Copying Prepar3d folder to External SSD?

VicoLee

You will have to change the registry setting to point to that folder. Then it will be incredibly slow. If you have storage issues right now, I'd buy a bigger drive and clone to it. I use AOMEI Backupper.

My objective is to have the speed as if the OS and Prepar3d where installed on my SSD.

The uninstall the sim and all the addons and reinstall to the new location on the SSD. You MUST do this in the correct way so see the appropriate post over at L-M's specific forum.

If you do it any other way you will stuff it up almost certainly unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Your title says 'external ssd'. If this is the case, it will be dead slow. It will just not work.

You can't say that without knowing what SSD it is, and how it's hooked into the rest of the system. Many modern SATA3 external SSD's are faster than older Hard Drives. Your making assumptions that a re simply NOT viable based on the information provided...

I'm sure if our OP wanted us to comment on his choice of an external SSD he would have asked about that, and not the practical aspects of moving P3D over.

However, like you I do hope it's been thought about carefully - it would be a PITA to go to all the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling the sim and all allied or associated addons only to find out it's slower...

Your title says 'external ssd'. If this is the case, it will be dead slow. It will just not work.

Actually, it will work just fine. I have P3Dv3 installed on a 500GB EVO SSD which is mounted in a USB3 docking station. Other than load times being increased somewhat due to the USB3 speed limitations it all works quite well..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived