Real pilot, want to train procedures - what is the best flight sim?

euro_flyer

Hello all,

first post.....

I am a real pilot, currently doing my instrument rating on EASA rules. I have a real plane, a Beechcraft Bonanza, and an iMac. I reckon a lot of pilots are also into sim, and I want to do that now. Although my flight school does have an official flight simulator with a cabin and all, I still want to train procedures at home - that is predominately navigation, i.e. departures and approaches down to the airfield with ILS and also GPS-based.

Now my question is, what flight sim do you recommend?

I have already downloaded and installed trizillions of GB of x-plane and downloaded the F33A Bonanza model (I believe by Carenado) but the optics were terrible, it was terribly distorted and it didn't work.

I am a bit reluctant to buy an extra Microsoft computer; I could work with a bootcamp or parallels, since I don't really need the most fancy graphics.

What I really need, is the cockpit to be as close to my cockpit as possible; that is the usual six pack instruments, a Garmin GNS530, a King KFC150 Autopilot..... I know, back in the day, Microsoft had a really good FS, but that's not being offered anymore, is it?

What do you recommend as a software?

Thanks for help,

Eric

I will recommend 2 Simulations.

1. https://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/05/114192/

2. http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

I would bet either of these will meet your requirements.

P.S. Welcome aboard!:D

Beechcraft Bonanza V-tail P35

Bonanza.JPG

Bonanza1.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I will recommend 2 Simulations.

1. https://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/05/114192/

2. http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

I would bet either of these will meet your requirements.

P.S. Welcome aboard!:D

Super, and thank you :) So, can I run that on a Mac or do I have to switch to MS ? I'm just reluctant to put another machine on my desk at home... not much space :D

The only native Mac options are X-Plane and Flightgear. Did you ask about your issues in the X-Plane forum?

Otherwise all other options are going to require running Windows. This could be using Bootcamp (best performance) or VM on your Mac. After that the only option is another Windows machine.

Hey Zippy,

As I was looking at that second screenie I was thinking that it HAD to be the Grand Master himself flying ... but then I noticed that there wasn't any water in the shot. That all being said other than no water it looks pretty normal to me. That's pretty much the view I have especially when on a short final.

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Hey Zippy,

As I was looking at that second screenie I was thinking that it HAD to be the Grand Master himself flying ... but then I noticed that there wasn't any water in the shot. That all being said other than no water it looks pretty normal to me. That's pretty much the view I have especially when on a short final.

The only near by water to LO8 is the Salton Sea about 30 miles away.

Super, and thank you :) So, can I run that on a Mac or do I have to switch to MS ? I'm just reluctant to put another machine on my desk at home... not much space :D

As Loki has already mentioned, you will need to bootcamp Windows onto your Mac.

Ok, thank you a lot! What about the avionics - which of the sims offers the most realistic airplanes, in terms of avionics? As in, can I actually use the Garmin GNS430 in the panel and load approaches, can I use the HSI, CDI, Autopilot?

It doesn't necessarlly need to be Bonanza, a Cessna 172 will do just fine. Most important is being able to use it like the real thing...

And forgive me one question - how long do I have to suffer this "your post will be reviewed by a Moderator before being published" BS?

:mad:

Usually it takes a few posts, so don't be too discouraged. Most all of the default models have good avionics in them. May be better equipment in some of the freeware 3rd party addons. I have a free version of the C-47 that has the Garmin 430 and 530 in it. These can also be used in other aircraft.

Garmin.JPG

This is like a lot of "which is the best..." questions we get in these forum. There's as many different answers as there are people answering, it seems.

Good luck, though. I hope you get enough answers that you can make a decision.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

It's like Pat said, there are too many a variables for anyone to give a definitive answer. Personally, I use FSX SE on my little laptop. It works for me. Recently, I've been playing with installing different panels in the aircraft I like to fly. There's a learning curve with it all. Hope it all works out for you.

Merry Christmas

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Archived