Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: ~ How many simmers still have their very first screenshot? ~

Hi! I like those endevours of making one plane, or panel, or aircraft.cfg, etc. from severals!

On the other hand, I found some of my pictures of the time of FS2002 and which I found back just using the search of that MSFS Screen Shot Forum (a good way to find old pictures )

Those pictures date some 10-13 years ago (at that time I had skipped FS2004). I just downtoned them in terms of light as I was optimistic at the time in terms of overlighting pics to match the real world Miscellaneous planes, miscellaneous flights
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002b.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	201323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002c.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	201324  
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Quote Originally Posted by KCD View Post
    ...Well, that’s the story of how I got a Baron B-55 into my FS-9 hangar. It’s not as fancy as the Milviz,the doors don’t open, but I don’t fly it to open the doors. The gear works, the flaps work, the plane flies, and it looks and feels like a B-55. ...

Thanks for looking at my little Beech Baron.
    Thank you for such resolve and determination to see your project through, Klee. Fine supporting screenshots to show her with. Have enjoyed reading about it this a.m. while sipping my morning joe, quite inspirational. Will look this little gem up in the coming weeks, for it'd be great to fly her. FS2004-ACOF is first on my list to install as soon as everything is ready here.

Quote Originally Posted by flightsimg View Post
    ...I found some of my pictures of the time of FS2002 and which I found back just using the search of that MSFS Screen Shot Forum...

Those pictures date some 10-13 years ago (at that time I had skipped FS2004). I just downtoned them in terms of light as I was optimistic at the time in terms of overlighting pics to match the real world
    Cool! Am a bit amused with how similar that 2nd shot is compositionally to my first one posted. Seems you had a few different textures fighting it out in a couple of those shots. In the beginning of my notorious screenshot capturing career during FS2002 days I'd do the very same thing as you've done here: Add a little lightening to the images. That, with just a touch of image cropping. That FS8 daytime sky was always so dimly rendered. Thanks again, Gérard!

Is life worth living?
    It all depends on your liver.

" Seems you had a few different textures fighting it out in a couple of those shots."
    Thanks for the comment! Yes, both last ground textures -- as I think your remark is about -- were not the FS8 default. If I remember well I had found a complete set of textures by a Hungarian guy for FS9, but I had managed to make them work into FS8
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Whoa, this post really got me thinking hard, just trying to remember when e x a c t l y I started simming, which I can't remember. What I do remember, is that several years ago, I somehow heard of these things called "flight simulators" for home PC use, which are kinda like games, but not really games, they're supposed to be a tad more realistic. "Man, I like how that sounds", I told myself, "that's what I need"...so off I went into the realm of internet, looking for info on those home flight simulators.

Sure enough, screnshots were abundant, so were videos. So I tried to find a free sim to download and try out, and I ended up on FS sites with addon libraries, such as Surclaro, Flyawaysimulation and FlightSim.com. As I was cluelessly browsing these sites, I landed on their addon libraries, and I remember looking at various addon aircraft listed on these sites, seeing their preview screenshots, and I believed these addon aircraft were the actual simulators. I remember I kept browsing through those lists of "flight simulators" and thinking "oooh, look, a Delta 767...oooooh, but look over there, a Lufthansa 747...maaan, what should I get, a Delta 767 flight simulator or a Lufthansa 747 flight simulator?". Yes, back in my very first days, I was that clueless, I thought the various addon aircraft for FS9 and FSX listed on FS sites, as well as their repaints, were the actual flight simulators, ready to be downloaded and played. But after downloading them, I couldn't understand what the heck I was supposed to do with those folders (panel, sound etc.) and config files, but no executable file.

Next, I think I somehow managed to find an actual free flight simulator - the one 'n only FlightGear, I installed it and I succeeded in getting it to work, however, all I actually did in that sim was to somehow get the plane up in the air several times by pressing Page Up (throttle up). But I was not impressed with it at all, I quickly lost patience with the sim and I uninstalled it. Then, or before FlightGear, I can't remember, God knows how I ended up on God knows what sites, where I could download FS98. I had no idea it was a commercial product, I thought it was a free sim, just like those "flight simulators" on the FS sites, which I didn't know how to install previously (the addon aircraft). But I did manage to install and run FS98, and as I was presented with its virtual world, I remember asking myself "is THIS how it's supposed to look like??" First, the sim shows me that nice looking splash screen with that Cessna Citation, or Learjet, or whatever that plane was, but the actual graphics of the sim are nothing like the splash screen, they're terrible, even the dinosaurs would find that outdated. I started to think I did something wrong OR.....or the sim was simply THAT old, it's called FS98 after all. That moment remained stuck in my memory, and I can't help but burst into laughter each time I think of it; I had absolutely no clue about flight simulators, but even at that stage, I could realize FS98 was...well...there was something funny about it. But I did take the 737 up in the air several times, only to crash it on the runway. I used to stare at those disk-like wheels after taking off. I uninstalled the sim, being disappointed by it. That quenched my desires of getting into FS for some months I think, until I restarted my research into FS, and I found out about FS2004 and FSX, the 2 latest sims from Microsoft, but it took me a while until I could find out which one of the 2 was the latest.

