Overclocking the computer

Timberleaf

I am sure to those who have experience in this matter that my question will seem simple, basic, or unnecessary. Forgive my ignorance. I have been successful overclocking my desktop from the standard out-of-the-box from 2.8g to 3.6g. It can go higher, still. But, I have not had success with the settings to make it stable over 3.6g. Is there a guide to overclocking?

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

There are many sites devoted to overclocking, such as http://www.overclock.net/; but a major consideration is heat, you may be well within the OC range of your cpu but if you are not dissipating the extra heat, which mounts quickly, you will reach thermal shutdown long before max clock speeds (trying to OC a laptop is an exercise in futility, most can barely handle the heat of normal CPU operation). Also the rest of the system must be compatible, if bus speeds and RAM timing cannot keep up you're wasting your time.

Hi...

Personally - a high CPU clock speed - is the best bang for your buck performance wise in FS... I’m not a constant tweaker - just a set it and forget it kind of guy... As mentioned - it’s all about heat dissipation - I’ve used Noctua air coolers over the last couple builds to keep it simple and have had excellent results... When researching - Noctua offered results comparable with a good liquid cooling system in independent reviews... My 2700K Sandy has been running at 4.7Ghz for the last five years... There is a massive difference in performance from before and after the OC... Gigabyte makes the OC very simple - I only had to change a single setting in the BiOS...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

Archived