Sim computer stopped booting from SSD drive - FSX on another drive

NeilGsim

Hi guys, first post on this forum. Please let me know if this post should be somewhere else.

I have been running the same rig which I built 4 years ago, using FSX, P3D and XP11 with no problems.

Suddenly, after changing USB power setup in the UEFI, my Z87 motherboard stopped sensing my SSD boot drive. System just will not boot, showing code AE.

Setup is W10 64, Asus Z87, 4770K, 16 Gb mem, GTX 1080, GTX1050, 500Gb SSD (C:), 1Tb SSD FSX/P3D/XP11 operation, 2Tb HD simulator data, and additional 2x 2Tb drives for multimedia storage, scenery, etc.

Steps taken:

1. disconnected all drives and connected boot SSD to each SATA port in turn - MB code AE - no bootable device found

2. tested all drives power supply connections in turn - same results. Suspected bad SSD drive.

3. Connected SSD drive through USB adaptor to another computer - sensed and read, all data appears to be intact. Could not test the booting via USB

4. Connected all other drives back to system - all sensed OK on UEFI, including 1Tb SSD

5. Found a previous cloned copy of C;. Unable to boot via USB. Cannot disassemble it to connect as internal drive, since it is a WD My Passport with integrated USB connection.

6. Purchased a new 500 SSD. Cloned from the My Passport successfully. Resulting new SSD also not sensed by mother board, same as original. New SSD registers Ok on other computer.

7. Found a clone for the laptop (HD, not SSD). Connected to each SATA port progressively. System booted normally at all times (Windows 7 from laptop)

Suspecting possible motherboard failure, but uncertain on how to test/reset it. Willing to replace it, but not before making sure it is not operator error with a faulty setting.

I would appreciate any guidance possible (being without the sim is almost as bad as going without internet!)

Additional questions:

1. Since FSX, XP11 and P3D are installed on a separate drive, if I have to replace the C: drive, what impact can I expect on restoring FSX (box & SE) and P3d? Will I have to start from scratch? What data may be salvaged? I assume that XP11 is not impacted.

2. I am considering either replacing the Z87 with the same model, or taking the opportunity to move to Z370 / 8700K, but obviously that needs some more thought. A bit confused about the different models of Z370, looks like most people are using the Maximus X Hero - any other to consider? Would like to avoid liquid cooling but go to 32Gb mem and targeting overclocking to 5 instead of the 4.3 currently in use.

Any inputs welcome.

Thanks all

Home location near KSMF

Did you try at all to revert your UEFI USB power options back to what they were? Have you tried clearing CMOS? The motherboard manual will tell you what that AE code means. If you don't have the motherboard manual anymore you can download it at the motherboard's website.

I use Win 7 and just use legacy. No UEFI is on. In fact, since I use Truecrypt I can't use UEFI, and I won't use Veracrypt since it hasn't been audited yet. Anyway, you may not even have to use UEFI at all. Granted there's some security benefits.

'AE' code means 'Legacy Boot Event'. It could mean your SSD is not 'on' (power wise). When you see code on monitor hit DELETE (not keypad 'Del') and go change boot device in your Bios.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Sounds like the motherboard is in legacy mode looking for a drive with an MBR boot partition while the SSD was formatted as a GPT drive to boot under the UEFI mode. Probably just need to change the BIOS/UEFI mode back to UEFI under the Boot options.

Another possibility, seeing as a HDD boots fine and the SSDs have no known issues when viewed on another PC, is that the motherboard has disabled AHCI mode (preferred/required mode for most modern SSDs to function correctly) and reverted back to IDE mode for all drives, Check/change the setting in BIOS.

Regards

Brian

Archived