Thread: Interest in RTW2018

1. Exclamation Interest in RTW2018

To all racers,

Hope everyone had a great holiday and a happy new year!!!!

With about 36ish days to the next RTW race, I'm trying to gauge interest in the race. Of the 3 teams that usually participate, I'm not sure if flightsim.com will be able to field a team this year so that probably leaves 2 teams. Interest in this event has been slowly dwindling each year and if something isn't done to re-invigorate this event, I fear it may be over.

Even we in the Executive team aren't sure if this year a race will proceed or not, hence I'm trying to see if there is want of it. If enough are interested, we can see what we can do to pull together an event this year.

If you wish to add ideas on how to reinvigorate this event, you can either drop them here or a post in the official race forums at http://www.fsrtwrace.com

I have no clue what to do to re-invigorate the race here at Flightsim.

To the best of my knowledge, there are currently 3 total pilots available for Flightsim. Poncho_Villa, my lovely wife, who may be able to fly in a limited fashion, and myself. Not a huge team.
    Given my medical situation, I can't fly 50% of the legs of the Race for this team. I simply am incapable.

Having said that, and I don't want to seem the traitor, but if Flightsim isn't going to field a workable team, I've been invited to join the Sim Out House team, and am very strongly considering it.

So, there's the situation here at Flightsim, as I understand it. I sincerely hope I am mistaken, buuuut...
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

3. Default

Hi Pat, If you don't believe you have enough people to field a team, will your 2 or 3 people fly for one of the other two teams?

Hey Eamonn, good to hear from you, as always
    I can't speak for Poncho_Villa. In fact, I haven't seen him in quite a while. But I am planning on, have been invited to, and have run a few practice legs with, the Sim Out House team. If they'll permit, yes, I will make the Race with them.
    I hate appearing to change alliegences, but as I mentioned, 2 people just isn't a team. We both deeply appreciate the allowances the Committee made last year, trying to accommodate us, we truly do, but I am simply no longer the young man I once were.

So, short answer, yes, I am. I believe I can speak for my lovely wife in this as well.

Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Hello all,

There's a Chinese curse that says "May you live in interesting times." I am just coming out the other side of some "interesting times" and should now be able to give the Race the attention it deserves. I don't know which ring I'll throw my hat into, but it will land somewhere. I'm going to think it over for the next couple of days before I make my decision, but I plan on racing.
    Pat's right. Two people just isn't a team, and I myself am not full of two items, vinegar being the second one (If you know the saying, you know what the first one is!). If I was, I would probably be crazy enough to try it by myself, but those days have passed. It would be nice to get ten other people together, but right now I don't see that happening.
    Like I said, an answer will be forthcoming, I just don't know right now what that answer will be.

Fair skies and following winds,
    "Ponch"
    Fair skies and following winds,
    -Frank-
    PROUD FS RTWR Pilot since 2015!
    Kick the tires and light the fires! We's goin' FLYIN'!

Wow, I remember in years past how I couldn't wait for the annual RTW fever to overtake me like a bad case of the flu. Right now I literally can not even remember the last time I even opened my flight sims, been months if not a year or maybe more. I know it's been weeks since I even booted up my flight simming computer. Had some absolutely great times, and some no so great, flying with Team FlightSim, and I sincerely wish I had the enthusiasm I once had for this great event. All of the teams have been suffering from diminshing interest the last few years, FlightSim especially. I have a few ideas as to why, but I'll keep those to myself.

Frank, I'm sorry you had to live through some interesting times, I hope they are behind you now and for good. Pat, you and your wife were a wonderful addition to the team when we needed it the most, just wish there were more folks like you around. I'm sure that which ever team the two of you decide to join will be very glad to have you.

I think for whatever reason the days of large groups of sim pilots getting together for such a monumental event such as the RTWR is coming to an end, and I honestly don't see those days returning any time soon. The comaradarie of forum based teams was a wonderful thing, as was the rivalry that created the RTW in the first place. I suggested leaving that system and moving to two teams randomly picked from a pool of available pilots, call them all star teams because that's kind of what they are. Every single pilot that's flown this race in the past is an all star in my book, who else would forgo sleep, regular meals and spending time with loved ones for days if not weeks every February. I wish I had the time, energy and enthusiasm to take part once again, but sadly I don't.

I wish everyone the best and maybe I'll be around somewhere down the line.

Wombat

I also flew for the race for several years, but technology has changed, and many (most) of the pilots we once had have moved on. The race was lots of fun, but here at least, I think its time has passed.

Hi all,

We have listened to your views and would like to indicate our sympathy with your expressed sentiments. For 2018 it appears that the much-honored Team FlightSim does not have enough veteran pilots to insure a full team effort. We understand. We hope that Team FlightSim will be interested if the Race continues in future years.

Best,
    Mike MacKuen
    (For the Executive Committee)