Need Help with Repainting Carenado Cessna 172N

Hi I'm currently trying to create a texture of a real-world Cessna 172N Skyhawk, N53630, and I'm starting off with using the Carenado blank textures they provide on their website, and using paint.NET to paint them, however, the "Alabeo172a_T" textures appear bugged:

FSX43.PNG

FSX44.PNG

FSX45.PNG

The Alabeo172a_T textures are view-able in the folder while the others are not, strangely.

How can I fix the Alabeo172a_T textures??? :confused:

35040379025_96b806bea3_b.jpg

N53630, the Cessna I'm trying to make a texture of.

UPDATE: Nevermind I found the answer. The Cessna 172's textures are Extended BMP DXT5's, so I just exported/saved them from DXTbmp program as BMP DXT5 files if they weren't. This post is kinda pointless now.

"Patches" is now coming along nicely!

FSX46.PNG

Just Finished my first repaint of any aircraft in FSX, N53630, aka "Patches"!

FSX47.PNG

FSX48.PNG

Edited by Johnny Boy the Pilot
Found Answer|Finished Repaint

• 5 months later...

Hello, nice job on that!

I am getting more and more annoyed with trying to repaint this aircraft - even adding repaints doesn't work properly. Here is an example:

https://prnt.sc/kdqzvj

https://prnt.sc/kdr0jn

As you can see, the colors are all weird, and there is the X above the reg, which comes from the FSX logo. I am really frustrated, because I love this little aircraft and I so want to do my own repaint for it, but it just doesn't work for me. I use the blank textures, they were at first like in the image above, then I flipped the image files and converted them to DDS DXT5 - oddly, then they kinda worked, although the weird FSX writings appeared again, and also some patches were light blue. If I use the BMP DXT5, then it is all broken, light blue, and the propeller, when turning, appears like a solid polygon.

Has anybody an idea what the heck I am doing wrong?

If fsx is set to "DX10 preview mode" set it to DX9 instead. In fsx-settings-graphics.

That is a band aid that fixes the symptom, not the problem.

What the OP is seeing is a result of missing textures. When FSX, in DX10 mode, cannot find a texture being called by the model it will substitute a file named bkg.bmp (which can be found in the root FSX folder) for the missing texture.

The cause of the OP's problem is that he is missing either the bump or spec (or both) textures. An easy fix is to place a copy of the texture.cfg in the folder containing the new livery. Just copy it from one of the other texture folders for that plane.

peace,

the Bean

Sorry, this is not for the OP, it is for WarIsa92

Edited by StringBean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thank you for your explanation, I played around with copying textures from other repaints into "mine", at least I got the plane white textures to work. With my own it still doesn't work, but since I know the root of the problem, I should be able to fix that. It is still annoying as hell to me to figure that stuff out :-D

• 1 year later...

I looked at the Carenado website for the paint kit blank textures for the Carenado C172II N and can't find them. Can anyone tell me where to get them?

Eric

Hi I'm currently trying to create a texture of a real-world Cessna 172N Skyhawk, N53630, and I'm starting off with using the Carenado blank textures they provide on their website, and using paint.NET to paint them, however, the "Alabeo172a_T" textures appear bugged:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201271[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201272[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201273[/ATTACH]

The Alabeo172a_T textures are view-able in the folder while the others are not, strangely.

How can I fix the Alabeo172a_T textures??? :confused:

35040379025_96b806bea3_b.jpg

N53630, the Cessna I'm trying to make a texture of.

UPDATE: Nevermind I found the answer. The Cessna 172's textures are Extended BMP DXT5's, so I just exported/saved them from DXTbmp program as BMP DXT5 files if they weren't. This post is kinda pointless now.

"Patches" is now coming along nicely!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201274[/ATTACH]

Just Finished my first repaint of any aircraft in FSX, N53630, aka "Patches"!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201275[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201276[/ATTACH]

Check out my Real World Flights on the Eric Flight YouTube Channel

Eric Flight YouTube Channel

Check out my Flight Sim Livestreams on Twitch

Eric Flight Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]