Dambusters 75 and Prepar3D

It's 75 years ago that the Dambusters attacked the Ruhr dams, and finally this year a 64bit successor of Flight Simulator FSX has arrived with Prepar3D V4. I bought a new computer and a copy of Prepar3D v4.1 Professional. Let's see how the dams look like in Prepar3D, with standard scenery set to maximum (real-life pictures from here).

First to the Mohne reservoir and the Mohne dam;

mohne-see-1.jpg

Mohne reservoir in real-life

mohne-see-2.jpg

Mohne reservoir in Prepar3D

mohne-dam-1.jpg

Mohne dam in real-life

mohne-dam-2.jpg

Mohne dam in Prepar3D

It looks like something is missing. Next to the Eder reservoir and the Eder dam;

eder-see-1.jpg

Eder reservoir in real-life

eder-see-2.jpg

Eder reservoir in Prepar3D

Recognizable. Let's move closer to the dam.

eder-dam-1.jpg

Eder dam in real-life

eder-dam-2.jpg

Eder dam in Prepar3D

It's not there. Finally, let's check the Sorpe reservoir

sorpe-see-1.jpg

Sorpe reservoir seen from the north in real-life

sorpe-see-2.jpg

Sorpe reservoir in Prepar3D

sorpe-dam-1.jpg

Sorpe dam in real-life

sorpe-dam-2.jpg

Sorpe dam in Prepar3D

The earth dam is there (but of course the attack on that dam failed). The standard scenery is obviously somewhat meager in this part of the world. So far the 75 years anniversay of the Dambusters in Prepar3D.

To compare with FSX in combination with Ultimate Terrain v1.5, I have added screenshots from about the same point of view for this upcoming 75 anniversary.

mohne-see-3.jpg

Mohne reservoir in FSX/UTv1

mohne-dam-3.jpg

Mohne dam in FSX/UTv1

eder-see-3.jpg

Eder reservoir in FSX/UTv1

eder-dam-3.jpg

Eder dam in FSX/UTv1

sorpe-see-3.jpg

Sorpe reservoir in FSX/UTv1

sorpe-dam-3.jpg

Sorpe dam in FSX/UTv1

(The real-world pictures in the P3D post are taken from here)

I have now played around a bit with Prepar3D, and I saw that the standard planes are still the same standard planes as over a decade ago in FSX, with the same bugs (e.g. the auto-pilot error one must cycle in order to activate the heading). I noticed a bug in the B36 that I cannot switch to the moving map on the GNS430. I have not detected any of the fancy animations yet that I saw in the Youtube videos. Perhaps these are all add-ons?

The performance of P3D v4.1 on my new computer is great. With all settings set to maximum, it still runs very smooth.

I saw a video on Youtube of a new simulator; Aerofly FS 2. This simulator looks very promising. In this version the world is limited to the West of the USA and Switzerland, but it may develop in an interesting simulator (for me, that means western Europe included).

Archived