Problem with graphics?

ital

Hi,

Ever since I installed FS2004 on any machine and running it I have this square looking thing around my aircraft and I can't seem to get rid of it. I don't know what to do, in the past I've tried many options and changes, maybe I was doing them wrong, I don't know but it is very annoying. Maybe it's something to do in the fs9.cfg file? Does every FS2004 user have that square surrounding the user aircraft regardless of addons or anything? Please I'm hoping someone can really help fix this for good, I'll appreciate it very very much.

2.jpg

fs9w1.jpg

This guy has the same issue...

Guest Sascha66
Hi,

Ever since I installed FS2004 on any machine and running it I have this square looking thing around my aircraft and I can't seem to get rid of it. I don't know what to do, in the past I've tried many options and changes, maybe I was doing them wrong, I don't know but it is very annoying. Maybe it's something to do in the fs9.cfg file? Does every FS2004 user have that square surrounding the user aircraft regardless of addons or anything? Please I'm hoping someone can really help fix this for good, I'll appreciate it very very much.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]200552[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]200553[/ATTACH]

This guy has the same issue...

Check your fs9.cfg, it should have a default terrain radius and extended terrain radius in the terrain section. More info eg on this thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?47849-Lets-talk-fs9-cfg-terrain-settings

Thanks but it seems it didn't work.

I have changed several times the values, nothing changed in flight :confused:

Here's my default section :

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000

TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000

TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19

TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8

TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5

TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0.000000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=0.000000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=0

"TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0.000000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=0"

You have zero default and extended radius so FS is only displaying a minimal circle around your aircraft.

I have 9.000, 4.5, and 3 for these values. Try that, may not be optimal for your system but is somewhere to start.

Default radius, as I understand it, is the circle around your aircraft which will be displayed in full detail; extended radius is the width of a ring around that displayed in lower resolution; levels is the number of those rings used. If the default radius is too large it will quickly consume resources trying to display detail you will never see.

So like that?

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3

But then again the square is still there. I want it off. I don't want it displayed like the pictures I showed.

2.jpg

You could have two [TERRAIN] sections in your FS9.cfg file, and if so, the second one will override the first and needs to be deleted.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Sorry but I'm not quite sure what you guys are meaning. I'm testing this with everything on default, textures, sceneries, etc... a clean install with nothing added. On my main desktop it's the same thing with the addons. And no I only have one [TERRAIN] section. You guys don't have that square in your sim?

Oh yes, we will get that "square", if the terrain settings aren't correct. What you are seeing is the minimum amount of surface detail being rendered directly under your aircraft. Those terrain settings should be making that space much larger then surrounding it with successive rings of lower detail.

I'm assuming your FS9 is not installed in Program Files and is being run in XP mode as admin.

It's possible your FS9.cfg is corrupted. Rename it and start the sim, it will create a new cfg file with all default settings, of course you will have to go through and readjust all your settings but this may get the terrain section working again.

Ok thanks for that info. I don't mind if it will stay there but yeah making it much much larger will be very good because the ocean and grounds look very weird at high altitude views like the pictures in first post. I removed the existing cfg file and launched fs9 then I exited then I entered the values you gave in previous post and still no changes :confused:

I have no such squares, even at 41,000 ft. This is my terrain section:

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=232

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Are you making changes to the FS9.cfg anywhere but it C:\Users\\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 ? Like in the actual FS9 folder?

What software are you using to edit your FS9.cfg? If it's anything but NotePad, or NotePad++, don't use it.

Are you running the editing software as Administrator?

Making absolutely you save before you exit?

Do you make sure FS9 is shut down when editing?

Then you restart it after you are finished editing?

I'm just "fishing" here...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The pictures that are with windowed mode are the ones tested on my lighter pc while the fullscreen ones are with the main rig + addons. Yes I'm editing the fs9.cfg file in the correct directory. I use notepad and this is the current TERRAIN section with FS settings before starting editing a few days ago...

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0.000000

set1.jpg

set2.jpg

set3.jpg

set4.jpg

i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz

16GB RAM DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB

Win7 HP

2 drives, FS2004 installed on a separate drive than windows.

I run the sim by double clicking shortcut icon. (no-cd)

For some time until now I have never made any changes to the settings or anything related to graphics, settings, displays and so on. I only keep adding AI. I have never ran the sim while making changes, it's always closed before editing. I tried the values given in this topic for TERRAIN section but nothing changed on any machine. I did lower some displays for a try too on main rig.

Those are lowered settings??

I know clouds, especially the 3D clouds, eat resources like mad. Try cutting those WAY back, or even [gasp] off?

Your scenery settings are almost all maxxed out. Make them all default again, and see what happens. Water is another resource hog. Cut the water down about 50%, and see what happens.

If those are what you consider lowered, you might want to adjust your understanding of that a little...lower? :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Those are lowered settings??

If those are what you consider lowered, you might want to adjust your understanding of that a little...lower? :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Pat☺

lol

Yes, sliders down and didn't mention first post but certainly uncheck boxes! eg Render to Texture plus all the others. If it's still there with low settings then you can start looking at things like config entries, card drivers etc. FS settings are easy and quick to check. You can play with cfg's the next 20 years and you're problem likely won't go away if it's just a standard FS setting bringing the problem on.

Mark Daniels

FWIW, there's a handy utility for editing FS9.cfg, "FS9 Configurator" (https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004util&DLID=67713 ). While it also accesses scenery, saves, system settings, etc., I use it solely for FS9.cfg; easy access (no tracking down the file or editing the wrong one), backup/restore options, popup notes for many functions, and a simple interface make it easier than even notepad.

Guys, no no, maybe I caused a missunderstanding with the last phrase before the settings pictures. Sorry about that, I'll fix that post. What I meant was that I have tried with max, medium and low settings even everything down and unchecked boxes and still nothing. The following pictures were just a showcase of my regular runs in the sim with the TERRAIN section (before starting editing) and the main pc specs (if those could have helped)

I have been searching videos or any screenshot to try to find a FS2004 user without these square views at high altitude but then if nothing is applying for me I guess I have a system problem on 2 different desktops? My main rig is bought since September 2013 and I really keep it as clean as it can be, the other pc just a little further months.

I have no such squares, even at 41,000 ft. This is my terrain section:

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000

Hope this helps,

Thank you Mark, I appreciate it.

I just don't know how Tom or other users seems to have it working fine.

A little update. The only change applying is if I uncheck "extended terrain textures" and then that square will become much closer around my aircraft.

.... The only change applying is if I uncheck "extended terrain textures" and then that square will become much closer around my aircraft.

Then things are working, the extended textures are rings around the default circle. Try larger numbers for

Default radius is the size of the circle directly beneath your aircraft. Extended radius is the width of the ring(s) around it. Extended levels is how many rings are used. I've no idea what, if any, limits there are to these values; I've never seen much larger than this used (of course FS9 predates 2gig+ vid cards and 16gig RAM and these recommendations are years old).

Archived