Best graphics possible with my machine

jh1144

Hi! I am relatively new simmer and I just got a new computer (specs below):

One of the reasons I got this computer is because I wanted smoother frame rates (still a bit jerky) and smoother cockpit textures (still have pixelated dashboards and controls). I've tinkered with the Nvidia settings a bit, but I'm not getting the results I expected. I see others simmers with smooth, crisp textures in their planes and I desperately want to achieve the highest level of realism possible. Any ideas on how I can maximize the graphics/frame rates for this machine?

HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7, LG 43" inch TV/monitor.

Thank you!:pilot:

HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7

I'm honestly not sure (as I'm traveling), but I just ordered this one: (TCL 43S305 43-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model).

HP Pavilion Premium Gaming Desktop, Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, Bluetooth, HDMI, Windows 7

are you sure you have your display options set at 32 bit?

Yes, I do.

To what end? I was getting an unstuttered 100+ fps at busy KSEA using FS2004 in 2008 with an 2005-2006 era graphics card. Machine had a duo Core procressor in it running @ ~2 gHz.

Right out of the box your machine is way, way more powerful than that system.

Karl

I7-4770k, ASUS Z87pro, 8GB RAM, GTX770

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To what end? I was getting an unstuttered 100+ fps at busy KSEA using FS2004 in 2008 with an 2005-2006 era graphics card. Machine had a duo Core procressor in it running @ ~2 gHz.

Right out of the box your machine is way, way more powerful than that system.

Wow. Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is ...

So is it strictly a resolution issue? Mine is stuttering at 40 fps. :confused:

Monitors often have a much higher resolution the tv's. A 43 inch (large) monitor at 4k will be a lot less grainy then a 1080p tv. More pixels per square inch-->less grainy.

Yeah, with a 43" tv I expect some graininess, but the stuttering frame rates is terrible. When I pan with hatswitch is when the stuttering gets worse/horrible - I figure it should be super smooth. What about my display settings in FS9? I figure, with my system, I should be able to max everything out with little issue...

My new tv will have a 120Hz refresh rate. I think should help, right?

My new tv will have a 120Hz refresh rate. I think should help, right?
Did you happen to ask this on Discord today in regards to DCS?

In FSX we can add a line into the config file that will help use all of the cores, not just one. I don't recall if this works in FS2004. It might.

My group has a few folks that still use FS2004 to some degree. Feel free to come by some evening. The guys I am talking about fly together every Sunday but they're around during the week also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Karl

I7-4770k, ASUS Z87pro, 8GB RAM, GTX770

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It sounds like you could possibly have something running in the background on your system. FS2004 should scream for you. If you have fps/stutter issues only in certain places then the problem may be in FS otherwise make sure nothing is running in the background. If nothing is running in the background you should try different graphics drivers, leave them at default settings and see if it makes a difference.
Mark Daniels

• 3 weeks later...
Your system should have enough push to deliver a smooth 30 fps locked, 1/4 of your TV's Hz rate. Years ago, after experiencing a similar problem such as you're describing and with similar computer specs, I began to associate the micro stutters with my same-day-service HDD digging for more textures, mesh files, etc. on the fly. The flight would always start out smoothly but not long after takeoff, while using higher settings and eye candy a-plenty, the stuttering would occur each and every time the drive was seeking more files. After adding a small SSD and transferring everything flightsim to the SSD, the stuttering ceased.

​.

Hi, sorry for the late reply but what is SSD?

A couple of possibilities. Check that your view distance isn't set too high and/or that terrain settings aren't too high; trying to display full detail textures halfway to the horizon can bring even a powerful system to its knees.

Also check your AV program settings, many default to scan on all access; this can slow a system dramatically since every file read, loaded, copied, moved, etc., is scanned by AV before being "cleared" for the action. And FS shuffles a lot of files as you fly.

A couple of possibilities. Check that your view distance isn't set too high and/or that terrain settings aren't too high; trying to display full detail textures halfway to the horizon can bring even a powerful system to its knees.

Also check your AV program settings, many default to scan on all access; this can slow a system dramatically since every file read, loaded, copied, moved, etc., is scanned by AV before being "cleared" for the action. And FS shuffles a lot of files as you fly.

Thanks! I will tinker with these. :)

Archived