Direct X Diagnostic Tool causing game crash?

pilotguy251

I am attempting to run the Coolsky Super 80 Pro within Lockheed Martin's Perpar3D flight simulator, but each time I load the plane, and configure the gauges as they are needed for flight, I notice that somehow the Direct X Diagnostic Tool is triggered in the task manager under the simulator details, causing the game to freeze, and eventually CTD. I have tested the same plane and configuration within Microsoft Flight Simulator: Steam Edition on Windows 7 with the same results. I was able to grab a log file from FSX after the crash which showed the access violation error as being the cause of the crash. But would that also tie in to the diagnostic tool being engaged? I also produced a log file for P3D in Windows 10, during the crash event, and it read similarly, which is why the 7 log file is subbed in, as it was easiest to find at the time of posting. Both OS's suffer the issue in short. NOTE: I HAVE ALREADY been in contact with the official Super 80 Pro forums, going so far as to having the developers send me additional, unpublished gauge files to test in my simulator. Each of them has caused this issue to trigger.

What could the issue be here? Thanks.

Microsoft ® Windows Debugger Version 10.0.17061.1000 X86 Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [E:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx_62615_crash_2018_1_21T2_46_9C1.mdmp] Comment: 'Minidump: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe ' User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available Symbol search path is: srv* Executable search path is: Windows 7 Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free x86 compatible Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Machine Name: Debug session time: Sat Jan 20 20:46:09.000 2018 (UTC - 6:00) System Uptime: not available Process Uptime: 0 days 0:01:55.000 ................................................................ ................................................................ ................................................................ .................... This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it. The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr. (47c.984): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available) eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=4f4f5828 edx=6c05d5a0 esi=00000ee0 edi=04929549 eip=77430c72 esp=002ad37c ebp=002ad38c iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc cs=0023 ss=002b ds=002b es=002b fs=0053 gs=002b efl=00000246 ntdll!ZwGetContextThread+0x12: 77430c72 83c404 add esp,4 ************* Path validation summary ************** Response Time (ms) Location Deferred srv*

ADDITIONAL INFO: This crash only occurs when the side window buttons are engaged with the WPT button, and the Nav Display is set to "MAP". I have linked a photo of the buttons I am referring to.

http://image.ibb.co/e84T96/2018_1_17_11_2_33_75.png

I am attempting to run the Coolsky Super 80 Pro within Lockheed Martin's Perpar3D flight simulator, but each time I load the plane, and configure the gauges as they are needed for flight, I notice that somehow the Direct X Diagnostic Tool is triggered in the task manager under the simulator details, causing the game to freeze, and eventually CTD. I have tested the same plane and configuration within Microsoft Flight Simulator: Steam Edition on Windows 7 with the same results. I was able to grab a log file from FSX after the crash which showed the access violation error as being the cause of the crash. But would that also tie in to the diagnostic tool being engaged? I also produced a log file for P3D in Windows 10, during the crash event, and it read similarly, which is why the 7 log file is subbed in, as it was easiest to find at the time of posting. Both OS's suffer the issue in short. NOTE: I HAVE ALREADY been in contact with the official Super 80 Pro forums, going so far as to having the developers send me additional, unpublished gauge files to test in my simulator. Each of them has caused this issue to trigger.

What could the issue be here? Thanks.

Microsoft ® Windows Debugger Version 10.0.17061.1000 X86 Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [E:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx_62615_crash_2018_1_21T2_46_9C1.mdmp] Comment: 'Minidump: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe ' User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available Symbol search path is: srv* Executable search path is: Windows 7 Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free x86 compatible Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Machine Name: Debug session time: Sat Jan 20 20:46:09.000 2018 (UTC - 6:00) System Uptime: not available Process Uptime: 0 days 0:01:55.000 ................................................................ ................................................................ ................................................................ .................... This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it. The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr. (47c.984): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available) eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=4f4f5828 edx=6c05d5a0 esi=00000ee0 edi=04929549 eip=77430c72 esp=002ad37c ebp=002ad38c iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc cs=0023 ss=002b ds=002b es=002b fs=0053 gs=002b efl=00000246 ntdll!ZwGetContextThread+0x12: 77430c72 83c404 add esp,4 ************* Path validation summary ************** Response Time (ms) Location Deferred srv*

Your post and location refers to Prepar3d flight simulator, the dump file refers to FSX steam.

