X-Plane 11 downloadable planes

vul75002

I am very new to X-Plane. I have the X-Plane 11 demo and I am trying to understand the controls and keyboard functions. I have been a MS Flight Sim user for over 20 years and I know that program quite well. This sim is so very different.

I haven't decided to actually purchase this sim because my big concern is how much available free planes, scenery and fields are available for downloading? And from what sights are these available? I don't plan on buying downloadable anything and if this is not an option then this sim is not for me.

Another concern is; are planes, scenery and fields that are labeled for X-Plane 8, 9, 10, etc., can those be used on X-Plane 11.xx without issues?

Thanks for your help.

RB

Just check out X-Plane.org the XP community is pretty active with creating freeware aircraft and scenery that it some cases is much better than payware versions.

As far as compatibility between the versions, yes and no. A lot of XP10 aircraft and scenery is compatible, you just have to try it and see. If its payware then it will be labeled as compatible with XP11 if it is.

• Founder

You should start by looking at the file library right here at FlightSim.Com. We currently have over 8000 X-Plane compatible files, which is more than enough to keep you busy :-) While it certainly does not compare with what's available for FSX, X-Plane is still well supported. If you watch our news and reviews you will also see plenty of commercial X-Plane products being released on a regular basis.

As for compatibility, in general you can use add-ons from one version back from the version you are running; i.e., XP10 add-ons will work with XP11. It's often possible to get older add-ons to work as well; we even have a tutorial on the subject:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?16380-Tutorial-Upgrading-Aircraft-in-X-Plane

Thanks to all for the replies. How far back in versions can I import X-Plane files into the new version 11?

I am still questioning what is available for free since I have been looking around on this forum for aircraft and what I have downloaded has been less than stellar as far as quality and details. Some do not have 2D and 3D cockpits and that makes viewing real frustrating. Some planes are labeled as XP8 or 9 or 10 but not sure if they will install correctly and run well on XP11.

I have a lot to learn but using the demo is extremely frustrating since it stops functioning after several minutes so I can't get a good feel for the product. I still use MS Flight Sim X and I enjoy it even though it is a dated product. X-Plane 11 is supposed to be a real serious flight sim in terms of quality graphics and flight characteristics but I can't get convinced using the demo. Purchasing it would be the solution but I am not ready to bite the bullet and buy X-Plane 11 at this time.

Thanks to all for the replies. How far back in versions can I import X-Plane files into the new version 11?

I am still questioning what is available for free since I have been looking around on this forum for aircraft and what I have downloaded has been less than stellar as far as quality and details. Some do not have 2D and 3D cockpits and that makes viewing real frustrating. Some planes are labeled as XP8 or 9 or 10 but not sure if they will install correctly and run well on XP11.

I have a lot to learn but using the demo is extremely frustrating since it stops functioning after several minutes so I can't get a good feel for the product. I still use MS Flight Sim X and I enjoy it even though it is a dated product. X-Plane 11 is supposed to be a real serious flight sim in terms of quality graphics and flight characteristics but I can't get convinced using the demo. Purchasing it would be the solution but I am not ready to bite the bullet and buy X-Plane 11 at this time.

There are some exceptional models available in the file library, with all incorporating a 2D panel (Alt - W). Many are also available with a virtual cockpit.

Here are a few examples to start with (search the file names in the file library):

piper_pa-18_super_cub.zip

cessna_170b_xp10.zip

glasair_deluxe_package_xp1102.zip

Ercoupe-ERCO-v-17-175_33.zip

lockheed_l-1049g_super_constellation_xp1105.zip

Regarding compatibility...you're usually safe to go back one version (11 to 10, 10 to 9 etc), but don't expect 100% compatibility all of the time.

X-Plane is a serious sim, but a highly enjoyable one at that. Like most things with a learning curve however, a degree of patience is required. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll end up having a great deal of fun!

Hi all,

I made the decision to purchase X-Plane 11. I installed it and I find lots of frustrating things the software offers. One thing is the ATC voices; I don't know which voice is the pilot and which is the tower. The ATC window with the text uses colors that a normal human can't see clearly. The voices sound soooo robotic. The voices in MS Flight Sim X are superior to this product and you can actually change the voices.

I downloaded assorted planes and many of them are missing either the 2D screen or the 3D screen. Moving within them is a nightmare too. Very slow and the instrument panels on many planes are difficult to get to and adjust.

Anyway, I am just venting at this time but there are plenty of unpleasant things wrong with X-Plane 11 that I have discovered that make it very difficult for me to enjoy. Time might resolve some of my frustrations but for now, I am a bit disappointed, especially with the available freeware planes.

Oh, another thing...I cannot find certain freeware model planes for X-Plane 11 that are available for either 9 or 10 but not 11. An example is the King Air. It is missing two critical instruments. Also cannot locate a modern version of the Learjet for X-plane 11. Maybe someone here can direct me to some small freeware business jets. Thanks.

Archived