Old and new, fresh project flight simulator.

Sim Pilot

My first post to this community... Old, that's me. New, my latest idea, Fresh Project, Flight simulator in the making.

As a hobby, I create virtual stuff... Like a virtual organ... take a old broken organ, remove everything and build a new fresh virtual organ into that old cabinet. Time for something new...

My flight simulator in the planning phase... Soon I'll have questions to little hick-ups to overcome. Here is my blog link on the project and please share your ideas... specially if you have your sim on a motion platform to simulate pitch and roll.

https://africansimpilot.blogspot.co.za/p/planning-my-cessna-182-flight-simulator.html

I intend to carry on using FS9 on my simulator.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How good are you with instrument flying? I like FS9, cause I can fly challenges like the following: Night Flight, night landings on water or runways with no lights. I like a challenge... Not bothered with super graphics.

FAPG Night.jpg

Here is a short video.

https://youtu.be/wBzaoNnXgFE

Please give me a challenge to fly! I fly in multi - screen mode and placed the cockpit instruments on the main screen for the video.

Check the libraries here under fs2004 Flights/Adventures, keyword "difficult", also "challenge". You'll find everything from landing during a hurricane to seeking tiny airports in the Himalayas at night.

Awesome! Will do just that now!

I need a little help. My knowledge of complicated computer tasks is about at copy a:*.* c:\ from the days of Dos 6.2.

I want to create our airfield on my FS9 but sadly my understanding of the published information is above my fireplace. I tried downloading things here and there and just got lost. Is there somewhere a monkey see monkey do tutorial to do this.

I live in the small village of Ladismith rural part of the Western Cape of South Africa. We have a airstrip here and is only used fire the fire fighter pilots like the other day.

Our airstrip is described as follows by another pilot.

1000 meter gravel strip. Runway 12 and 30 with wind socks both ends. Runway 30 have a steep up-slope for the first 200 meters and not usable. Runway 12 is usable but not the first 100 meters.

I'll include a Google earth screen print.

On FS9, our town is a few buildings and I have sort of bush bashing my Virtual Cessna 182 to land there and may I say, the buildings here, do look like that... How can I create this airfield in FS9, and at least improve my runway to asphalt. I suppose the slope... also visible on my screenshot could be a problem.

Thanks I would really appreciate.

Ladismith Airfield.jpg

Ladismith on Sim.jpg

Found the India Challenge, Goa to Hubli-Dharwad, will fly it now in a C208 as one of the other members did. Thanks.

The C208 a bit heavy, I did orbit befor the hole with a go-around, got in close over the edge... Crashed in the hole... I'll try it now with the Cessna 182. T/O at VAGO, 5000 ft.. speed up to X8 0r 16 to get to the hole and attempt VAHB again and if not make it, try again with a orbit in the hole! Very Good challenge! Thanks.

Awesome Challenge... I made it third time, 182S, just ran off the runway. I'm video capturing evaluating. Cessna 182, Stalling speed in landing config 35 KIAS... From the screenshot I was still too fast. I'll keep on trying and evaluating and video capture. I fly each time from VAGO. I'll post video when its perfect.

Screenshot Hole.jpg

Have you had a look at the Freeware South African scenery from Aeroworx?

You might just find what you are looking for.

We also using FS9 in our Shackleton and Impala sims, with modified Aeroworx scenery.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.. I'm real happy with FS9 and the trick to get the graphics 50% sharper is just not to run it in "original" full screen, Just Alt and Enter and make the small screen big. Easy. From there I also undock. I never had any hick-ups and it runs smooth in XP, 7 and 10. As far as FSX ...or others... I just want to fly the plane and not sit at the airport watching people and vehicles.

The fault on Hubli VAHB was fun and I landed it 4 times good. After evaluating... Its a long enough runway, Looking at the analysis... its almost a regular landing and don't let the cliffs fool you. Approach angle is still 45 degrees from a altitude of 2200 ft to "0". I'll upload a video once my internet data is replenished. I couldn't find any other videos on youtube about that. Will do a page on my blog about it.

Analysis... Watch the graph under the map.

Analysis VAHB.jpg

BTW, if you would like an interesting, though not realistic, flight there is a scenery glitch in Arkansas that creates a 15,000 ft deep pit with a waterfall down one side; it is large enough to fly down and land in, and FS9 models the air density down there (makes a helicopter descent quite laborious). Start from Glenn Winchester airport (2AR6) and fly south for about 6 miles. I've seen screenshots of someone purporting to fly in, land, and fly back out in a 737 ...I've only made the trip in ultralights and helicopters.

Thanks. I'll evaluate that flight tonight.

Hubli is very good to simulate skill flying with instruments. The easy way to land Hubli is to fly from VAGO to VAHB with a Caravan. Stall speed on the edge, 2200 ft and in the down apply reverse thrust and you configured for a landing on the runway.

Taking off from VAHB is getting interesting. If you want to... Taxi around the floor or basin... bundu bashing as we call it in Africa. After that see flight analysis. That shows how big your boundaries are.

