Out of memory

captain.cupacke

Firstly sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm on the point of quitting FSX for good as I'm fed up with getting

an 'OUT OF MEMORY' message and fSX SHUTTING DOWN.

I'm running a pretty good system Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4Ghz 32Gb RAM Windows 10 (64 bit)

This PC is used for FSX only so there are no programmes running that are not needed

and any that are but I'm not using for that particular flighht are also shut down.

If anyone can help I would be more than grateful.

(I'm disabled and flight sim is one of the few things I get any satisfaction from - or did!)

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Unfortunately "running a pretty good system" has no real bearing on this problem. It is down to the limitations of a 32bit program like FSX. The only way to deal with it is to manage both the in-game settings and to check that there are minimal other programs running in the background.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There are many threads dealing with "out of memory", but basically, with FSX it runs within a 4 GB "VAS" - virtual address space, and the message comes when you fill this VAS up. The limit of 4 GB is imposed by FSX being a 32-bit application. Other programs and background programs will run outside this VAS, especially on a 32 GB system, where there's plenty of space for them (but they "steal" CPU cycles....).

So, let's concentrate on those 4 GB that FSX can work with. What impacts upon the VAS used are the settings and the amount of AI you have, among many other things. Try to go through Kosta's FSX Tweaking Guide, found here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259352-FSX-P3D-Software-and-Hardware-Tweaking-Guide

This will give you some help. Also search the forum for other threads about this issue.

If you still have issues, then post your FSX.CFG here, so we can take a look.

Jorgen

Firstly sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm on the point of quitting FSX for good as I'm fed up with getting

an 'OUT OF MEMORY' message and fSX SHUTTING DOWN.

I'm running a pretty good system Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4Ghz 32Gb RAM Windows 10 (64 bit)

This PC is used for FSX only so there are no programmes running that are not needed

and any that are but I'm not using for that particular flighht are also shut down.

If anyone can help I would be more than grateful.

(I'm disabled and flight sim is one of the few things I get any satisfaction from - or did!)

Thanks in advance!

With those specs you should try a 64-bit sim.

I've not had any problem running FSX on a 64 bit OS, so it should run it. Let me just double check some thing (feel free to shout expletives at me) you have SP1 and SP2 installed? A few years ago i purchased a new computer but i didn't install SP2 and kept getting OOM problem.

Good Luck.

Please....don't give up yet. There is an incredible amount of knowledge on these forums and many folks more than willing to help you get through this rough spot. The OOM problem you're having is a common one anytime complex aircraft and scenery is used. It can also occur when all the "eye-candy" is set to maximum. Or some combination of all that "stuff". As Jorgen says it would really be helpful to spot potential issues if folks could see your FSX.cfg file. Also helpful would be a short description of what's going on when an OOM occurs.....aircraft and scenery used, weather settings, location, etc. Your system is fine. Now it's just a matter of finding the right combination of settings..........Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Does it happen if you use a stock fsx aircraft?

How long into a flight does it happen?

What are your in-game settings?

Also it may be worth posting your fsx.cfg so that the technos amongst us can try to help.

Cheers Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There is no such thing as an "accelerator pack 2". You'll either have FSX with SP1 and SP2, or you'll have FSX with Acceleration, also known as FSX Gold, or you'll have FSX-SE.

Please notice that if you have either FSX Gold or FSX-SE and you then install SP1 and/or SP2 on either of these, you're looking at a complete reinstall.

Sorry if this sounds harsh or intimidating, it is certainly not intended to. But it is so extremely important to be very precise when you're dealing with computer-technical issues.

Jorgen - retired computer tech.

Archived