Installing fs9 into windows 10. A question or two or more.

HoratioWondersocks

Hello

It's a long time since my last post ,but here goes.

Owing to an act of great stupidity on my behalf I have wrecked my pc.

Iam taking delivery of a new one tomorrow.

It comes with windows ten .

I have been trying to gen up as much as possible on getting 9 correctly installed and running with W10

I think? I have got it sorted ,but some extra help is required

I am thinking of going about it this way........ (dreading the whole process though)

I am going to install fs9 as a new installation from the original disk's.

If that goes ok then Iam going to copy over the new installation with the backed up copy(mercifully up to date) of my previous installation which I have on a separate external disc drive.

Does this sound a plausible method of going about things? My backed up copy has the 9.1 patch and also the no cd thingy as well ,so will they work or do I need to download anew these two items?

Any thoughts or extra tips appreciated .

I know there are guides to installing fs9 into W10 ,and I have been studying and looking at some videos on you tube, but any extra information that may make the whole process a little less stressful would be a great help.

Cheers all

Andy

Edited by HoratioWondersocks

Andy,

The first thing you need to do is to install FS9 as a "custom" install, preferably into a partition other than the one in which your Win10 lives. Not only that but you need to designate the same FS9 main folder name as the one used in your backup. E.g. If your backed up main FS9 folder name is "FS2004" then you must specify this name during your new FS9 installation from the CDs.

When this is all done, delete .. do not uninstall .. the complete contents of you newly installed "FS2004" folder and then copy/paste the complete contents of your backup "FS2004" folder into the now empty new FS2004 folder.

Only in this way will the necessary folder structure remain intact as was setup during the new install from the CDs. Only the file sizes will be different.

I've already done this a few times without problems but I must admit that it was in WinXP and Win7 environments. However, I cannot think of any real reason why this should not work with Win10.

Good luck.

Hans

Hello Roger

Iam at the moment right in the middle of the process.

So far I have got as far as installing a new copy of fs9 from my original disk's.

That appears to have gone ok.

Of course 9 wouldn't run (which was to be expected ) as it needs the nocd thing to work.

I am at the moment copying my backed up copy of 9 from an external drive which contains both the nocd thing and the 9.1 patch, as it stands iam 16 % in the copying process.

I really hope this works as I do miss my sim flying,

As an aside before I began the main business of installing into the new pc I tried running the sim from the external drive ,and it did run from there albeit with many error messages whilst loading.

Anyway now at 18% copying

Will let you no what occurs

Thanks Andrew

Edited by HoratioWondersocks

Hello All

An update on installing FS9 into ws10.

So far so good.

It seems to me that getting Fs9 to run on 10 is no problem.

You just need the No....that file.

My real struggle has been not with W10, but copying over my backed up previous version of FS9 and getting it not only functioning but done neatly, also getting all those other third party programs that we all depend upon up and running to.

Some good news....things like FsNavigator(vital for me) ,my AI Aircraft prog (something 2006....the free one ran with no need for rein). The only little glitch...one of my favourite and most useful utilities called 'Fuel loader' (available from Avsim) simply wont run , on trying it comes up with the strange message that "No default printer has been selected" if anybody has any ideas on how to get Fuel loader to run on 10 I would appreciate it.

Right! its now down to flying time. As of yet I have not tried a decent length flight test .After a marathon ten hour session yesterday just getting it all installed and also trying to figure out the W10 interface for just the normal mundane functions that are used for this sort of operation took a serious toll on my eyes and brain.

I have now got my Airsource logger up and running so hope to fly tonight.

one other thing I suspect I will have to fiddle with is Editvoicepak to get the ATC speak sped up.

That is not critical though as I don't use the ATC for flights at all ,and only to request a taxi to gates or parking on landing.

In summary I don't think running 9 on 10 looks to be a problem....Getting a rather large installation and all the extras transferred and going (certainly was a problem in my case) , that was not because of anything wrong with 10 though. The whole process has proved time consuming ,but now I hope I am ready to fly.

PS I don't think iam going to need Zippys kind offer of his hammer.

PPS I wasn't a hammer that destroyed my old pc ,but a thumb ,inexplicably jammed (much to forcibly) into a noisy CPU fan in an attempt to quieten it ,the CPU and motherboard did not like this act of vandalism ,and reacted accordingly.

DO NOT !try this sort idiot behaviour yourselves...it has proved very costly....

We live and learn(Sometimes)

Thanks Andy

Hi Andy,

Although a FSX user now when I had FS2004 I used a fuel loader app, can't remember the name of it, but I do remember that it did have a function to print off what was termed 'Dispatch Notes' which basically gave details of fuel and weight loads etc.

So something simple to check for.......

Does the app you use offer the ability to print out reports - if so check the printer related settings.

Many apps, not just FS related, that offer such print functions often set themselves to on or auto print on initial install

Regards

Brian

Hi Andy,

Although a FSX user now when I had FS2004 I used a fuel loader app, can't remember the name of it, but I do remember that it did have a function to print off what was termed 'Dispatch Notes' which basically gave details of fuel and weight loads etc.

So something simple to check for.......

Does the app you use offer the ability to print out reports - if so check the printer related settings.

Many apps, not just FS related, that offer such print functions often set themselves to on or auto print on initial install

Hello Brian

I managed to get fuel loader running.

I had a thought about the error message generated each time i tried to open it which was 'no default printer selected ' so I selected one and joy ! Fuel loader now opens and runs correctly.

Your explanation of exactly what was going on proved to be correct .

Thanks Andrew

PS I now have Fs9 running correctly with 10 and with all add-on programs and utilities installed correctly and running as well.

Can't really believe I did it.

And 9 is as good as ever.

• 3 years later...

Hi.

The most common problem with a new installation of FS9 on Win 10 is that Win 10 won't allow things to run directly from CD or DVD.

If you're trying to run FS9 by using the disk (Disk 4?) in the DVD drive, you'll need instead to do a quick web search for "FS9 no CD patch" or a similar term. The first few hits should present you with a replacement FS9.exe which will run from your hard drive and will not require any CD.

Cheers,

D

Gi'day,

Just to be aware, there are two "NoCD" patches: one for the plain "retail" FS9 installation and one for the FS9.1 update. They are not interchangeable. Download both as well as the FS9.1 update.

To answer your question "what do I do?"

(i) Install FS9 from the disks.

(ii) Run FS9 (which, of course, does not boot up). Leave Disc 4 in the CD drive.

You need to resort to a little jiggery-pokery at this point ...

(iii) In Windows Explorer look in the FS9 root folder for the file fs9.exe

(iv) Either remove fs9.exe to somewhere safe (a temp folder) or rename it (for example: fs9.retail).

(v) Install the 1st, or "retail", NoCD patch in the FS9 root folder.

(vi) Boot FS9 and set your up preferences. I even do a test flight just to make sure things are working properly.

(vii) Exit FS9.

(viii) Not really necessary, but at this point I reboot the computer. Remember to remove Disc 4.

The following is assuming you are going to update FS9 to FS9.1 ...

(ix) In your temp folder (see: step iv), find, or rename fs9.retail back to, fs9.exe

(x) Look in the root FS9 folder and swap out the "retail" NoCD FS9 patch with the original fs9.exe

(xi) Now run the FS9.1 patch.

(xii) In your now patched FS9 root folder find the fs9.exe file and either move it to a temp folder or rename it (for example: fs9.1).

(xiii) Install the FS9.1 NoCD patch in the root FS9 folder.

(xiv) Now, boot up FS9 ...

and Bob's yr n 'uncle and fanny's yr aunt ...

Trust this all makes sense ... it's all very easy, actually.