Use the Skyhawk or 182. Fly a crosswind leg after take-off. Use your Turn coordinator, Altimeter, Flaps, throttle, aileron and rudder during flight.Flying with a yoke is easier than a joystick.

In the video I used the regular cockpit view as most fly like this. I suggest plugging that extra computer screen to your computer. Fly multi screen.

Now you get the best experience learning to fly, understanding circuit and instrument flying. The terminology and skill real pilots use and using instruments that is normally ignored by simulator pilots.

Enjoy this video.

https://youtu.be/gJyVOwdBkrk

A very nice and easy method to evaluate your own and someone else flight. Weight count total 100 in 10 fields gives an automatic percentage. I capture my flights and evaluate them afterwards with SWOT analysis, Strong points, Weak points, Opportunities and Threats. Here is a simple format to allocate points. The diagram is simple and needs no explanation.

Flight Evaluation.jpg

Sorry for Spelling errors... English not first language...

BTW, if you would like an interesting, though not realistic, flight there is a scenery glitch in Arkansas that creates a 15,000 ft deep pit with a waterfall down one side; it is large enough to fly down and land in, and FS9 models the air density down there (makes a helicopter descent quite laborious). Start from Glenn Winchester airport (2AR6) and fly south for about 6 miles. I've seen screenshots of someone purporting to fly in, land, and fly back out in a 737 ...I've only made the trip in ultralights and helicopters.

I looked at that and not my fancy to try it. The India hole is more doable and to my liking. I'll rather spend more time at VAHB... or other challenges.

This video tutorial on landing at VABH will help the FSX pilots as well as far as undocking for the best visible landscape. I know most fly with a single screen. I un-docked the screens to the nose line of the aircraft. Everything is visible with the maximum view. As far as this challenge... finish, completed got the T-shirt.

https://youtu.be/lEoYp6bZCJI

Hi,

Here is a good airport design tutorial by CountryFlyboy on Youtube.

I learned creating/editing airports with this tutorial.

Good luck.

Thanks for the link. Although its more about modifying a existent airport, I want to just lay down a runway at non existent runway at a location. I don't worry about buildings taxi ways and what what... Just to have a runway for... Ladismith. There are two places in SA with similar names Ladismith and Ladysmith making our mail a misery!

I was given a few links and guidelines to other add-on scenery that may include Ladismith but it wasn't available. Our airstrip was initially a private field and doesn't appear on Skyvector anyway.

Next week I'll start building my simulator, but will start with the screen first. Then the air-plain console. The 16: 9 aspect ratio in FS9 project very well without a enormous horizontal stretching. The following two screenshots will show my windscreen and the third my instrument panel in relation to my screen and note the position of the instrument console in relation to the windscreen area.

George FAGG 16 to 9.jpg

Both Screenshots fits one pic.

Comparrison.jpg

I want to share my story… my love for flying.

I was still a kid, had aeroplanes all over my bedroom. My birthday gift was at the time a flight around Cape Town in the brand new 747 Combi, Swartberg, at the time. SAA got 3 Combi’s at the time, Swarberg, Drakensberg and Helderberg. South Africa was deeply sanctioned by the whole world. Only the East, Britain, and Russia had precipical agreements with South Africa.

The main video on my youtube channel (fiat300pct) is me boarding the Swartberg in the 70’s. For you guy’s that watched Mayday air disaster would know the story of the Helderberg that went down off the coast of Mauritius. In 1983 I took as a 17 year old my first private pilot licence classes. I finished High school in the same year and was called up for compulsory military service.

The air force was full and I was send to Anti Aircraft Regiment and became a radar operator on the Swiss made LPD 20 systems. Aircraft recognition was the main subject. South Africa was at war… The South African bush war, which is known as the Country of Namibia these days. I served in sector 10.

After that I never pursued flying again and found myself in the trucking industry. A near fatal truck accident in a notorious mountain pass landed me in hospital for nine months.

I was given a recovery wish… and I wanted to fly. Well, since the real thing wasn’t an option anymore, I was given the original FS9 pack that I still have today. During recovery I flew around the world in my virtual DC3. I got involved in a sim flying group and got to meet real pilots, real planes and real flights.

Now my passion woke up…. I want to fly again… complete that bucket list…

South Africa produced awesome pilots in the world… Google around for a SAA 747 Low flying at a air show in France… and watch my most precious video… a very small me and a awesome 747 low flight around Cape Town.

I love and miss you dad... I will never forget you!

After a whole night... Make runways is in the Scenery folder...in FS9... Its a lot of different programs and downloads that must be placed together and the instructions isn't very clear.

Onother program.jpg

I still got nowhere to open any window as given by the screenshots in the instructions.

Don't bother to contact the given e-mail in the files. He just answered to to seek help at the FS software developers forum. I'll only try today to figure out this hieroglyphics and then officially give up. If there was only a tutorial how to prepare your PC... to get to the point where you have everything set-up correctly... then go to tutorial videos on how to do stuff...

Archived