computer without dragging the rail voltage down.

Running lots of usb stuff without separate dedicated power can quickly draw down the voltage on your motherboard. Low voltage means higher amperage is required for each and every powered device on your motherboard. High amperage always equals high heat. And that's never good."

Apparently I didn't make myself clear enough!!:o

Rupert

Thank you very much to all for your input. I prefer to buy an OTC one than setting up one customized by myself. Initial idea, it is to not overclock it. I think have enough processor to move Prepar3d without too much problem.

Will look for this self powered USB Hubs as I think it is a very good solution.

The model I am looking for it is OTC PC for gaming, created by HP. It also has liquid refrigeration.

Just waiting for a discount to buy it ;)

Thanks guys

I find I usually have the best luck finding things liked a powered usb hub at NewEgg.Com. I fact I just bought another one made by Roswell for a rig I'm building for $17.99 US. ;)

Rupert

I find I usually have the best luck finding things liked a powered usb hub at NewEgg.Com. I fact I just bought another one made by Roswell for a rig I'm building for $17.99 US. ;)

Rupert

Thx Rupert!

Archived