Now i cant save flights. Win 10 problem

HoratioWondersocks

Hi,

Have FS2004 running on W10 perfectly and the fights are saving OK.

Can you open any of your previously saved flights, or default flights? Do not know what the cold and dark scenario is, but can you save your own flight with default location? The scenario can be acting up! Did you save your Flight Simulator Files from the Documents folder prior to going to W10. If yes, can you copy some saved fights from there and open these?

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi,

Have FS2004 running on W10 perfectly and the fights are saving OK.

Can you open any of your previously saved flights, or default flights? Do not know what the cold and dark scenario is, but can you save your own flight with default location? The scenario can be acting up! Did you save your Flight Simulator Files from the Documents folder prior to going to W10. If yes, can you copy some saved fights from there and open these?

Peter

Thanks for the reply

I have struggling over three days now trying to get Fs9 running on a new pc with w10.

As it stands now I have two installations on my new PC .

Frustratingly when I run one installation( C:FLGHTSIMULATOR 9) I can save flights with no problems, but I cant get two really useful utilities Fuelloader and Joy to key to work.

with the other installation (C:FS9) Those two utilities work, but I can't save flights.

PS Cold and dark is just a flight I NORMALLY create so the plane loads with nothing operating ie engines avionics etc I have to perform the startup myself.

What adds to the intense frustration is that Fs9 works perfectly on the flight side with both installations but if someone can help me get the (C:FS9)installation running AND saving flights that's what I would like.

I am so close and its just so annoying.

cheers Andy

PS both installations are backed up versions.

One was installed over a brand new installation of Fs9 from original discs.

The other was simply copied over from from an external drive where I used to back it up from from time to time. This was copied as is and no installation of the original FS9 on this occasion

Both work but with the above mentioned problems.

Thanks for the reply

I have struggling over three days now trying to get Fs9 running on a new pc with w10.

As it stands now I have two installations on my new PC .

Frustratingly when I run one installation( C:FLGHTSIMULATOR 9) I can save flights with no problems, but I cant get two really useful utilities Fuelloader and Joy to key to work.

with the other installation (C:FS9) Those two utilities work, but I can't save flights.

PS Cold and dark is just a flight I NORMALLY create so the plane loads with nothing operating ie engines avionics etc I have to perform the startup myself.

What adds to the intense frustration is that Fs9 works perfectly on the flight side with both installations but if someone can help me get the (C:FS9)installation running AND saving flights that's what I would like.

I am so close and its just so annoying.

cheers Andy

PS both installations are backed up versions.

One was installed over a brand new installation of Fs9 from original discs.

The other was simply copied over from from an external drive where I used to back it up from from time to time. This was copied as is and no installation of the original FS9 on this occasion

Both work but with the above mentioned problems.

PS As an extra thought could the fact that I have two installations both using the C: location be causing a clash? IE both trying to use the documents flight simulator files folder etc

You didn't mention if it would load a flight. If so, save the flight from the other copy, and load it from this one.

Hello Tom

Both installations can load flights.

One installation will load and save flights ,no problem with that.

But! It won't run my favoured utilities ie fuel loader and joy to key .

Also the atc speak has reverted to a mixture of fast and slow. ( Was all fast courtesy of editvoicepak) originally.

The other version I have runs all those utilities and retains the fast atc dialogue but won't save flights or save flightplans created with FsNavigator.

Anyway Iam getting knackered trying all this ,but will persist.

I may try again from scratch.

Thanks Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I think the problem maybe related to having two installs that might be sharing the same default folders/data that is stored outside of the sim main folder. The fact that they are installed on the same drive is not the issue as for all intents and purposes they are individual BUT both installs would have written data into the same default areas mentioned below.

By default, a number of files (like the logbook, saved flight plans etc) are stored outside of the sim in a number of locations......

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\

C:\Documents\

You may find that each of these areas may have TWO entries but I suspect that there is a conflict between them somewhere.

EDIT

Also WRT the utilities that aren't working - if the user license allows you may have to install two instances of them and point one install towards the first sim install and then the second to the sim install - will this work???? that will depend on what source data and its location the utilities need to be pointed to to obtain that info

EDIT END

Regards

Brian

Hi Andrew,

I think the problem maybe related to having two installs that might be sharing the same default folders/data that is stored outside of the sim main folder. The fact that they are installed on the same drive is not the issue as for all intents and purposes they are individual BUT both installs would have written data into the same default areas mentioned below.

By default, a number of files (like the logbook, saved flight plans etc) are stored outside of the sim in a number of locations......

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\

C:\Documents\

You may find that each of these areas may have TWO entries but I suspect that there is a conflict between them somewhere.

EDIT

Also WRT the utilities that aren't working - if the user license allows you may have to install two instances of them and point one install towards the first sim install and then the second to the sim install - will this work???? that will depend on what source data and its location the utilities need to be pointed to to obtain that info

EDIT END

Thanks Brian

I had my suspicions the two might be clashing.

Funnily enough when I started the backed up copy that wouldn't save flights (which was my preferred choice of the two installtions apart from the not saving flights problem ) it now decided it WOULD save flights .

Maybe because I started it first after a night's rest It got to use the folders you mentioned also first?

So I think I may be up and running .I will probably remove the other installation (if that's the right thing to do in your opinion ) to avoid further clashes.

The version I now have also retains the sped up atc dialogue (courtesy of editvoicepak)

It's appears now to be all running correctly (8ncuding the two utilities I mentioned)

The only thing now ,is the niggle of the sim asking for direct play each time I start it up ,but I simply ignore that and close that message window and the sim runs with no problems.

Thanks as always for your help .

I hope? Things are now sorted.

Thanks Andrew

Hi Andrew,

As to whether you delete one of the installs is entirely up to you based on your requirement for two installs. Although I have never seen the need for two physical installs of the sim (both FS9 and my current mainstay of FSX) on the same PC, I have used different setups within a single install by having multiple copies of the fs9.cfg and FSX.cfg file.

For example, I have loads of the FS9 military AI scenery and models installed into FSX (into specific theme based SimObject and Scenery folders), which, when all activated, results in a long load time. So I have a number of different configs saved in individually named FSX.cfg files (for example FSX_AI_Full.cfg, FSX_AI_Light.cfg, FSX_AI_FastJets.cfg etc) that allow me to vary what is loaded. I simply replace the current 'live' .cfg file by making a copying the chosen config file and then renaming it FSX.cfg overwriting the current 'live'. Of course, I also have a saved copy of the original .cfg as created when the sim was first installed. Likewise, I have a similar selection of saved scenery.cfg files that allow me to vary what scenery gets loaded at startup.

Regards

Brian

Archived