Windows update problem

HoratioWondersocks

Hello all

After having problems getting fs9 up and running on 10, Iam happy to say I have got it going.

NOW! Another problem .

Having started the sim up for my usual evening flight I noticed a lot of stuttering ( rather like my old P4 Windows XP days)

Anyway after fiddling about for some time with display settings etc there was no improvement .

I decided to reboot my pc ,and that's where Iam at this moment.The problem now is when the pc rebooted it went into the 'Preparing to configure Windows Don't turn off your computer screen' it's been stuck like that for over thirty minutes now.

The hard drive light is flickering and flashing ,which is supposed to indicate that something is going on ,but I have no idea how long this process is going to continue.Is it usual for Windows update to take this length of time with updates ?

I have read on the net that it can sometimes take up to three hours in exceptional cases .

Any thoughts please ?p

Dammed annoying I can't enjoy my evening flight now.

Why are computers that are supposed to run so quickly ,are cutting edge technology etc are so bloody slow to do anything a lot of the time.

Thanks Andrew

PS Iam wondering if my original stuttering problem was caused by W10 trying to install updates as I was trying to fly, and that is why it booted straight into the Preparing to configure screen when I rebooted?. Anyway Iam still stuck in that screen and it's an hour or so now.

It will depend on the update being installed. Most do only take a few minutes, however, the larger feature updates will take longer. The latest one is the Fall Creator's Update and was recently released to all Windows 10 users (previously only some users would get the update). If your OS is on a hard drive I could see it taking a while.

It will depend on the update being installed. Most do only take a few minutes, however, the larger feature updates will take longer. The latest one is the Fall Creator's Update and was recently released to all Windows 10 users (previously only some users would get the update). If your OS is on a hard drive I could see it taking a while.

Thanks for your reply.

Iam happy to say after more than hour and a half .Windows has restarted.

Hopefully as my copy of Windows 10 was a new one it's updated itself to the present moment.

Thanks Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

Iam happy to say after more than hour and a half .Windows has restarted.

Hopefully as my copy of Windows 10 was a new one it's updated itself to the present moment.

Thanks Andrew

There may be a few smaller updates but those should install much faster. If you go into the Update control panel you can control the updates somewhat, including the hours when updates will be installed.

Of late there have been lots of changes to windows because of malware and a problem with coding in Intel and AMD and some ARM processors so they added work arounds as necessary. Was in the news recently. The Band-Aids also cause a minimal delay in code execution.

You should be OK for now.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Of late there have been lots of changes to windows because of malware and a problem with coding in Intel and AMD and some ARM processors so they added work arounds as necessary. Was in the news recently. The Band-Aids also cause a minimal delay in code execution.

You should be OK for now.

Thanks but things are not ok.

After an initial wait of an hour and a half or so ,windows restarted ,and I thought the update process had finished .

But no! I have restarted my pc and Iam again staring at the preparing to configure etcetcetcetc screen.

Can somebody explain what is going on.

It seems Iam going round in bloody endless tedious circles.

Thanks but things are not ok.

After an initial wait of an hour and a half or so ,windows restarted ,and I thought the update process had finished .

But no! I have restarted my pc and Iam again staring at the preparing to configure etcetcetcetc screen.

Can somebody explain what is going on.

It seems Iam going round in bloody endless tedious circles.

It's very likely that your system was behind on the updates and has a few to process. When it finished, go into the Update control panel and see what it finds. It should also tell you what was recently installed.

It's very likely that your system was behind on the updates and has a few to process. When it finished, go into the Update control panel and see what it finds. It should also tell you what was recently installed.

Hello

If I do as you say the update control panel shows that an update has failed to install correctly and that windows will try again later.

My problem is with restarting windows .It seems that if when I finally can get access to my pc , if I select restart it again goes into the almost endless 'configuring windows don't turn of screen.

On the other hand if I shutdown completely and then restart the pc starts as normal.

Thanks Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Further to what Mark (aka Skywatcher12) has said, when you are in the installed updates view if you click on the failed KB entry it will take you to the actual KB info page on the MS website. There you will get into about the update, possible info as to why it has failed and a chance to download the update manually so that you can install it manually.

Another option is to download the official MS update troubleshooting tool - found HERE - and tell Windows update to ignore the update that is causing the issue.

Simple download and save the file to a temp location, then double click on it to run it. A window will open and it will go through a process of checking for errors and waiting updates. Once this procedure is finished a list of failed and waiting updates will be displayed. ID the troublesome KB entry and place a tick in the box next to it. Press OK and let it work through the process again. you will eventually be presented with a box that tells you what KB's you have processed for non install and info on how to relist them for install at a later date if required.

Regards

Brian

Hi Andrew,

Further to what Mark (aka Skywatcher12) has said, when you are in the installed updates view if you click on the failed KB entry it will take you to the actual KB info page on the MS website. There you will get into about the update, possible info as to why it has failed and a chance to download the update manually so that you can install it manually.

Another option is to download the official MS update troubleshooting tool - found HERE - and tell Windows update to ignore the update that is causing the issue.

Simple download and save the file to a temp location, then double click on it to run it. A window will open and it will go through a process of checking for errors and waiting updates. Once this procedure is finished a list of failed and waiting updates will be displayed. ID the troublesome KB entry and place a tick in the box next to it. Press OK and let it work through the process again. you will eventually be presented with a box that tells you what KB's you have processed for non install and info on how to relist them for install at a later date if required.

Hello Brian

I have just installed the tool you suggested, and I am looking at it now .

There seems to be other good news ,in that for a week or so I have been trying to download direct play ,and netframework 3.1 and 2 (I think that's what there called)

I have tried both the automatic windows ten method and manually downloading but with not much joy. Last night however when starting FS9 the usual message that direct play was required (at this point I just close that message and the sim runs perfectly well)I opted to once more try and download and install direct play ,this time it actually did (and the same thing with netframework as well).

I don't understand quite why these two items refused to download before, but that's probably down to lack of understanding on my part.

Now when I start FS9 I no longer get the direct play needed message which just makes things neat and tidy when starting a sim session.

You may be able to help me with my netframework problem.

This is to do with Editvoicepak.3.1 (Early and free version needed for the ability to speed up the slow speech delivery of the default ATC)

when trying to start it I got the same message box as the direct play needed as I described above ,but this time it was netframework 3.1 required for EVP so having now got that installed I tried again to start EVP and I thought it was going to happen only to get a registry error message about EVP not pointing to a valid installation of Fs9 or that it was missing ,you may need to install flightsimulator again. I am most certainly NOT going to do that in light of all the problems I have had just getting it up and running again with 10 and getting all my other useful utilities going as well just to use EVP.Fortunately my back up of FS9 which I am now running on 10 retained the accelerated speech which I much prefer.It would just be nice to get EVP working as a sort of icing on the cake ,and just in case I should need it future .If you have any idea about possibly getting it going without an Fs9 reinstall I would much appreciate it.

Anyway Brian as ever much appreciate the help you have given me .It seems as though I am getting things slowly sorted out.

Apologies for shameful Grammar and punctuation .

Thanks Andy

Hi Andy,

I would suggest to simply try uninstall EVP, reboot, reinstall EVP and then reboot again before testing. If EVP fails to install or you get the same error message when starting EVP it could be that the registry may be missing a required FS9 key that EVP relies on.

Rather than going through another FS install you could try using the Flight1 Software registry tool - found HERE (4th item in the list) and see it that fixes the issue. Or go without the icing!!!! ;)

Regards

Brian

Hi Andy,

I would suggest to simply try uninstall EVP, reboot, reinstall EVP and then reboot again before testing. If EVP fails to install or you get the same error message when starting EVP it could be that the registry may be missing a required FS9 key that EVP relies on.

Rather than going through another FS install you could try using the Flight1 Software registry tool - found HERE (4th item in the list) and see it that fixes the issue. Or go without the icing!!!! ;)

Hello Brian

I already have registry tool you mention.

I must say that my fs9 installation was copied over directly from a backup on an external USB drive.

I had so many problems going down the normal route of installing a new copy of fs9 and then copying the backup over it ,that in the end I simply copied over my backed up copy (with no installation from the original discs this time ) ran it and it's been working properly now for about five days as are my utility programs joy to key and Fuelloader.

Is it possible that not having first installed fs9 from original discs, that Evp cannot find the registry entry it seems?

Also if I use the registry tool will I fix the Evp problem ,but then again find fs9 will no longer save or load flights.?(one of the problems I was having in my earlier first attempts to get 9 running on 10.)

As it stands Fs9 is running correctly ,saving and loading flights and plans from FsNavigator and Iam sore tempted to leave it alone.(to do without the icing)

as I can now fly ,enjoy my beer ,an inflight movie whilst at cruising altitude (courtesy of BBC iPlayer) and hopefully land correctly (dependant upon amount of quaffed ale).

I no longer want to have to try and be a cross between Sherlock Holmes ,a trainee computer technician with sore eyes ,back and other body parts trying to sort out all these installation problems (although I suppose it may help me in the future)

Anyway as I said before your help much appreciated.

Thanks Andrew

Hi Andy,

Can't give any guarantee that using the tool will not cause issues with the apps that you have got working but, yes, by simply copying FS9 over it is likely that there are missing registry keys that are used by other programs to find the install.

However, that said, I suspect that the reason why the other tools work is because they don't need such references. Some apps need only point to a valid fs9.exe file to work.

WRT to using the reset tool you could either make a restore point or manually backup the current Registry before running it, giving you a fall back if the apps you have got working don't no longer work. See THIS page for details on how to do it.

You can now run the registry tool and then check that the other apps still work. If they do you can then install EVP and see if it works.

If the installed apps don't work then you can simply revert back to the original restore point or backup registry file.

Regards

Brian

Hi Andy,

Can't give any guarantee that using the tool will not cause issues with the apps that you have got working but, yes, by simply copying FS9 over it is likely that there are missing registry keys that are used by other programs to find the install.

However, that said, I suspect that the reason why the other tools work is because they don't need such references. Some apps need only point to a valid fs9.exe file to work.

WRT to using the reset tool you could either make a restore point or manually backup the current Registry before running it, giving you a fall back if the apps you have got working don't no longer work. See THIS page for details on how to do it.

You can now run the registry tool and then check that the other apps still work. If they do you can then install EVP and see if it works.

If the installed apps don't work then you can simply revert back to the original restore point or backup registry file.

Hello Brian

I came to the same conclusion myself concerning my apps .

At the moment I will leave well alone .I can use my sim and enjoy my flights .

PS I wasn't so concerned about my two apps functioning,more about losing the Sims ability to choose and save flights .

PS some people seem to think that setting up a partition on your hard drive and using that exclusively for the location of fs9 is a good idea.

I don't know how to do that at the moment,but maybe something for the future .

Thanks Andrew

Hi Andy,

Certainly placing the sim on either a partition or better still, a second drive is a good ideal. I have two rigs with FSX installed - one has FSX in a partition and the other has it on a separate drive. It is my intention to someday move the install on the partition to its own drive.

The thing to remember is that it is best to set up the drives and/or partitions so that all create automatic restore points - by default Win only sets automatic restore point creation rules for the system drive (i.e. the c:\ drive). you can do this using the inbuilt MS tools but I actually use a freeware tool to do so - see HERE - I also use the tool to re-size the storage space allocated to restore points, to schedule a set restore point time and to create manual restore points on the fly.

Setting new partitions is relatively easy and there are plenty of how to guide out there....

Happy Flyin and Beer Drinkin' ...........;)

Regards

Brian

W10 will occasionally get stuck during an update (numerous threads can be found regarding this) and no matter how long you wait it will not progress. While setting up a laptop for someone I once waited three hours for "configuring" an update; I finally shut down the system. When restarted later windows loaded then popped up a message that it needed to continue an update ...in fifteen minutes it was done. (Of course it might have finished in fifteen minutes anyway, but those threads say otherwise - more than an hour or so is suspect - so you may want to research them.)

Seems like a lot of issues by not letting the PC complete it's updates

So, I recieved my new laptop 2 weeks ago checked the Windows 10 version & it needed updates.

I told it to update & it did a few then told me there was an update that would not install & displayed the kb405***** number of the update that would not install.

I googled that particulat update & downloaded it from Microsoft, & ran it.

I checked for updated again, & then a few were downloaded & ran, including a large one that took a loog time to instal.

So, do not switch off the PC when updates are happening, it can & will take a loog time when updating a new PC. Be patient!!

Also, no need to download DirectPlay..

If you want to play DirectPlay on your new laptop it's a good idea to enable this.

1. Press [windows key]+[x] then press [p] to open the control panel.

2. find/ open "Programs and Features" then press the "Turn windows features on or off"... it's on the left hand side.

3. Put a tick in the direct play... look in the L's for legacy, then restart your system.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived