Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help adding simple autopilot to vintage aircraft

Ok so after some more troubleshooting I figured out that the issue lies with the Airspeed Courier's .air file...

What I did was copy an air file from another aircraft where I've installed this Autopilot and got it working to the courier's folder, assigned a fltsim entry to it and started a flight with it.

Surprise, surprise! The autopilot now works! But obviously I can't make this a solution,since the flight controls and the aircraft's CG felt very wrong (from it being assigned an air file not designed for this model).

So now I ask if anyone can help me figure out what to do or how to edit the air file to fix this, probably help em identify the problem as well, since I have 0 experience dealing with air files :/

Leonardo

Get the utility "aired" or "Airfile Manager" and look at both .air files' sections pertaining to AP functions (I'm more familiar with aired, where with two instances running it is easy to copy/paste entire sections from one file to another).

aired - http://www.msfsgateway.com/utility.html
    Last edited by jgf; 01-13-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Hey jgf,

I already tried that, as it was suggested in another forum. Still the same result :/

In the same post in http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...rcraft.441887/ I've come to the conclusion that even if the air file had 'bad' parameters that would affect the AP in this manner, in FS9 most of the air file parameters are overridden in the aircraft.cfg anyways.

The thing that baffles me is that if I copy an [autopilot] section from another aircraft.cfg that has a working AP, like the DC-3 for instance, or the Ford Trimotor (mine is updated with a panel that came with this AP gauge I'm trying to use in the Courier) nothing changes; but if I replace the .air file with another from an airplane that has the same AP working, the flying characteristics of the Courier will obviously be or feel 'wrong' but the AP works no problem! It just makes no sense whatsoever! 0.o

Leonardo

In general the .cfg file overrides the .air file, but there are some parameters in the .air file that still either take precedence or must be compatible (for example changing engine type, turbo to piston, requires major changes to both files to work properly). The fact that a different .air file works with the existing .cfg file indicates there is some crucial difference there.

Hey jgf,

That's what thought too, but if you had the opportunity to look at that thread I linked, a user there has tested himself, using the same parameters as me on the aircraft.cfg and he encounters no problem :/
    And he swears that there could be no reason for the air file to be causing this.

Leonardo

FIXED!

The solution was suggested by a member on this forum: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr....441887/page-2

Thanks to all who've answered and tried to help in this thread!

Leonardo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12