Question,,,

KCD

Is there a way to successfully import FSX gauges into an FS9 panel, or to import an FSX panel into an FS9 aircraft?
One way of testing it would be to "alias" the full panel. You would then see if any if the gauges don't show correctly.

I am unsure if html gauges work in fs9 so it would depend on which aircraft's panel you wish to use.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Interesting suggestion, Stinger, but when I tried it, the aircraft disappeared from the airplane list. It would appear that you cannot alias an FSX panel to an FS9 aircraft, even though the Fs9 model flies perfectly in "X". Or, maybe I did something wrong?

Interesting suggestion, Stinger, but when I tried it, the aircraft disappeared from the airplane list. It would appear that you cannot alias an FSX panel to an FS9 aircraft, even though the Fs9 model flies perfectly in "X". Or, maybe I did something wrong?

No, I'm afraid in won't work. FS9 works in FSX but not the other way around.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

To my simple mind, the problem might be that original gauges in FS9 are .gau format, whereas in FSX they are .dll. If you can find equivalent .xml gauges from other models then that might work because .xml will work in both FS9 & FSX, but you might need to create separate folders in you particular aircraft, & ensure that the panel.cfg reflects this new folder.

Keith

To my simple mind, the problem might be that original gauges in FS9 are .gau format, whereas in FSX they are .dll. If you can find equivalent .xml gauges from other models then that might work because .xml will work in both FS9 & FSX, but you might need to create separate folders in you particular aircraft, & ensure that the panel.cfg reflects this new folder.

Keith

.Xml Thats what i meant ! Lol. (Not html)

Grey matter disintegrating!

You missed it Charlie, I want to import an FS9 plane (that flies well in "X") into FSX and either upgrade the existing 2D panel (usually one I made) by either aliasing an existing FSX panel, or lifting FSX gauges from the FSX files into the F9 panel that's already there but showing no gauges. Does that resolve the confusion? Can it be done in any way? I've cot some wonderful bitmaps I slaved over and hate to dump them if I can find a way to use them.

You missed it Charlie, I want to import an FS9 plane (that flies well in "X") into FSX and either upgrade the existing 2D panel (usually one I made) by either aliasing an existing FSX panel, or lifting FSX gauges from the FSX files into the F9 panel that's already there but showing no gauges. Does that resolve the confusion? Can it be done in any way? I've cot some wonderful bitmaps I slaved over and hate to dump them if I can find a way to use them.

Sorry, totally flamed out on what forum you asked this in. You should be able to use an FSX panel in the FS9 aircraft as long as you are flying in FSX. Not too sure about adding FSX gauges to your FS9 bitmaps.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Its probably the 3d panel in the fsx aircraft

that you are aliasing to that is messing things up because that will be looking for part of the actual 3d model of the aircraft.

If you used a panel editor program you would be able to import any gauges that are in the .gau format i should think.

Not sure it's worth the effort when there is probably an fsx equivalent of your aircraft to download somewhere.

Stinger

Just clearing some things up that were said a few posts ago.

if .xml files are written "fsx-style" they will only work in fsx.

if .xml gauges are written "fs9-style" they work in both fs9 and fsX.

if they are written "fs98 or earlier"-style, they do not work in FSX, but do in fs9.

It simply depends on how the .xml is written. Not on the filetype. All .xml.

The .xml gauges files are usually inside a contained like the well known .Cab file.

The .Cab file can contain multiple .xml files, and also contains the Artwork for the Gauges.

.gau files are also containers, like .cab files. With the difference that you can't extract .gau files. The .gau files contain

one or multiple .xml files.

And depending on how those .xml files are writen they work in FS9, or in both FS9 and FSX.

(The .gau files contain the images for the gauges as well.)

So, .gau files do not only work in FS9. It depends on the .xml inside.

Example of .gau files that work in fsx:

I have the FDSFX announcements panel installed in FSX. Uses many .gau files, and they work fine in FSX.

Another one:

dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau

A gauge file by Doug Dawson. Makes all kinds of gauges possible that play audio.

A gauge that uses dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau is the Altitude alerter gauge (AltitudeAlerter2.xml). This plays a warning sound when reaching an altitude you set.

There is a version of dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau for FS2004 as well.

I'm not sure, but I think that one is: dsd_xml_sound3.gau (Again, not sure of that filename.)

In FSX that one does not work.

-----------------------------------------

I have to add a "maybe"...

I said: ".gau files are simply cablinets that contain .xml gauges". I am not sure they contain .xml's. I never created a .gau file. So I don't

know if there are really .xml's inside. The could be some other filetype. But in effect, they function as if that is how they are made.

You can see that For example the line for the .gau file dsd_fsx_xml_sound is:

gauge79=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound, 0, 255, 1, 1, ./Gauges/AltAlerterGau_2/AltAlert_sound.ini

=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound,

means that inside the container: dsd_fsx_xml.sound.gau

must be some kind of gauge named: Sound

(I assume Sound.xml, but not sure of .xml.)

The line/gauge here works together with an .ini file. The .ini file for the AltAlerter.

Then for the AltAlert gauge, this following line is also needed:

gauge78=AltAlerterGau_2!AltitudeAlerter2, 60, 250, 64, 24,

(in the same panel. This gauge 78 places the small Window to set the target altitude for the alert.)

-----------------

-----------------

.dll files.... no idea.

(Though somehow I doubt that there are zero .dll files that work in FS9.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That was one of the most informative responses to any question I've ever asked! Thank you for the thorough and complete explanation. It helps to know what you are dealing with as you try to resolve issues. Is there a way to tell what *.xml will work where?

It would take a little far to explain gauge editing and development.

You have a panel with g a few gauges that don't work in fsx. They used to work in FS9 you say, so they are probably "fs98 or earlier".

Three things you can do.

You can alias an fsx panel.

If that doesn't work, you did something wrong.

You can also replace the panel with an fsx panel.

Just replace the panel folder. Or place the new panel folder in and nam it for example panel.new

Then change the aircraft.cfg sections to:

panel=new

You can also use the existing panel. You will have to replace some gauges.

Find the ones that don't work. Place // in front of those lines to knock them out.

THen inert a new gauge that does work. For example:

//gauge04=oldvswindow!vswindow, 205,340,120,120

gauge04=newworkingVSwindow!fsxvswindow, 205,340,120,120

gauge05=

etc

Same coordinates: , 205,340

and same gauge size: ,120,120

should generally work.

Small adjustments will be needed, as sometimes a gauge is a bit larger then what you can actually see of it.

What you should do though. Is approach FSX as a different game.

If you want everthing you had in fs9 now in fsx. Keep playing fs9 instead.

If you want to play fsx, start from the beginning.

If you feel like you're too old for all that, and want eveything to work perfectly right away, well, that's not how it works.

You will need some enthousiasm, drive, and energy, to get fsx the way you want.

Just like back then you needed all that for fs9.

Back then you had that drive.

Flying was new, and exiting. And you did not mind putting in a few hours/days to get something working.

If you don't have that drive anymore...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to toss my two pfennigs in the ring, if I may be so bold: .gau files are most certainly not a different form of CAB file, nor do they contain .xml files. They are written in C++, and thus are self-contained. They are similar to .exe files, or .dll files.

.XML files are essentially just .txt files written using specific words and phraseology. .gau files are written with a text editor, again, using specific words and phraseology, BUT they are then compiled. Just like an .exe or .dll file. They include libraries, headers, and so on, like an .exe.

For a great discussion of the differences, and similarities, try glancing through THIS THREAD over on the FSDeveloper forums. VERY informative.

So .gau and .xml or CAB files are two entirely different animals, basically.

Have fun gang!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived