Windows 10 direct play problem

HoratioWondersocks

by HoratioWondersocks » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Hello All

I am installing fs9 into a second pc in as many weeks.

the first install went fine and fs9 ran .

With this new pc the sim has installed ,but every time I run it, an error message stating that direct play needs to be installed. I opt to download and run direct play and then I am prompted to re start my pc ,however direct play remains uninstalled and the same error message repeats itself.

I have also tried reinstalling legacy programs ,but this also doesn't work.

I did simply close the error message and I gave fs9 a go and it seemed to run ok .

any help please its driving me a bit nuts.

thanks Andy

In Win10 the only way to add the obsolete directx component "direct play" is by using the "legacy components" inside the "windows features" inside "programs and features" inside "control panel"

to start in the search windows area next to the start button type "control panel" (without the quotes)

how to add direct play in win 10.JPG

Try going to Control Panel > Programs. Under the Programs and Features listing select the Turn Windows Features On or Off option. A new window will open and populate with a number of options. Find the Legacy Components and check to see if there is an entry for DirectPlay.

If there is an entry for DirectPlay ensure that the box is ticked (or if ticked - untick and then re-tick) and click OK. You should get a dialogue box stating that the feature is being installed, is installed, or an error message with details of the problem. If the app installs close the window and reboot the PC. Test

If no entry or an error message is displayed download/install either the DirectX Redistribution pack OR the DX9 End-User Runtime pack from the MS website. Download to a temp location and then run as admin - do not run direct from the download option as it may fail to install correctly due to permissions. Once installed reboot and then carryout the above again to confirm DirectPlay is activated and then test

Regards

Brian

Thanks to you both for helping out.

I have already tried the legacy programs route ,but that doesn't work.

I tick both the boxes as required but when I exit open and recheck the legacy programs options have unticked themselves.

As an aside ,when I open fs9 and get the error message this program needs direct play ,I find it I simply ignore the message and close it fs9 runs anyway.Its just irritating having this each time I start up fs9

Thanks Andrew

Try going to Control Panel > Programs. Under the Programs and Features listing select the Turn Windows Features On or Off option. A new window will open and populate with a number of options. Find the Legacy Components and check to see if there is an entry for DirectPlay.

If there is an entry for DirectPlay ensure that the box is ticked (or if ticked - untick and then re-tick) and click OK. You should get a dialogue box stating that the feature is being installed, is installed, or an error message with details of the problem. If the app installs close the window and reboot the PC. Test

If no entry or an error message is displayed download/install either the DirectX Redistribution pack OR the DX9 End-User Runtime pack from the MS website. Download to a temp location and then run as admin - do not run direct from the download option as it may fail to install correctly due to permissions. Once installed reboot and then carryout the above again to confirm DirectPlay is activated and then test

Hello Brian

Thanks for your continued help with my ongoing problems.

If I do as you say is there any chance installing either of these items could mess up (unintentionally of course).my pc ?

As an aside I have now got fs9 running on 10 with one little niggle and that concerns the direct play issue ,when I start fs9 a message comes up saying that direct play is required (hence my earlier query) however if I just close message and ignore it fs9 runs perfectly well anyway.

I get the feeling the direct play component is needed by the flight instructor (lessons) part of fs9 which I don't use anyway ,perhaps that's why the main program runs without issues.

As always thanks for your knowledgeable and useful replies.

Thanks Andrew

Hi Andrew,

No, neither of the DX packs should cause an issue.

The ReDist pack covers all later versions of DX (9, 10, 11 and 12) and will only install missing files or replace corrupted/older versions of files.

The DX9 runtime pack will do the same but only for DX9.

I recommended them for the following reason......

By default, a vanilla install of the Win 10 only installs DX10 and later. It appears also to be fairly common for Win 7/8 to Win 10 upgrades to also have issues as some of the DX9 files get corrupted or deleted. The Dx9 version that you probably have installed is the one that comes with FS9, which is woefully out of date and most of the files are known to be incompatible with Win 10.

Officially, DX versions are supposedly backward compatible but, like a number of other 'libraries' that are required by a modern PC (such as .NET and Visual C++ packages) you can have multiple versions of DX installed and they will live happily alongside each other.

Regards

Brian

Archived