Getting it right from the start - new install FSX SE

marcusford

Hi folks

Im just awaiting arrival of a PC which I am hoping to install FSX steam onto. I have a copy of X-Plane 10 but may just stick with what I know namely FSX (unless I can me persuaded otherwise - i know both programmes have good/bad points).

In addition I will probably be buying Orbx Global base, possibly Orbx Scotland scenery (where I live) . Aircraft wise, PMDG 737 NGX, and weather programme maybe one of the Rex products (I currently own Rex Essential HD - again not sure if this will work, Rex seem to be offering discounts to previous Rex owners on their new weather programme.

1.Based on my PC spec below can someone please advise me the best location to install, Steam, FSX SE, Orbx bits. I seem to be reading too many different ideas on install locations etc which is getting me a little confused!

2.I have an old version of PMDG 747 which I assume probably wont work with Steam/windows 10?

Are there any other essential addons, tweaks changes I should be putting on at this stage, Im just wanting to get it right from the start.

Here is the spec of my PC, which is a little budget but hope will do the job

Processor

• Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake Processor

• 9MB L3 Cache

Motherboard

• Gigabyte Z370-HD3 Motherboard

Memory

• 8GB DDR4 2400MHz

• Configuration 2 x 4GB

• Dual Channel Support on 2 DIMMs

• 4 x DIMM Slot

Solid State Drive

• 250GB SK Hynix SL308 Solid State Drive

Hard Drive

• Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Optical Drive

• 24x DVD-RW Drive

Software

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey that looks like a good rig. A 3.6 processor isn't at all impressive, but if you turbo it up to 4.3, you've got a pretty nice setup! I also like your RAM.

Having said that, I seriously recommend you consider adding a FSX dedicated Solid State Hard Drive. Access time is all the world with FSX! Get a FSX SSD now and be thankful you did! ;)

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Don't put the cart before the horse. Make sure you have the computer set up correctly with the added programs that are needed for correct computer management. (Defragment, security, etc.) Installing the programs correctly saves a lot of problems in the long run. Good Luck.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

That's really helpful, thanks for your response. So will the SSD be the best location to install FSX steam? I assume my operating system will also be on the SSD. Or should I install it on my HD?

I'll have a look at Active Sky today, but I am veering towards sticking with Rex Essentials for now as you suggest.

The only advantage to putting FSX on the SSD is decreased initial load times. Once the sim is loaded there is no noticeable performance gain vs the HDD. The choice of SSD vs HDD is often one of available space. Depending on future FSX add-ons and whatever else the computer will be used for, the 250GB SSD could soon be too small..........Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived