FSX wont open because of friend's 'joke'

fantastic1

So, I was being stupid and let my friend use my laptop for a few days. He was messing around in fsx and decided he wanted Aerosoft's CRJ 700/900. he went online and downloaded a crack. Included in this was a file 'Aerosoft Cracker V2.exe'. He ran it. It installed a virus. when I got my computer back, I tried to fly, and FSX wouldnt open. I opened up my antimalware comtrol panel and ran a scan and found out that he had run Aerosoft Cracker. I deleted it, used my antimalware to delete it. FSX still will not open.

Any Tips???

you will be my new favorite person

Well, first thing I'd try, removing the fsx cfg file (transfer in a temp folder) and try again.

Hopefully, fsx will start by creating a new cfg. Nothing to loose to try...

The cfg file is in: C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

"Any tips?" Yea, find a different friend. You may not get much help on this one since most of the people on this forum are not too friendly with any type of cracks and related issues. How far will this excellent hobby continue if your "friend" tries to steal from developers? Send him a thank you card from all of us for the lesson both of you learned.

Better still, remember what the "P" in PC stands for.

Don't lend out your computer to "friends" or to family, or let them play anything on your computer. unless they know not to download or install anything you specifically approve of beforehand. Supervise them carefully anyway!

Where I lived before I got to clean up my brother-in-law's computers several times because he let everyone in the neighbourhood (or so it seemed at least) play with them, so they acquired more or less all known viruses and malware in addition to all kinds of superfluous Charlie Romeo Alpha Papa.

Jorgen

So, I was being stupid and let my friend use my laptop for a few days. He was messing around in fsx and decided he wanted Aerosoft's CRJ 700/900. he went online and downloaded a crack. Included in this was a file 'Aerosoft Cracker V2.exe'. He ran it. It installed a virus. when I got my computer back, I tried to fly, and FSX wouldnt open. I opened up my antimalware comtrol panel and ran a scan and found out that he had run Aerosoft Cracker. I deleted it, used my antimalware to delete it. FSX still will not open.

Any Tips???

you will be my new favorite person

Chop his bloody fingers off - hah hah! We shall call him Stumpy! funny joke!

Joking aside: If the FSX .cfg trick doesn't work try a repair install. If that doesn't work then its a full reinstall I'm afraid - you just can't take the risk that some element of the virus is left behind.

And as others have said: Time to change your `friends`...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived