I wish to make a Flightsim setup

My current System on Parts Picker

My immediate desires are to buy a Volair Sims Cockpit with Avionics panel and Logitech Yoke System (Prefer a Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke System as I read it was a bit better but not sure I trust used items), Throttle maybe x2 for future proofing though I mainly desire to fly General Aviation not airliners. At first I might use my Ipad and air manager for dials until I can afford the $1,014 for 6 Logitech Flight Instrument Panels 1 Flight Mutli Panel, 2 x Flight Radio Panel, and other items I am sure.

I am trying to decide if my system is enough for Prepar3d if it can run that in 64 bit it should be fine for FSX in 32bit yes?

Should I have the fastest Graphics card? Can my 800W power supply handle it?

I know FSX is more CPU intensive what is the fast single core performance on a Socket 1151 CPU

What is the fastest Single core CPU PERIOD? what type of Motherboard do I need if I want to upgrade?

Is my 16GB of ADATA XPG DDR4 3000 (PC4 2400) memory too slow? what is best memory?

Hard drives I plan to get m.2 512GB Samsung 960 Pro just for the Sims and addons and upgrade my OS drive from 240 to fastest 512 SSD I can.

Any tips for a confused newbie will be appreciated. without making a $12,000 system what would be the best you can make PC for Prepared, FSX-SE. Racing sims etc.?

MB: MSI Tomahawk Arctic | CPU: Core i7-7700 3.6GHz (Turbo 4.20) | Video: MSI 1070 Armor 8GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4 2400) | OS Drive: 250GB SATA PC SSD WD Blue | Data Drive: 2TB Toshiba | High Power 800w Bronze | Win 10 Home Edition 64-bit

What's in your sig now is all you need. Because FSX isn't coded for multiple cores, you just can't maximize performance all that much unless the CPU has better single threaded ability. Video card makes really no difference at all unless you have multiple monitors. You really don't need a m.2 drive. a SSD with SATA III is fast enough. You won't notice any difference between the two other than in benchmarking.

So I need to look into upgrading to a better motherboard that will use the fastest single core CPU I can get and maybe overclock? Any tips on what the fastest single cores are?

I get confused on what is meant by single core speed,

does this mean RAW speed? as in my i7-7700 3.6GHz vs say a i3-7300 4.0GHz or i7-7740X 4.30GHz

OR

Single THREAD PERFORMANCE which according to CPUbenchmark is the i7-8700K 3.70GHz only slightly faster than mine in GHz but WAY faster in CPU Mark benchmarks

Mine i7-7700 = score 2,348

i3-7300 = score 2,326 (22 slower than mine)

i7-7740X = score 2,615 (267 faster than mine)

and fastes i7-8700K = score 2,731 (383 Faster than mine)

MB: MSI Tomahawk Arctic | CPU: Core i7-7700 3.6GHz (Turbo 4.20) | Video: MSI 1070 Armor 8GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4 2400) | OS Drive: 250GB SATA PC SSD WD Blue | Data Drive: 2TB Toshiba | High Power 800w Bronze | Win 10 Home Edition 64-bit

Well I am currently running a 55" OLED 4K TV and a LG 34UC97-S Ultrawide monitor, but dream of a triple Monitor/TV setup for more immersion, Settings mostly high except for shadows and water quality in most games I play as I heard these will drop FPS severely.

I do plan in a year or so to get a new (OVERCLOCKABLE Motherboard/CPU setup and what ever the latest best Video card for the buck will be at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have build three different flightsim cockpits. My first was merely two old CRT monitors one above the other, for the outside view and instruments. I then invested in a series of Go-Flight panels for the radios, autopilot, extra buttons, etc. This worked fine for instrument practice before a real world flight.

After I lost my medical and quit real world flying I decided to build a T-38 cockpit. I had flown the aircraft in pilot training and fondly remembered the joy of flying the T-38. As such I started making my own switches and axis controllers to supplement the joystick and throttle ones. For instruments, I used custom made instruments from Flight Illusions.

My most recent sim cockpit is a cross between the F-16 & F-18. When building it I decided to use a touch screen monitor for the instruments, rather than the hardware ones. For $300 or less, I purchased a 27" touchscreen monitor. Now, when I get a new airplane, I open a second window with "VC only view' and drag it to the 27" monitor. I resize it and adjust it to show the instruments. I then save this setup. When I want to fly the aircraft, I just load the saved aircraft. My panel is there in front of me. I also have a third touchscreen monitor that is usually used for the GTN 750/650. My outside view is now a 4'X8' projection in 1080p. This arrangement gives me an in cockpit instrument panel and a IRTrack movable outside view.

I once used hardware instruments. They are now sitting on a shelf. The touchscreen monitor allows me to interact with the instrument panel. I use pots and controllers to set things like HDG, CRS, and trim. I recommend that you consider using a touchscreen monitor for instruments. The nice thing about it is that the panel always matches the aircraft you are flying. With the money you will save, consider buying a more professional yoke. It will last for many years and be more accurate.

Just some suggestions. Cockpit building is 75% planning and 25% building.

John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

Archived