FSX Real-World Weather Not Updating/Stuck on Last Reported Weather

I've never had this happened before, but it seems my real-world weather in FSX has remained the exact same over the past 2-3 days. Outside my window it's mostly clear with high over-cast/with cirrus, and at my local airport in FSX it says it's socked in IFR. It was IFR/foggy 2 days ago but today turned up VFR, however FSX reads IFR. Not just IFR, but the same EXACT IFR weather. It seems my real-world weather feature (15 minute-update version) is stuck at the time it was foggy, and hasn't changed. Any suggestions whats causing this?

I've never had this happened before, but it seems my real-world weather in FSX has remained the exact same over the past 2-3 days. Outside my window it's mostly clear with high over-cast/with cirrus, and at my local airport in FSX it says it's socked in IFR. It was IFR/foggy 2 days ago but today turned up VFR, however FSX reads IFR. Not just IFR, but the same EXACT IFR weather. It seems my real-world weather feature (15 minute-update version) is stuck at the time it was foggy, and hasn't changed. Any suggestions whats causing this?

It's an ongoing problem over the last few years. There are times when the weather severs are offline and not updating the weather info. If you are flying out of or into the same areas every time you fly, then you will see the same weather each time.

Your options:

1. Smash computer with a sledgehammer

2. Grit your teeth and enjoy the weather that's provided.

3. Use one of the many freeware/payware weather programs available.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

It's an ongoing problem over the last few years. There are times when the weather severs are offline and not updating the weather info. If you are flying out of or into the same areas every time you fly, then you will see the same weather each time.

Your options:

1. Smash computer with a sledgehammer

2. Grit your teeth and enjoy the weather that's provided.

3. Use one of the many freeware/payware weather programs available.

1. lol

I'm going to assume that the weather where my FSX takes data from (whether a weather station (no pun intended) or METAR) is down. If nothing changes withing the next week or so, then I'm afraid the computer will get the sledge hammer (lol).

According to Microsoft (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/841214/known-issues-with-the-real-world-weather-feature-in-flight-simulator) the real-world weather system not updating properly could be the following things:

* Weather station or source FSX picks up for an area is down

* FSX real-weather servers are down (no internet)

* FSX/Internet caching data instead of downloading new data

I'm going to assume it's either the first or third point. My internet is working just fine. I'll try emptying temporary internet files and if that doesn't work I guess the weather data source is down.

Ok, after seeing other forums on the same issue, I've come to the conclusion that it has to be my ISP, or basically an internet problem, not an FSX issue. I've emptied internet explorer (no I use Chrome, but I was suggested to empty I.E. cached data) cached data that didn't work. I could try deleting all my browser data on chrome, or I can try resetting our internet modem. In all my years of flying on FSX I've never seen this happen before.

Looking at the previous forms, I've noticed a strange pattern when the forums appeared with the FSX real-world weather issue. The oldest forum I saw talking about this issue was in 2009, and then the next set of forums talking about this issue was in 2013. Now, I'm having this issue again (and possible some are too, idk). I've noticed there is a 4-5 year difference between the years with the issue, where between 2009, 2013, and 2018 there were no issues. I'm going to assume that maybe the contract with Microsoft and Jeppesen expired which lead to those issues, then Microsoft reinstated the contract. Now that FSX is in DTG's hands, I'm gonna assume a Jeppesen contract or something expired for FSX and DTG has to renew it to get the real-world weather feature back into FSX.

Looking at the previous forms, I've noticed a strange pattern when the forums appeared with the FSX real-world weather issue. The oldest forum I saw talking about this issue was in 2009, and then the next set of forums talking about this issue was in 2013. Now, I'm having this issue again (and possible some are too, idk). I've noticed there is a 4-5 year difference between the years with the issue, where between 2009, 2013, and 2018 there were no issues. I'm going to assume that maybe the contract with Microsoft and Jeppesen expired which lead to those issues, then Microsoft reinstated the contract. Now that FSX is in DTG's hands, I'm gonna assume a Jeppesen contract or something expired for FSX and DTG has to renew it to get the real-world weather feature back into FSX.

Your assumption is wrong.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Jim, let's just do this the easy way;)

@Johnny Boy. Read this, if you haven't already. It's from 2013 and still applies today.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?262601-Microsoft-Weather

Thanks. I'm just glad it's not my FSX. I guess I'll just have to wait it out until the feature gets fixed, if it even will get fixed, or else I'll have to look at freeware alternatives, or invest in ASN. I made a discussion on steam about this, and it seems others are having the same issue as me.

Had the same problem when I wanted a bit of arctic blizzard flying around JFK the other day! FSX (both disk and Steam) would return VFR weather.

So I just went over to the aviation weather site and got the METAR and recreated it by hand in the advanced weather pages. Close enough for government work, as they say!

Tony Vallillo

Had the same problem when I wanted a bit of arctic blizzard flying around JFK the other day! FSX (both disk and Steam) would return VFR weather.

So I just went over to the aviation weather site and got the METAR and recreated it by hand in the advanced weather pages. Close enough for government work, as they say!

Tony Vallillo

That's probably what I'll have to do for now (user-defined weather + METAR). Or use one of the preset weather themes.

I gave up on the FSX Real Weather. I use FSRealWX, a third party freeware, and it works just fine for me. I usually load my local airport, check to see that FSReaWX is displaying the local conditions correctly, and go where I want to start from. Never had a problem.

ASN is much more advanced, but I'm so broke I can't even pay attention, as the saying goes. I do with what I can afford: freeware. I loads the weather I want just fine.

If I want specific conditions some place I set them up with the user defined weather in FSX. Works good, lasts long time, as they say.

Good luck, and have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I'm not the kinda guy that say's "I told you so", but in this case...

:rolleyes: :cool: :p

Sorry I couldn't resist. I'm glad it works so well for you :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

• 3 months later...
I emailed jeppeson and they told me that they haven't been supplying the real world weather to Microsoft flight sim games for some time.

Welp,

there it is, straight from the horse's...MOUTH. Yeah, mouth... :rolleyes:

Enjoy FSRealwX. :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well JSKorna, perhaps look at it this way. DTG purchased FSX from MS. They put a little time into it and released FSXSE. Since then they have released two FAILED simulations. So it would make perfect sense that some aggrement/contract with Jeppesen may have expired. It appears, that for whatever reason, they don't seem to follow through much on anything. They do however push people to buy defunct unsupported programs to rake in as much of the customers cash as possible. That's business, at least for them. I cured the problem by purchasing ASN on STEAM. Works well with FSXSE and the weather depiction is more accurate than FSX weather ever was. It was worth the $24. Just my opinion though.
Jetline GT2, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super, liquid cooled i7 9700K, 750 PSU, 2 TB SSD, MSFS 2020, P3D V4.5 and FSXSE.

Archived