Mixing monitor resolutions

Philipei

Hi,

My setup includes:

i7-7700 4.2GHz - not overclocked

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080

32GB (4x8) DDR4

Enclosed cockpit with 4 Monitors - 3 for external views, 1 for instruments.

I use 3 AOC 2369 monitors for the side views and the instrument panel - 1920 x 1080 , 60 Hz, and the resolution is fine. I use a large, c.37 inch, pretty old (maybe 10 years) full HD 1920 x 1080, Philips TV for the front screen and the resolution on it is noticeably poorer, but tolerable. (I don't use the full 37 inch screen but a reduced size window on it for the front view which suits my cockpit layout.) I intend to change to a new monitor for the front screen in the immediate future - ideally 34 inch, but possibly I will have to settle for 32 inch.

My question is about choice of resolution. Is it workable to add a higher resolution monitor for the front view into the multi monitor setup, for instance a 2560 x 1440, 75 Hz, and will FSX ( and P3Dv4) allow that monitor to be operated at the higher resolution while the 3 AOCs are operating at 1920 x 1080? I'm a little uneasy about mixing resolutions. If anyone has knowledge in this area your advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and happy flying,

Philip

Hi,

My setup includes:

i7-7700 4.2GHz - not overclocked

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080

32GB (4x8) DDR4

Enclosed cockpit with 4 Monitors - 3 for external views, 1 for instruments.

I use 3 AOC 2369 monitors for the side views and the instrument panel - 1920 x 1080 , 60 Hz, and the resolution is fine. I use a large, c.37 inch, pretty old (maybe 10 years) full HD 1920 x 1080, Philips TV for the front screen and the resolution on it is noticeably poorer, but tolerable. (I don't use the full 37 inch screen but a reduced size window on it for the front view which suits my cockpit layout.) I intend to change to a new monitor for the front screen in the immediate future - ideally 34 inch, but possibly I will have to settle for 32 inch.

My question is about choice of resolution. Is it workable to add a higher resolution monitor for the front view into the multi monitor setup, for instance a 2560 x 1440, 75 Hz, and will FSX ( and P3Dv4) allow that monitor to be operated at the higher resolution while the 3 AOCs are operating at 1920 x 1080? I'm a little uneasy about mixing resolutions. If anyone has knowledge in this area your advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and happy flying,

Philip

Hi Philip,

My setup includes 4 monitors. 2 are set at 1920x 1200. One of the others is set at 1280x800. The last is set at 800x600.

So mixing is not a problem.

Cheers Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks Stinger,

So can FSX SE actually feed a monitor with e.g. 2560 x 1440? I don't see an an option in the FSX resolution settings for higher than 1920 x 1080. And can you individualise monitor resolution settings on FSX - i.e set different values for each monitor? Sorry if these are silly questions, but this is new ground for me.

Thanks again,

Philip

Thanks Stinger,

So can FSX SE actually feed a monitor with e.g. 2560 x 1440? I don't see an an option in the FSX resolution settings for higher than 1920 x 1080. And can you individualise monitor resolution settings on FSX - i.e set different values for each monitor? Sorry if these are silly questions, but this is new ground for me.

Thanks again,

Philip

Once you set up this resolution in the Nvidia software you should see the resolution in FSX. I have setup my to main monitors in the Nvidia surround software

To show as one wide monitor and i now see a resolution equating to the two monitors added together in fsx. I do however use the boxed version but i doubt that there is any difference with the steam edition.

Stinger

I have seen someone mention that if you wish to combine them using the surround feature in the nvidia software then they need to be the same res. I cannot confirm that as the two i use for my main view ARE both the same.

Cheers Stinger

Thanks again Stinger,

I 'd say that that is correct - i.e. same resolution for combination in surround. I'm not going to do that. Nevertheless I think I'll go with a 32" or 34" 1920 x 1080. Apart from anything else it won't be as severe on the GPU as the higher resolution. So now it's a matter of choosing a good 1920 x 1080 monitor that will suit FSX and particularly P3D (where I think I will end up). If anyone has any recommendations based on personal experience I'd sure appreciate advice on that. The choice out there is fairly limited in 32" and particularly 34" at 1920 x 1080, so perhaps someone has one that they can recommend.

Kind regards,

Philip

Phillip, You can't go any higher than 1920 x 1080 that I know of. But you can get a monitor that has more DPI and better contrast and that will help for sure, When you go big dots are big because you are so close. But you want to make sure it has G-Sync since you are running a GeForce card.

Archived