I then decided to go ahead and buy FS9, after learning the history of MSFS, and particularly the age gap between FS98, which by then I realized was payware too, and FS9. I remember being absolutely mesmerized about FS2004's vastly superior graphics compared to FS98, but...I was still largely clueless about FS. I had forgotten how I got the planes into the air back in FlightGear and FS98, and, as I was standing with the default 747 on the runway, I tried pressing the forward arrow to get the plane going, as you would do in games, like GTA and stuff. The plane would do nothing. Then I started to seriously research and learn about FS, and it was at that moment I realized FS is NOT a game, where you just press the forward arrow and the plane would zip across the landscape, press the backward arrow and the plane would brake, as in a racing game, that's when I realized FS was actually a friggin' simulator, vastly more realistic and more complex than I had anticipated, that's when I realized what I bought myself, and when my smming life actually started. That surely is the time when I took my first screenshots.

And now that I think about it, all this happened around the time I got my first wireless USB modem, around 2009-2010, so my simming history must have started in 2009-2010. Furthermore, I had kept some of my very first screenshots in "My Pictures" for many years, up until a few years ago, when I must have moved them on a USB stick or disk or cloud service or something, but not quite knowing where, or if I even have them anymore. And this very post right here, prompted me to go hunting, and try to find those old shots. A quick search in my cloud backups yielded no results, but when I checked an old USB stick...sure enough - I found them, I'm happy to say I actually still have some of my very first FS screenshots. And a quick look at their exif info confirms my suspicions about the time when I started my "FS life" - "modified" in 2010 and 2011.

The sims I lost my virginity with are FlightGear and FS98 (not sure which one was the first, it was a long time ago) but I only used those for a few days, after which I got FS2004, which I'm still using today, and probably will continue to use for many years to come. And looking back at those shots, I've come a long way, like all of us. Dayum, these pics bring back quite some memories... It seems by the time I took these pics, I already had REX.

According to exif info, it was taken on March 8th 2011. Original title: "America over Alaska". High-end aircraft, Boeing with Airbus panel, Embraer with 747 sound, or as in this case - an AI plane...made no difference to me back then..

According to exif: taken on December the 10th 2010. Original title: "757 condor". I remember I was in overspeed when I took this shot. The plane was shaking and trembling.

October 31st 2010

August 28th 2010

October 10th 2010, "bmi a321".

October 28th 2010. I remember I was looking at that awfully looking terrain and thinking "this looks like manure for heaven's sake, how can I make it look better?". And that's how my years-long effort at improving the eye-candy of my terrain started, trying out various tricks and configs, terrain addons, often combining bits and pieces of several such addons.

September 1st 2010

September 20th 2010

September 2nd 2010, "JAPAN AIR LINES". I remember the plane was struggling to stay at that altitude when I took this one. That's rather evident from the nose-up posture visible in the shot.

September 30th 2010

Some more...

January 28th 2011. I was already trying out addon sceneries, in this case, that of my hometown airport. I was particularly happy with this landing, as it was among the first smooth landings I managed to pull off, if not THE first one. Again, an AI plane, still made no difference to me.

January 26th 2011

July 31st 2010. No intention to brag, but I think some shots turned out to be pretty pretty, considering I was a noob.

January 20th 2011. I think this is my favorite of all first shots.

The following 2 shots are also among my favorite. Taken around November or December 2010, again, according to exif. I was really enjoying my brand new REX at the time.

October 31st 2010

December 26th 2010

Hi MiB! Your pics will trigger memories among simmers here!

About FS98, I only realized later than I used it, that it was already realistic indeed, I think. It had correct navaids but the terrain, I accept that, was poor (albeit also correctly located)

The trouble with FSX now -- should you consider to pass to -- is that is turned incredibly expensive. In France at least: I bought a boxed one, the Gold edition, about 4 years ago at about, say, 25 Euros as now you just find second-hand ones at 350! Should I have anticipated that, I would have bought all what remained in the shop

I've yet to take my first screen shot, but then I've only been simming for 23 years...

Not to worry, you'll get to it some day.
    B55 Slug.jpg

Blog Entries

Also, while thinking about it, my very first flight sim was Pro Pilot 99. Then I “ moved up” and bought Flight Unlimited 3...
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

Yowza... be gone a few days and this thread's responses stack up! Glad to see such fine contributions continuing. Have been configuring my new computer recently and will catch up on everything here in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by TightGit View Post

I've yet to take my first screen shot, but then I've only been simming for 23 years...
    Am knowing a long-time screenshot artiste who will be happy to teach you for the special, one-time deal of just $35 USD. And wait, there's more! As an added bonus for a limited time, said screenshot artiste will come and indefinitely hang out with you... and that's not all! For the next 60 callers only, this infamous screenshot artiste will happily sing to you: "Off we go into the wild blue yonder...". Offer not good in Botswana, Bahrain, Bogota, and some of France.

​.

Last edited by boxcar; 02-15-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Is life worth living?
    It all depends on your liver.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast