Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Goodbye FSX - thanks to Window 10

Rupert,

This thread was started by Joned.

Amberdog, various A/V programs have issues with AS16, I have to run AS16 in Win 8 compatibility mode because of AVG. And I had to do the web connect exemption also.

Jorgen

Blog Entries

I agree, Windows 10 does suck, IMO! I have 4 machines running it. Two work fine, the other two, unless I use them every 2 days, they crash and die, and a hard re-boot is the only way to get them running again. Thinking very seriously about going back to XP, which IMO is the best version of windoze yet and still.
    Darrell

Here is the "Event" that may be causing Windows 10 to crash.

Windows is aware of the problem that is happening.

With the next update it may be resolved.

MFCO80.DLL

Symptoms

You install a product that updates the Mfc80.dll module or the Mfc80u.dll module on the computer from version 8.0.50727.870 to version 8.0.50727.3078. For example, you install Microsoft SQL Server 2008. When you run an application that is built with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, an access violation occurs in the Mfc80.dll module or in the Mfc80u.dll module. And, the application crashes.

Note This problem applies to many other applications, including applications that are used on Windows 7.
    Cause

This problem occurs because the two versions are incompatible.

From my event log:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 12/9/2017 22:09:28
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: DESKTOP-2T98K66
    Description:
    Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
    Faulting module name: MFC80.DLL, version: 8.0.50727.6195, time stamp: 0x4dcdeca2
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x0005a6f1
    Faulting process id: 0x285c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d37161dd18b42d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_cbf5e994470a1a8f\MFC80.DLL
    Report Id: 4b50d187-1d3f-4951-9e07-4ec1f6cb5cbc
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-12-10T04:09:28.118617800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>717</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-2T98K66</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>
    <Data>46fadb14</Data>
    <Data>MFC80.DLL</Data>
    <Data>8.0.50727.6195</Data>
    <Data>4dcdeca2</Data>
    <Data>c000041d</Data>
    <Data>0005a6f1</Data>
    <Data>285c</Data>
    <Data>01d37161dd18b42d</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_cbf5e994470a1a8f\MFC80.DLL</Data>
    <Data>4b50d187-1d3f-4951-9e07-4ec1f6cb5cbc</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-mfc80u-dll-mo

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709

Successfully installed on ‎12/‎7/‎2017

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...tus&ws=support
    Last edited by SAM Hunter; 12-10-2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: ADDED SUPOPRT PAGE VIRTUAL AGENT
    "Remember, All you have to do is ask."

4. Default

ok, heres the deal about this overall misunderstanding about Windows and the conflicts with FSX GOLD EDITION. There are a few ways around this, but first, whether you have conflicts with anything or not, you should never allow any website access to do downloads without your inspection of the files and contents. I be in touch with Microsoft of and on for twenty years, and since 2007 with the overall release of the FSX program and then the GOLD EDITION its been more than 20 to 30 times a year over the phone and text well over a few hundred. You should go into your system as an administrator and checkoff the auto update, and recieve updates to see before downloading as about 5 years ago i had to put out an alert that malware in files as MS Updates were released into computers worldwide. Now onto the issue at hand, I had Win 7 and the GOLD installed since 2007, over 3 million files, Im using a dual core, 3 gig, and im oversped and adjusted my FSX cfg. file, I chose 2048, unless i want more and i boost it up to 4068. I run 100 on all aircraft and all settings on high. I right click and COMPRESS all files and subfiles on the entire NSFSXA program, this makes space on disc and additional ram, them I compress all C:x86) the same way again saving space. Now what i did to go over to Win 10, i contacted Microsoft, and i was given a Win 10 assist helper, this allows me to get win 10 without losing any files whatsoever, if you install win 10 any other way you lose everything. You must have the win 10 on your toolbar and allow the download assistant bring the 10 program in and install it, thus there are no issues with win 10 and conflicts with the Flightsim program. Let it be noted that Microsoft is very aware of the win 10 update issue and the malware issues and thats the reason the business version isnt being accepted the MS thought it would be because the businesses cannot trust a program that has the bugs. So, what some have noticed in win 10 is there isnt a heading for the downloads of updates and yet on some you can find it, another issue is with the snooping regards to the edge toolbar and its impending attempt to analyze everything on and in the computer, i personally switched out to GOOGLE newest release. If anyone has an android cellphone youll notice the relationship in security and google along with android making a team effort on security. I had to go to the MS site to get the update add on app for the computer but i still dont allow it to update until i see what its planning on usuing it for, so i copy the KB id number and i go to MS site and research it. To note, if you dont go about the first option i gave with the download assist and you already have win 10 and issues i will tell you that if you use the MS disc for MSFS 10 you will lose all of youre addons in file order and you will have to install again, and alot of you jpgs and some of youre files will be rerouted to the ozone and you wont recover them. Another issue with the EDge toolbar is conflict, especially with windows defender., and if thats the issue youll have to have the security program installed that youve purchased or downloaded removed or turn off your Defender which isnt difficult . If you have questions about the system tweaking send out a message here and ill do a write up on how to tune your computer no matter what size, so you can reach the full potential of the FSX program. Theres too many thinking FSX is gone, it hasnt even begun to reach its potential, they com and they go add ons , new programs, ive seen it in the past, sturmoviks still out there, I saw what happened with tac pac. Look theres plenty of dynamite combat and commercial flight sims, and it was the private designers and creators that took it to the point it was to where we exist now. Look at the fsx program with cartoon graphics and the transition pain in the butt fs9 time of transition , alot of simmers left and never came back, some did stay. The steam program? its ok, but when youve created a world in fsx foe over 10 years and all of the changes and hairpulling , its hard to give up a good thing, millions of downloads and more to come, and thanks to sites like FLIGHTSIM we have whatever we want or mention it and before long its here. There are plenty of sites, freeware and payware. stick to your guns.Have a safe flight and keep the shiny side up. Semper Fidelis
    Last edited by archangelmj12; 04-13-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Archangelmj12,

