Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of memory

Default Out of memory

Firstly sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm on the point of quitting FSX for good as I'm fed up with getting
    an 'OUT OF MEMORY' message and fSX SHUTTING DOWN.

I'm running a pretty good system Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4Ghz 32Gb RAM Windows 10 (64 bit)

This PC is used for FSX only so there are no programmes running that are not needed
    and any that are but I'm not using for that particular flighht are also shut down.

If anyone can help I would be more than grateful.
    (I'm disabled and flight sim is one of the few things I get any satisfaction from - or did!)

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps you can go back to Win7. It works better!
    Peter Sydney Ausralia

Hi,

Unfortunately "running a pretty good system" has no real bearing on this problem. It is down to the limitations of a 32bit program like FSX. The only way to deal with it is to manage both the in-game settings and to check that there are minimal other programs running in the background.

Cheers
    Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There are many threads dealing with "out of memory", but basically, with FSX it runs within a 4 GB "VAS" - virtual address space, and the message comes when you fill this VAS up. The limit of 4 GB is imposed by FSX being a 32-bit application. Other programs and background programs will run outside this VAS, especially on a 32 GB system, where there's plenty of space for them (but they "steal" CPU cycles....).

So, let's concentrate on those 4 GB that FSX can work with. What impacts upon the VAS used are the settings and the amount of AI you have, among many other things. Try to go through Kosta's FSX Tweaking Guide, found here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...Tweaking-Guide

This will give you some help. Also search the forum for other threads about this issue.

If you still have issues, then post your FSX.CFG here, so we can take a look.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by captain.cupacke View Post
    Firstly sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm on the point of quitting FSX for good as I'm fed up with getting
    an 'OUT OF MEMORY' message and fSX SHUTTING DOWN.

I'm running a pretty good system Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4Ghz 32Gb RAM Windows 10 (64 bit)

This PC is used for FSX only so there are no programmes running that are not needed
    and any that are but I'm not using for that particular flighht are also shut down.

If anyone can help I would be more than grateful.
    (I'm disabled and flight sim is one of the few things I get any satisfaction from - or did!)

Thanks in advance!
    With those specs you should try a 64-bit sim.

6. Default

Hello, the quickest way to deal with this is to back off your scenery settings start with traffic, this should stop this from happening i run my traffic about 40% and still get plenty eye candy, good luck

It's not necessary to turn AI and other traffic back. I have airline traffic, GA traffic and ship/ferries at 100%, but road traffic at 5%. LOD radius above the default 4.5, however, takes a toll on your VAS for sure.

Jorgen

8. Default

Hi,
    I had the same issue but by chance found that enabling Dx10 and having Steves fixer I gained more than 200 mbytes of VAS memory. This is with PMDG 737 NGX and Scenery sliders well over to the right. Orbix Active sky Chase Plane etc all functioning normally. Worth a try.
    Have fun,
    Gabriel

9. Default

I've not had any problem running FSX on a 64 bit OS, so it should run it. Let me just double check some thing (feel free to shout expletives at me) you have SP1 and SP2 installed? A few years ago i purchased a new computer but i didn't install SP2 and kept getting OOM problem.
    Good Luck.

In addition to Gabriel's suggestion of using DX10 preview mode/Steve's Scenery Fixer, get FSX:SE if you don't already have it. It's built with a more modern compiler and handles VAS better than the boxed version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast