Current Hardware for FSX

hfkwong

I was away from FSX for a few years and like to buy a new computer for FSX.

FSX was a product from more then a decade ago. Hardware requirement was low (CPU 1GHz, 256MB RAM, 14GB Hard Drive space).

Refer to X-plane 11 - the hardware requirement is extremely high and expensive (CPU i5 3.5GHz, 16G RAM, Video Card 4GB VRAM).

If I were to buy the hardware for X-plane 11, will the FSX run much faster? Is it worth it?

On the other hand, I do have new Surface Pro i7-7660 2.5GHz with 16G RAM with 1TB SSD for work. There is plenty of hard drive space on this computer. Will this computer run smooth for FSX? I think new Surface Pro does not have strong display card. Will this slow down the frame rate? I do not flight large plane such as 737, 747. I like to fly small plane only.

Thank you.

Well, I would say that the i7-7660u(low voltage - two cores processor) is fairly a minimum to run

FSX. And if you fly GA at low altitude where the graphic demand is high, it will bring this system

on his knees...

On the other hand, taking your example of a 3.5GHz/16GB and 4GB GDU(NVidia, of course..) you

will have a good rig to enjoy FSX.

If you really like flight simulation, it worth to invest in good hardware. :-)

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

I agree, the i7-7600u CPU sounds pretty slow at 2.5 and only 2 cores. Having said that, if I already had it, I'd certainly give it a shot with FSX. Especially since Intel says it will "turbo" up to 4 Ghz. and FSX doesn't use a lot of cores anyway. With the updates in Steam and Acceleration you'll probably use that 2nd core. At least the rig you have will get you a basis to experiment and see if you want to make an investment.

If you want to spend some bucks, I'd heartily recommend the i7770K. It starts at 4.2 Ghz and turbos up to 4.5. With the right motherboard, it also accesses some really nice and fast DDR-4 Ram. I agree with Daniel.T, no matter what you run, I feel you'll really be much happier if you make sure you have a NVIDIA graphics card!

The real key to FSX is always clock speed. The faster the processor speed, the faster the Ram, the happier you'll be with FSX.

As to X-plane I can't help you. I've never tried it. But the K model chip with fast Ram should surely handle everything you throw at it!!

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

the requirements given for fsx back then are the same as now. But, those are the minimum requirements to install the game.

to run it well, you need more.

but, for default fsx a 4.2 ghz Intel cpu is not needed.

Especially not for low and slow flying.

Your surface pro would do that fine. (at least, when looking at the specs. I don't know how comfortable viewing would be, or if it's possible to connect a better monitor to those things if needed, or connecting things like a joystick.)

However these days there are many (expensive) Addons for sale. These require a lot more cpu speed.

Scenery addons with more detail. Aircraft with more detail and advanced gauges.(more detail displayed=more cpu speed needed.)

Especially heavy loading addon planes are the PMDG planes (are mostly jetliners), Aerosoft A320/A321, and, important for you perhaps, A2A planes.

A2A makes many great high detail and accurate simulation prop planes. They do require a good pc.

You could easily start with trying fsx Steam on the surface pro. With default planes and most freeware and some payware addons it should wrk fine.

If you like it, and are considering detailed addons, you can always upgrade to a good PC later.

I think that Steam fsx can be installed on more then one computer. (but I am not sure, maybe check this). If so, you can just install it on the PC later, and leave it on the surface pro as well.

(Thought. Is the surface is owned by your employer? I think you have to be Admin User on your computer to install this.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An Asus Z-170A motherboard works just fine with the i7-7700K and DDR4 RAM. I know because that's what I have! Just update the BIOS to the latest level.

Jorgen

Actually, that's what I'm running as well. ;)

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thank you il88pp.

I will try to install on my Surface Pro and try it out ..... someday.

My Saitek yoke is with my friend and still waiting for him to return the yoke to me before I can try.

The surface pro is mine. I just use for work. I was trying to separate work computer with personal computer.

Archived