Something not adding up here and if you don't give us the relevant information for the relevant sim there is no point in continuing. Clearly the only causation factor common to all sims and all OS is YOUR computer.

Supply full OS information, FULL details of the sim (which version of P3D?), FULL version information for Coolsky Super 80 Pro (I'm not aware of a specific version for P3D?) and full details of the error log for what you want us to look at.

First - as pointed out by mallcott at post #3, according to the product info page it is only for FSX and FSX-SE so may not work correctly in P3D anyway.

Second - Although intended for both FSX and FSX-SE for it to run in FSX-SE you must further install the Steam Edition Hotfix after installing the main installation package. You can find the Steam Edition Hotfix in the Updates section.

Third - Check that you have the required DX version needed for the product. It could be that you are missing a specific version completely or, if the correct version required is installed, you may have corrupted files associated with that version. Running the DX Diag tool by itself will ID any problems with the current installed version(s) of DX that you have.

WRT to DX it is important to note that some addons may need different versions of DX than that used (and normally associated) with FSX. For example FSX requires DX9 to run but a 3rd party add on may require DX10 or later for some of its functions.

Regards

Brian

I have the additional hotfixes needed for FSX:SE. Thought that would have been implied when I said I was in contact with the developers, getting other gauge files for Steam Edition that had not even been published... Scratch the Prepar3D issue entirely. Though I'm getting the same issue in both sims, it seems that P3D is just too much of a distraction for the forum as a whole. No issues found by the diagnostic tool. I will look to see if I can even install a previous version of DirectX that would be compatible with this plane.

I suggest getting the DX Redistribution package from HERE - this contains all versions of DX from V9 to V12.

Download and save the file to a temp location then run the file using admin rights. It will check your system for installed versions and then replace missing or corrupted files in any installed version and also install any missing versions.

Regards

Brian

Scratch the Prepar3D issue entirely. Though I'm getting the same issue in both sims, it seems that P3D is just too much of a distraction for the forum as a whole.

If you're getting the same issue in both sims, that is a valuable clue. What module is failing in P3D?

Cheers!

Luke

Thank you for the reply. For some reason, neither of the log files, from either sim, nor the event viewer shows a faulting module when the crash occurs. I am wanting to say that it is the Super80pro.dll gauge file that is causing the issue, given that this seems to be a gauge issue when a certain button is clicked. I've always had issues with this plane triggering Windows error systems in one way or another. Wish I had known this before paying nearly $60 for it.

Below is what the event viewer reads. Specifies that the faulting module is unknown.

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 2/8/2018 3:31:07 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Hamhari

Description:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.4.22.19868, time stamp: 0x588f7cbf

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x52be0000

Faulting process id: 0x2318

Faulting application start time: 0x01d3a1230e62b233

Faulting application path: D:\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 1defa841-8dde-4275-8fe6-85e3496db6ae

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

Hamhari

Prepar3D.exe

588f7cbf

unknown

c0000005

52be0000

01d3a1230e62b233

D:\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe

unknown

1defa841-8dde-4275-8fe6-85e3496db6ae

Whilst the product info page does not give any indication of P3D compatibility, based on the fact the problem happens in BOTH P3D and FSX and, the specific comment RE a certain button in post #9, I suspect that the problem is related to the product itself and not the sim platform.

I also think that it is likely the issue is with the gauge that contains the button and not necessary the .dll file itself. It should be remembered that a .dll (Dynamic Link Library) file acts, as the name suggests, like a library and contains instructions that other programs can call upon to do certain things. In this case, its specifically for the gauges of the product and, as such, many of the other gauges will be also 'polling' the contents of the file to perform the task required.

The code for the gauge itself, will be written into the corresponding .xml for it and here there will be some sort of instruction that details what happens when the button is selected. This may be wromg or there could be a mis-match between the details for the action in both files.

The only way to prove it is to test the gauge's functionality and confirm that the problem is indeed confined to a single button. You can then go to the Cool Sky forum with specific details of the problem.

