Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: ~ How many simmers still have their very first screenshot? ~

Hi MiB! Your pics will trigger memories among simmers here!

About FS98, I only realized later than I used it, that it was already realistic indeed, I think. It had correct navaids but the terrain, I accept that, was poor (albeit also correctly located)

The trouble with FSX now -- should you consider to pass to -- is that is turned incredibly expensive. In France at least: I bought a boxed one, the Gold edition, about 4 years ago at about, say, 25 Euros as now you just find second-hand ones at 350! Should I have anticipated that, I would have bought all what remained in the shop
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

I've yet to take my first screen shot, but then I've only been simming for 23 years...

Effective 3/1/18: Collegeville, Pennsylvania 19426

Not to worry, you'll get to it some day.
    B55 Slug.jpg

Blog Entries

Also, while thinking about it, my very first flight sim was Pro Pilot 99. Then I “ moved up” and bought Flight Unlimited 3...
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

My Gawd, Sky King is back!
    B55 Slug.jpg

"a long-time screenshot artiste"
    Ho! I know, he also knows the guy who is able to check your wine cellar! Fine
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

David, I'm delighted to know you savoured my story, as much as I savoured the stories and ancient screenies of all the other folks here. See, your reply reminds me of another delightful little thingie that came bundled with FS - all those wonderful virtual friendships I've developed over the years within the FS community, with so many friendly and funny individuals, all the jokes we've exchanged, all the help we've offered to one another, and generally, all the good time I've enjoyed with such like-minded individuals, even if it only happened in the virtual medium. And then there are the occasional multies. No other field of activity, no other place on the internet and no other hobby brought me so much friendly interaction with equally friendly and delightful people, when speaking of strictly online interactions, as FS has. Sure, bad apples or simply "apples" with whom I just don't resonate, are also omnipresent, but that doesn't change anything...

As for FSX...sure I'd wish for a superior and more advanced simulator, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just not worth the upgrade. It has always looked that way for me, and the way it seems, it's gonna continue to be that way for a long time. I've often stated why this is, and I shall copy paste what I recently told somebody else about why I'm such a die-hard FS9er:

"I've been saying this often - basically, for me it's simply enough what FS9 delivers, I'm just not that serious about FS. It's not that I wouldn't like to have FSX or P3D-like graphics and technologies in my sim, I mean who wouldn't, but the effort and hassle associated with switching over to a newer sim is just far too great for me to justify the upgrade. I'd have to find FSX (or P3D or whatever) specific addons of all the megatons of aircraft and scenery I have in my FS9, many of which don't exist for the newer sims. I've spent countless hours and sleepless nights just to tweak my FS9 and its addons exactly the way I want them to be. Now I'd have to do it all over again, just to have better graphics and other technologies, without which I can still enjoy simming very much. It just doesn't worth it for me. FS9 is far simpler, smaller, it's already "equipped" with everything I need, tweaked by myself, and as ancient as it may be, its level of realism is just enough for me.

In other words, let's say I have a Renault Twingo from 2001 customized and equipped with countless accessories and with great efforts over many years until brought in exactly the state I want it to be. Now I could pay 40.000 euros on a Ford Edge SUV from 2016, which is of course superior in every way to my 2001 little Twingo BUT...it would be a far too high price to pay just to have an SUV, which would be nice and all, but my actual needs of driving around my little town and in its immediate vicinity are satisfied just fine by a minicar as old as the 2001 Renault Twingo. Besides, I'd have to spend yet more years getting and customizing accessories for the new car, and it would occupy more space in my backyard."

I haven't seen any posted quite this old.

Date on this one is 10/8/1997 18:42 (?)FS5/FS98(?) KECG and a USCG C-130

Name:  KECG1.gif
Views: 123
Size:  42.6 KB
    Last edited by jmbiii; 02-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.

M.I.B...
    You are hardly alone. There is a cadre of us who, for various reasons, prefer FS9. My primary reason would have to be the amount of time, effort and money I have invested. When I try to evaluate the benefits of moving to the allegedly superior FSX, I look at those ingredients and ask myself what is the investment in time, effort, and dollars going to look like to get FSX to reflect levels equal to my FS9, which looks almost as good as FSX anyway. The answer is too much, so FSX sits quietly on the hard drive, unused awaiting the day when I will be forced to migrate because of discontinued support. I find (FS9 to be the most stable FS platform MS ever produced. I'm not convinced that "X" was any more to "9" than any number of replacement OSs were after the very stable XP. Why try to fix that which isn't broken, and my FS9 isn't broken at all!
    Last edited by KCD; 02-19-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    B55 Slug.jpg

Blog Entries

Jeff-- Am remembering Pro Pilot 99 from about 20 years ago but never got to fly it. At the time it seemed pretty well rated overall. And I remember seeing shots from Flight Unlimited III that were amazing back in the day with the great terrain textures and mesh. Looking Glass Studios could have done wonders staying with developing the Flight Unlimited series but MSFS2000 got the lion's share of the market so the bean counters won out.”

Yes sir. Pro Pilot 99 had a problem whereby the clouds looked like Legos. But besides that, it was ok.
    Flight Unlimited III was excellent, although it only covered the state of Washington. But it was a cool touch flying the seaplane right up to Bill Gates’ mansion! And their crash effect was cool; the planes literally broke apart..

What could’ve been bad Looking Glass been successful and kept making FS..
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast