Thread: Copying Prepar3d folder to External SSD?

1. Talking Copying Prepar3d folder to External SSD?

Hey,
    If I copy the Lockheed Martin folder to my SSD,
    will it work instead of installing my whole OS on it than Prepar3d?

Thanks

Absolutely not.

LM (and Windows) requires the sim installed, not copied or cloned.

Uninstall and reinstall is the only option.

3. Default

My objective is to have the speed as if the OS and Prepar3d where installed on my SSD.

You will have to change the registry setting to point to that folder. Then it will be incredibly slow. If you have storage issues right now, I'd buy a bigger drive and clone to it. I use AOMEI Backupper.

My forum project
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    Why Windows 10 suxx
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by VicoLee View Post
    My objective is to have the speed as if the OS and Prepar3d where installed on my SSD.
    The uninstall the sim and all the addons and reinstall to the new location on the SSD. You MUST do this in the correct way so see the appropriate post over at L-M's specific forum.

If you do it any other way you will stuff it up almost certainly unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Your title says 'external ssd'. If this is the case, it will be dead slow. It will just not work.

Quote Originally Posted by willy647 View Post
    Your title says 'external ssd'. If this is the case, it will be dead slow. It will just not work.
    You can't say that without knowing what SSD it is, and how it's hooked into the rest of the system. Many modern SATA3 external SSD's are faster than older Hard Drives. Your making assumptions that a re simply NOT viable based on the information provided...

I'm sure if our OP wanted us to comment on his choice of an external SSD he would have asked about that, and not the practical aspects of moving P3D over.

However, like you I do hope it's been thought about carefully - it would be a PITA to go to all the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling the sim and all allied or associated addons only to find out it's slower...

Quote Originally Posted by willy647 View Post
    Actually, it will work just fine. I have P3Dv3 installed on a 500GB EVO SSD which is mounted in a USB3 docking station. Other than load times being increased somewhat due to the USB3 speed limitations it all works quite well..........Doug
    Intel 4790K @ 4.7Ghz, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz RAM, nVidia GTX 970 GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.