Regards

Brian

Sounds good. I will take a look at this information and see if I can track down that XML. It has been a few years since I have done this type of work regarding sims, so XML and DLL relations had slipped me. Will it have the same reference name? Super80pro.xml or something like that? Basically thought the same thing in regards to it being a problem with the aircraft itself, and not the simulator since it is occurring in both, one of them officially supported by the developers.

I was able to extract the Super80Pro.dll, where I ended up finding all of the gauge files and bitmap images. In the .manifest file is what looks to be about what would be contained in an xml file. I did not see anything that looked conflicting, which is why I am posting here.

true

Sorry for the late response - have had a busy weekend away......

What you need to do is ID the following.......

The name of the gauge or panel that contains the button and the actual function of the button - use the manual, if possible, to ID them.

The gauge or panel will most probably have its own .xml file. For example, if the button is on a MFD labelled as MFD A in the manual look for a corresponding .xml file called MFD_A.xml or similiar. This file will contain list of the button functions that will detail what type of button action is performed (e.g. left clcik= on, left click = on/right click = off or left click = rotate clockwise /right click = rotate anti-clockwise, etc)

It will also give details of the .gau file to be used to display the data/function assigned to the button. For example MFD A might have button 1 assigned to display Eng data, button 2 for Fuel data, button 3 for Electrical etc and each of these will most likely have its own .gau file. Some buttons that have multiple options may have multiple entries and multiple .gau files

Check the entry to make sure that called .gau file is present - i.e. if button 1 points to Eng_Data.gau make sure that you have file of that name. If you don't have a gauge of that name but say one called Eng_Data1.gau then either change the name of the file to Eng_Data.gau or edit the .xml entry to point to Eng_Data1.gau - as always make a backup copy of any files before renaming or editing.

Out of interest what is the 'function' of the mis-behaving button....is it something that can be assigned to a keyboard or joystick command? If so try it and see it functions correctly......

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the reply. I understand as I have been busy as well. The function of the button is to display NAV waypoints on the Nav Display when in Map mode. I don't know how possible this is, but I have looked just about everywhere, the Panel folder, the Gauge folder, and in the AppData sim folder, but I cannot find any XML files that match any gauges for this bird. It would be something along the lines of Mode Selector and Declutter Buttons for the name, but I am seeing XML files for many other planes, just not this one. Could it be possible that this plane does not use them for reference?

Another possibility is that the files them selves are contained within a .cab file. Depending on how the developer has configured the panel .cab files associated wtih the model will be located within the model's panel folder or in the Gauges folder, either as a standalone item or within a dedicated folder named after the product.

I suggest making a copy of any .cab that seems associated with the model, place them in temp folder and then extract the contents to see if there any likely candidates. Google how to extract/rebuild .cab files as any changes you make will need to incorporated back into the .cab file. Obviously, make sure that you make a backup copy of the original .cab before testing the edited one.

Regards

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to revive this thread after so long, but I appreciate all the help everyone has provided. I was never able to find the individual .cab files for this plane. Looked all through the sim folder(s). My next guess is that if they do exist, they are deep off somewhere in the System32 folder. Probably sounds strange, but that's just the experience I've had with these developers. Hate to do it, but I'm going to have to give this up. The only thing I can think of now is that it is a conflict with either the OS (not likely since I have tested it both in Windows 7 and 10), or my system hardware configurations (more likely since I have 7 and 10 installed on separate hard drives but on the same system.) If I remember correctly, I used to do successful flights with this plane on my current system hardware, but either something updated a certain way, or a new line of code was added that just didn't agree with the operation of the Flight 1 Super 80 Pro. One of these days, I may try to revive a factory stock computer here in the house, install one of the sims on it, along with the plane, and see how it runs, and if I get the same issue. If not, then it would be more likely that the hardware and driver thing is the issue.

-H.

The only other thing I can suggest is to try a 'dummy' install of the product outside of FSX - this will allow you check the contents of what is installed and allow you to attempt a manual install to see if it makes a difference. Try it first in the OS that you had it previously working.