1. The thread is a bit old, and

2. Your posting is totally unreadable, due to the non-usage of paragraphs.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by archangelmj12 View Post
    another issue is with the snooping regards to the edge toolbar and its impending attempt to analyze everything on and in the computer, i personally switched out to GOOGLE newest release.
    You're worried about Edge snooping and you change to a Google product???? Really?

If you are worried about Google and other's snooping read a bok called "future Crimes" by Marc Goodman. It will lay all your fears to rest. If you use a PC, an Alexa, a phone, or whastever, they know more about you than you know about you and other than crawling into a hole then pulling the hole in, you'll never change it now.
    Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Hi

I don't understand why so many people have issues with Windows 10, its almost like
    there is some "windows 10 hypochondria" going on here. I have been using windows 10
    for 3 years now, I have FS 2004, FSX and FSX-SE installed, and have been running all
    of them, plus the usual add ons, without any problems

I tuned my Windows 10 using the principles outlined in Nick Needhams, excellent Windows
    7 install procedure, including cleaning out the crap that comes with any windows install,
    disabling Cortana, adjusting the virtual memory allocation, setting the page file system,
    and all the other little bits that are outlined in the procedure.

I have installed the MS group policy editor and switched off automatic updates, I disabled
    windows defender by installing Avast antivirus software, I followed the instructions in the
    bible to the letter, I run everything from Alabeo GA to PMDG heavies, ORBX scenery,
    FS Open, and many detailed airport sceneries, I have my frame rate locked at 25 and apart
    from a few stutters in busy areas, it all runs fine, no VAS, no BSD, no waiting for ages for
    things to load, it just works

I only carry out an update once I have read its purpose, and checked what its impact may be,
    and do I actually bloody need it. As far as security goes, IMHO, most of these updates are just
    trying to fix something that, for the average user, is totally unnecessary. I run a decent antivirus
    and run a Malwarebytes check once a month, and have never had a virus or any other malware.

I understand that it is very easy to led by the nose into conforming to what these corporations tell
    us is the thing to do, after all, they are the experts, but invariably the only people it benefits is them,
    not us! I know some people have issues with Microsoft Windows, going back to XP and beyond, I don't
    know why, I have been using FS since 2004, and have never had problems, but then again, I am not a
    sheep and am quite happy to plough my own furrow, I have learnt by my own mistakes, but the result
    is that I now have a system that runs FS as I need it too, without any issues at all.

I am aware there is no magic bullet to running FS, but to keep blaming the OS is missing the point, for
    sure FS is not the most up to date programme, but it will run fine on modern OS, I cant be the only person
    that has a good, stable system that just works as it was designed too. Perhaps it may be time to look at
    other areas, instead of automatically jumping on the bandwagon and blaming Microsoft, just look at the
    bigger picture and be prepared take a few risks and try something different, be a wolf not a sheep

I have included the link to Nick Needhams bible below, it is worth a look, and if you decide to give it a go,
    follow it to the letter, do not miss anything, it has always worked for me. One other thing I found out many
    years ago is, if you have an empty texture folder in your add-on scenery folder, delete it, apparently FS will
    look in this folder constantly when its running, and will not let it go, which I am told eats up memory.

Sorry if this seems a bit of a rant, but so many people seem to waste time blaming the OS, when perhaps
    its not always the culprit

cheers

https://www.simforums.com/forums/the...opic46211.html

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HPR7 mad! View Post
    Sorry if this seems a bit of a rant, but so many people seem to waste time blaming the OS, when perhaps
    its not always the culprit
    The problem with Win 10 success can greatly vary depending on hardware configuration especially running older games. Many old games and software simply will not work period, that will happily work on any other OS. FS appears to generally run fine for many people. For those with problems, you can never rule out Win 10 as the source of the problem. Hardware can make a huge difference using Win 10 and success will vary user to user.
    Mark Daniels

Blog Entries

My dislike of Win 10 comes not from the OS but the Attitude of M/S. I built this dual boot system in 2015 with the express purpose of continuing with a solid Win7 OS while allowing myself to 'ease' into Win10 (I did much the same with the XP to W7 transition) - one day while 'testing' W7, I realized I hadn't been back to XP in over a month. Now the next step is starting to follow the same pattern: I took W10 down off the shelf, dusted it off, allowed all those missing months of updates, updated apps and utilities, SkyrimSE and Star Citizen, started flying FSX SE and P3D 3.3 regularly and, much as it 'pains me' to say it, I don't think I'm missing W7 at all. I built both OS's following Nick's guidelines and both run all my games without issue. It's been years since my last OOM (probably in XP with its 4G of Ram). Why so many people have such off-the-wall problems has been a great mystery to me over the years. I hope I have one more self-built machine in me before I turn 80 and have to give up playin' with toys... I guess I'd better make it a good one!

just my 2¢ worth

Loyd
    Hooked since FS4... now flying:
    self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;
    quiet, fast and cool running.
    Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;
    Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games
    A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3