Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows update problem

Default Windows update problem

Hello all
    After having problems getting fs9 up and running on 10, Iam happy to say I have got it going.
    NOW! Another problem .
    Having started the sim up for my usual evening flight I noticed a lot of stuttering ( rather like my old P4 Windows XP days)
    Anyway after fiddling about for some time with display settings etc there was no improvement .
    I decided to reboot my pc ,and that's where Iam at this moment.The problem now is when the pc rebooted it went into the 'Preparing to configure Windows Don't turn off your computer screen' it's been stuck like that for over thirty minutes now.
    The hard drive light is flickering and flashing ,which is supposed to indicate that something is going on ,but I have no idea how long this process is going to continue.Is it usual for Windows update to take this length of time with updates ?
    I have read on the net that it can sometimes take up to three hours in exceptional cases .
    Any thoughts please ?p
    Dammed annoying I can't enjoy my evening flight now.

Why are computers that are supposed to run so quickly ,are cutting edge technology etc are so bloody slow to do anything a lot of the time.

Thanks Andrew

PS Iam wondering if my original stuttering problem was caused by W10 trying to install updates as I was trying to fly, and that is why it booted straight into the Preparing to configure screen when I rebooted?. Anyway Iam still stuck in that screen and it's an hour or so now.
    Last edited by HoratioWondersocks; 01-18-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Hard to tell how long it will take. IMO, Win10 sucks! Absolutely hate it and am thinking about rolling my non-simming rig , (laptop), back to win7. 10 is the biggest piece of crap that MS has ever released.

Default Windows update problem

It will depend on the update being installed. Most do only take a few minutes, however, the larger feature updates will take longer. The latest one is the Fall Creator's Update and was recently released to all Windows 10 users (previously only some users would get the update). If your OS is on a hard drive I could see it taking a while.

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    It will depend on the update being installed. Most do only take a few minutes, however, the larger feature updates will take longer. The latest one is the Fall Creator's Update and was recently released to all Windows 10 users (previously only some users would get the update). If your OS is on a hard drive I could see it taking a while.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Iam happy to say after more than hour and a half .Windows has restarted.
    Hopefully as my copy of Windows 10 was a new one it's updated itself to the present moment.

Thanks Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by HoratioWondersocks View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    Iam happy to say after more than hour and a half .Windows has restarted.
    Hopefully as my copy of Windows 10 was a new one it's updated itself to the present moment.

Thanks Andrew
    There may be a few smaller updates but those should install much faster. If you go into the Update control panel you can control the updates somewhat, including the hours when updates will be installed.

Of late there have been lots of changes to windows because of malware and a problem with coding in Intel and AMD and some ARM processors so they added work arounds as necessary. Was in the news recently. The Band-Aids also cause a minimal delay in code execution.

You should be OK for now.
    KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team

Quote Originally Posted by ronzie View Post
    Of late there have been lots of changes to windows because of malware and a problem with coding in Intel and AMD and some ARM processors so they added work arounds as necessary. Was in the news recently. The Band-Aids also cause a minimal delay in code execution.

You should be OK for now.
    Thanks but things are not ok.
    After an initial wait of an hour and a half or so ,windows restarted ,and I thought the update process had finished .
    But no! I have restarted my pc and Iam again staring at the preparing to configure etcetcetcetc screen.
    Can somebody explain what is going on.
    It seems Iam going round in bloody endless tedious circles.

Quote Originally Posted by HoratioWondersocks View Post
    Thanks but things are not ok.
    After an initial wait of an hour and a half or so ,windows restarted ,and I thought the update process had finished .
    But no! I have restarted my pc and Iam again staring at the preparing to configure etcetcetcetc screen.
    Can somebody explain what is going on.
    It seems Iam going round in bloody endless tedious circles.
    It's very likely that your system was behind on the updates and has a few to process. When it finished, go into the Update control panel and see what it finds. It should also tell you what was recently installed.

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    It's very likely that your system was behind on the updates and has a few to process. When it finished, go into the Update control panel and see what it finds. It should also tell you what was recently installed.
    Hello
    If I do as you say the update control panel shows that an update has failed to install correctly and that windows will try again later.
    My problem is with restarting windows .It seems that if when I finally can get access to my pc , if I select restart it again goes into the almost endless 'configuring windows don't turn of screen.
    On the other hand if I shutdown completely and then restart the pc starts as normal.

Thanks Andrew

If you can see what update has failed google it and see if you can find out how to fix it or remove it if it's not important.
    Mark Daniels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast