Question on upgrading CPU and motherboard

Hello, I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my current CPU and Motherboard for awhile now.

I normally play p3dV4, dayz, and cities skylines. I rotate games play one for a few weeks and forget about the others. I do spend more time on p3d then anything else.

My current setup minus the GPU is from around JAN/FEB of 2013.

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LE plus

CPU - Intel i5 3570K (ivy Bridge) overclocked to 4.2GHz

16GB DDR3 ram can't remember the speed 3000 or 3200 I think

Custom liquid cooling loop

Win 7 home 64 bit

The GPU I upgraded about a year and a half ago. It's a Asus NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB.

I am looking at these processors/ trying to narrow down which to pick. I don't want to spend more and overkill if I can spend a little less

The 3 CPU's I am considering

intel i7 8700K (8thgen)

Intel 7th Gen Core i7-7700K Processor

Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8600K Processor

I have not narrowed down a motherboard yet but I am looking at these two

Asus Intel Z370 ATX Gaming Motherboard

ASUS Strix H270F

I know I'll have to get 16GB's of DDR4 ram since mine is DDR3.

Currently in p3dv4 I get 10-25FPS using PMDG aircraft, fs dreamteam and other scenery, along with active sky.

I will be planning on overclocking the new CPU.

What are your recommendations on what I have picked so far, or other option's that I have not listed? Going this route do you think I will gain much more performance then what I currently have in P3D?

Thanks for all of the help.

P3D is largely a single threaded game, and thus if you want to make a worthwhile upgrade for P3D, you'd want the fastest single threaded CPU. And according to this website the 8700K is what you'd want.

As to the motherboard, I'd just read reviews from Newegg and Amazon. You might want to use Fakespot.com for the Amazon link.

Keep in mind that with that CPU you will have to use Windows 10.

I'm not entirely sure you will get much of a frame bump with a new CPU though.

I have been thinking about upgrading for six months. During that time, I have done a lot of reading. From what I have read, it seems that the i7-7700K is your best bang for the buck. Has CRJ has stated, OD3 is still primarily a single thread program. Other threads will help with terrain and extra addon programs, but the number 0 CPU thread will be the primary control of the FPS. The faster you can get this thread to run, the more you can push the settings.

For the money, the i7 7700 gives you the most speed for the fewest dollars.

John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

No I have not. I have always considered the i3 and i5 processors to be crippled versions of the i7. You will mostly see them in cheaper computers that do not have to deal with programs that will push them to their limits. Since I did not read the article, I can't comment on it. I do have a question, however. Did the article state the i3-8350K out does the i7-7700K in single core flight simulation programs? I would think that unless you plan on making this a general use computer with occasional flight sim use, more research might be warranted.

The statement I made was not based on my personal feelings. It was based on what I have concluded through reading numerous flight sim forums over and over for the past six to eight months. You may come to another conclusion, however.

John

Unlike previous i3 CPUs, it's quad core and has excellent single core performance. It amazes me that you can't be bothered reading the article but you're happy to make uninformed comments!

This is from another review of the 8350K on TechPowerUp: "Even at our conservative overclock of 4.5 GHz, the CPU gains extra performance nicely and will often compete with the much more expensive i7-7700K in low-thread-count scenarios." If you need lots of threads/cores, then it's not for you. However, if you're looking for impressive single core performance then it's hard to beat.

Then go with it lesh. You asked for opinions. I offered you mine, based on what I have read. It was freely offered. Your acceptance of it isn't required. Very few of us are real experts in flight simming. We do it as a hobby and like to offer what we know in hopes it will help others.

Good luck with you build. May it give you many hours of enjoyment.

John

Archived