Most products that have installers will look for either a valid registry entry for FSX, look for a valid instance of the FSX executable file (FSX.exe) or will be programmed to use the standard default install path of FSX (i.e. C:\Program............). They should, however, be able to be pointed to a location of your choice.

With that in mind........

1. Create a dummy FSX folder - say at C:\DummyFSX

2. Create the following sub-folders that are normally associated with an aircraft model:

SimObjects - and within this folder a further sub-folder called Airplanes.

Effects - and within this folder a further sub-folder called Texture.

Guages

Modules (See Note below)

Addon Modules (See Note below)

Texture

Sound

3. Run the installer and point it to the dummy location - if you get an error message saying that it cannot find the FSX.exe file, cancel the install, place a copy of the FSX.exe file into the dummy folder and try again.

Once the installer has run its course you will be able to see what files/folders have been created and then manually move them to the main FSX folder. Note that it is possible that some files may have been written to other default locations (for example any included docs or pre-set flight plans).

NOTE: WRT Modules. Most addons that make use of 'modules' to get something down will place the necessary files within the 'Modules' folder - one of the two options I have listed is a default FSX folder and the other is one that is created by some installers. Can't remember which is which as I am not at my FSX rig to verify. However, irrespective of this, in FSX all references regarding the use of 'modules' is stored in the dll.xml file (which is located in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX) - not sure for P3D but I assume that it will have a similar file.

As this is a default FSX file, and if the Super80 product uses a 'module' function, it would have been updated during the install process. You will need to edit the appropriate entry in the dll.xml file (using notepad) to change the path to the required folder in FSX as it will be point to the dummy install location. I therefore suggest that you make a backup copy of this file before carrying out the dummy install.

Regards

Brian

The only other thing I can suggest is to try a 'dummy' install of the product outside of FSX - this will allow you check the contents of what is installed and allow you to attempt a manual install to see if it makes a difference. Try it first in the OS that you had it previously working.

Most products that have installers will look for either a valid registry entry for FSX, look for a valid instance of the FSX executable file (FSX.exe) or will be programmed to use the standard default install path of FSX (i.e. C:\Program............). They should, however, be able to be pointed to a location of your choice.

2. Create the following sub-folders that are normally associated with an aircraft model:

Guages

Modules (See Note below)

Texture

Sound

3. Run the installer and point it to the dummy location - if you get an error message saying that it cannot find the FSX.exe file, cancel the install, place a copy of the FSX.exe file into the dummy folder and try again.

Once the installer has run its course you will be able to see what files/folders have been created and then manually move them to the main FSX folder. Note that it is possible that some files may have been written to other default locations (for example any included docs or pre-set flight plans).

NOTE: WRT Modules. Most addons that make use of 'modules' to get something down will place the necessary files within the 'Modules' folder - one of the two options I have listed is a default FSX folder and the other is one that is created by some installers. Can't remember which is which as I am not at my FSX rig to verify. However, irrespective of this, in FSX all references regarding the use of 'modules' is stored in the dll.xml file (which is located in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX) - not sure for P3D but I assume that it will have a similar file.

As this is a default FSX file, and if the Super80 product uses a 'module' function, it would have been updated during the install process. You will need to edit the appropriate entry in the dll.xml file (using notepad) to change the path to the required folder in FSX as it will be point to the dummy install location. I therefore suggest that you make a backup copy of this file before carrying out the dummy install.

Before jumping in, late to the party AND with duff info, READ his previous post:

HE GAVE UP.

Guages

Modules (See Note below)

Texture

Sound

Awesome, thank you. I will make sure to go back through that process when I get some file cleanup and restructuring done, and perhaps on a new system. I did give up for the time being, but I really appreciate your commitment to this thread, as it may help others in the future, and it will always be here for the day I feel ambitious in getting this working again.

-H.

Before jumping in, late to the party AND with duff info, READ his previous post:

HE GAVE UP.

With all due respect I suggest that you read the thread THROUGHLY - you will see that the OP and I have exchanged a number of posts in an attempt to resolve the issue.

@ pilotguy251 - glad to have been of help. Hope you get it sorted some day......happy flyin'

Regards

Brian

Archived