Something is afoot

silverheels2

Hi all:

Has anyone ever seen this before? I think an add-on is messing with my Autogen. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. The dialogue box occurs while FSX is loading and something is changing 5 files, including Default, in my Autogen folder. Never saw this before.

Thoughts

Thank you

Rick

autogen2.jpg

Well, I made some progress. It looks like the add on is the Nantucket scenery from iBlueYonder. Apparently this add on, which is really nice, changes files in the Autogen folder. Then some other add on changes them to something else, or maybe FSX restores them. So that whenever FSX starts there is apparently a war among these add ons to see who rules the roost.

Regardless, this really makes me angry. These developers who screw around with files inside the root directory for FSX with no regard for the baseline sim or future sim changes, and don't bother to tell us, should be reprimanded for this behavior. So long as their title works, screw everyone else. Well, my next move is to uninstall Nantucket and demand a refund. It's beautiful scenery but unethically developed and sold to us. Then I'll look for any other add ons doing the same thing. Really pisses me off.

Any other thoughts?

Here's some thoughts.

Many addons overwrite default files. Nothing wrong with that.

Often the installers make backups of the defaults, and restore then when the addon is uninstalled later.

In this case defaults are restored after closing fs. Fine also.

You should have made a backup of the fs folder immediately after plain fsx was installed. If you did not, better luck next time.

If you are using two incompatible addons (and I doubt you are) then that's no reason for a refund.

Is there actually any issue with the visible scenery? I didn't think so.

Maybe switch from coffee to herbal tea.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only thing happening is the addon is adding custom autogen definitions that will only be used by that addon. Nothing else is being affected and the changes made allow you to have both better scenery and good performance.

So calm down and enjoy your sim.

That addon is from a very reputable creator, Bill Womack, who would be happy to answer any questions you have for him, I am sure.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Ok, you guys are right. I'll calm down. But don't you think there is an issue here? That dialogue box appears every time I start FSX. It tells me to restart FSX or some unknown sceneries may not display correctly. So it's an endless do loop. It sure looks to me like some add ons are in conflict. I also recently added two Orbx airports. KBHB and KJAC. I run UTX and GEX. No Orbx regions. This is FSX Gold I think it's called.

Any further thoughts?

Greetings All,

. It sure looks to me like some add ons are in conflict. I also recently added two Orbx airports. KBHB and KJAC. I run UTX and GEX. No Orbx regions. This is FSX Gold I think it's called.

Any further thoughts?

Silverheel2, if I read your post correctly, you have NO Orbx Regions, just the two airports. THAT is most likely your problem. KBHB REQUIRES FTX Global Base and KJAC REQUIRES the NA Central Rockies Region. Without those, you will probably be missing the Orbx Library files that contain the custom buildings and custom Auto-Gen built into each. And yes, the website clearly states the prerequisite requirements at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Brian

Greetings All,

Silverheel2, if I read your post correctly, you have NO Orbx Regions, just the two airports. THAT is most likely your problem. KBHB REQUIRES FTX Global Base and KJAC REQUIRES the NA Central Rockies Region. Without those, you will probably be missing the Orbx Library files that contain the custom buildings and custom Auto-Gen built into each. And yes, the website clearly states the prerequisite requirements at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Brian

Hi Brian:

Yes I was aware of the requirements for the Orbx sceneries. I do have Central installed and use that for the downloads. I also have the FTX libraries installed. I had read some posts concerning the use of the Orbx airports and the consensus seemed to be that there may be some artifacts absent the Orbx regions but generally they work OK with UTX and GEX. That has been my experience. With BHB the sceneries fit pretty well and just a couple of artifacts. I also understand that there may be a fix on the Orbx forum for those. I've only been into JAC once and really didn't see any artifacts, but it's winter. Today I reinstalled JAC and BHB and watched Autogen default and several of the other files in the Autogen folder go through the changes. It seems like the add ons modify the files for their particular needs but do not (hopefullY) affect the rest of the world. Maybe not. Today I will try uninstalling ACK and reinstall on top of the Orbx stuff. Maybe the conflict can be affected.

Thanks for your words.

Rick

The conflict may be between UTX and GEX. Check the GEX interface/config tool and see if you have enabled the settings - there are specific options that have to be ticked so that they work together correctly.

Another possibility is the order in which they and the other products are listed in the Priority listing - it may be that product A needs to be above or below Product B to work correctly. It has to be remembered that when you install a product it is usually assigned the P1 slot in the listing (i.e. at the top of the list when viewed in the Scenery setting page). Ideally, scenery that has a wide effect such as Terrain or Ground Mesh (such as UTX/GEX) should be as low down the list at possible BUT ABOVE the default FSX scenery entries.

Even a simple addon of a single airport can cause issues, especially if it has its onw 'landclass' file/folder. For example, I use several FS2004 sceneries in FSX that have both an Airport folder and a Landclass folder - the landclass folder must be below the Airport folder for the scenery to work correctly, if placed above the airport footprint 'area' is displayed but the airport 'fixtures' (runway, taxiways, aprons, buildings etc) don't display.

I can't help you with the ordering of the UTX/GEX as I only have GEX installed.

Regards

Brian

Hi all:

Well, I finally figured it out and you guys were exactly correct. Orbx isn't kidding about the requirement for their other sceneries. After uninstalling the KBHB and KJAC sceneries, the library, and Central, I was still unable to recover my scenery display. All blurs. It turns out that Central brings with it an executable called ObjectFlowModule which wanted to run each time FSX loads. Don't know what it was doing. Even after the Orbx sceneries were uninstalled. Once I strangled that canary my FSX returned back to normal. So now I have learned my lesson.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Archived