Goodbye FSX - thanks to Window 10

Joned

I am so gutted ! For years I have enjoyed a great hobby and pastime, invested a lot of money with add on's etc including ORBX sceneries. Now the latest Windows 10 upgrade has put a stop to all that.

FSX opens OK, but any command from the menu produces the "An unsupported operation was attempted" followed by program shut down.

It appears that unless you are computer savvie and can try lots of tweaking etc you are stuffed. I have found no Windows announcement offering a patch but lots of on line disgruntled ex FSX users like myself.

Why mention it here ? Well surely, this will impact on not only FSX sales but add on sales as well..no simulator, no need for add ons !

Its been great, really great, is it really all over ?

Microsoft really sucks !

Unless someone knows something I don't..

Regards all..

Make friends with Jorgen and Jim! They swear Windows 10 has never given them an issue and also makes coffee in the morning and cooks dinner for them at night. Me, I'm sticking with XP until Hell freezes over!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I can't believe it was just one update for Windows 10 that broke your FSX. I mean, there are a lot of FSX-users running Windows 10 too, most likely up-to-date (as there is no other option :rolleyes:).

Can you pinpoint it down to one specific update when FSX decided to go full-bug-mode? Maybe one can find a solution to fix your problem.

I had the boxed version of FSX (FSX Deluxe + Acceleration and all of its patches, if there were any) and now FSX Steam Edition running on my new PC (bought it in December 2015), which had Windows 10 pre-installed as its OS. So far, with every big or tiny update FSX still runs like a charm, along with all meshes, sceneries, planes etc..

Only thing I can tell is that FS2002/FS2004 had some issues on my machine, but there were existing fixes that one could find on the internet (such as compatibility mode).

🛫 Flying with FSX:SE 🛬

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz // 32GB RAM // RTX 3070Ti // 1TB + 2x 2TB SSDs // 1x 8TB & 2x 4TB HDDs

peregrine-simulations.jimdo.com

I can attest to the FACT that Windows 10 IN ITSELF does not cause any FSX issues.

If it did, I would not be able to run FSX under said operating system. And my FSX installation is pretty big, complex and non-standard, so if there really was a problem, I would have it, and I don't! End of story.

So, there must be SOMETHING ELSEâ„¢ going on with the systems where we hear about problems. But, of course, it's much easier to blame Windows 10 instead of doing some troubleshooting, reading up on the various threads here on Flightsim and elsewhere and so on.

For starters, I would like to invite the OP to post his FSX.CFG file here, so we can see what we can do with it. Hardware specs would also help.

I am assuming to begin with that the OP's system otherwise is stable and functioning OK. (If not, then all bets are off!!!)

Don't give up, get EVEN!

And Win 10 making me dinner at night is just a tad of exaggeration, at least it's Curries are horrible....

Jorgen

Edited by jorgen.s.andersen

I can attest to the FACT that Windows 10 IN ITSELF does not cause any FSX issues.

A brave statement.

I have a lengthy post rolling at ORBX forum. The windows 1709 update problem is very real and common amongst FSX-S and P3D users.

One such post follows....

I suggest you pop over to AVSim and check out the comments there, there are 2 threads running, about 180 comments last I counted.

Things I gleaned from the threads,

The fix came out on Tuesday the 5th., didn't work ! KB4051963

Not all computers are effected.

Some users of P3D v4 have the same problems once they install 3rd Party addons, Scenery and Aircraft. For PMDG, it has been a disaster in FSX and P3D V3 & 4, and have been in contact with Microsoft.

In Windows 10 home OS Deferral of update 1709 only lasts 30 days, then it is installed if you like it or not.

Can only defer in Windows 10 Pro, not possible in Windows 10 Home.

Roll back is only possible with Windows 10 Pro.

=================================

I'm glad that you have such faith in FSX and are experiencing no problems, but not very helpful.

A brave statement.

I have a lengthy post rolling at ORBX forum. The windows 1709 update problem is very real and common amongst FSX-S and P3D users.

One such post follows....

I suggest you pop over to AVSim and check out the comments there, there are 2 threads running, about 180 comments last I counted.

In Windows 10 home OS Deferral of update 1709 only lasts 30 days, then it is installed if you like it or not.

Can only defer in Windows 10 Pro, not possible in Windows 10 Home.

Roll back is only possible with Windows 10 Pro.

=================================

Joned - If you know which update started the problems, can't you just go into Windows Update and uninstall that update? Sorry, if I seem naive, but I have Windows 7 (thank god), and I could do that, but I don't know anything about Windows 10. Just a thought. When mentioned Roll Back, I assume that to be the as "restore windows back to a previous time?"

Anyway, best of luck getting this all sorted out! It is a bummer, knowing something you enjoy, like all of us, might be gone!

Rick

Hi Downwind66.

There no roll back on Windows 10 home, and cannot uninstall the dreaded 1709 update - well its not within my capabilities anyway.

I just think its crazy a world wide corporation with zillions of dollars available for research and development, employing the brainiest of technicians mess up so frequently !

I'm self employed and know for a fact I could not survive running my business like they do.

Naïve I may be but I would have thought an upgrade would be designed to make things better - not worse !

Oh well, guess I'll take up golf..

Well, since I have Win 10 Home Single-Language I have to have 1709, which a quick look at my Windows specs confirmed, with a build number of 16299.64.

The only issue I have is this: when flying over a very dense piece of scenery that I have, namely New York Airports (both volumes) and City, all 3 from Drzewiecki Design, I hear a "pling" sound, which comes from FSUIPC and tells me I'm getting close to an OOM error. After I hear this "pling" a number of times, I then, if I hit Esc to end the flight, get "An unsupported operation was attempted", the flight continues and I have to reset the computer. I tend to believe that this error message comes from FSUIPC, since I don't have an issue with ending the flight using Esc over any other scenery and I don't hear any "pling" sounds anywhere else.

Simple, hard logic says that if FSX really has an issue, across the board, with running under Windows 10, I (and everyone else - no exceptions) would see the issue. I don't see any issue. Therefore, no conflict between FSX and Win 10.

In another thread here on Flightsim, I invited people to refute this piece of logic. No takers so far.

And I am confident enough in Win 10 to take on P3D. I have started my homework on that already.

Anyway, I'll gladly give you my way of running Windows updates, and cleaning up after them:

1. Run the Windows Update - nothing else running on the system. Reboot once updating is done.

2. When the system comes up after rebooting, use the "Free up disk space" in control panel to clean

up. When the first cleaning is done, and you get a button saying "Clean up system files", hit that

button to clean them up. When done, reboot.

3. Use the freeware Ccleaner to clean up the system. When done, Use Ccleaner's option to clean up

the registry. When that's done, reboot.

4. Use a freeware program from Eusing called "Free Registry Cleaner" to clean the registry further. If

you run on mechanical HDDs, get another freeware from Eusing called "Free Registry Defrag" and

defrag the registry. When done, reboot.

5. You're done!

I've been cleaning my system this way since Windows 8, and it does keep the system clean.

So, to end this long tirade, how about posting your FSX.CFG plus some HW specs? I'll happily post mine if that would help.

Jorgen

I can attest to this same issue, and it is the upgrade. Microsoft sent out a patch for it, ideally, after the initial push because it broke FSX, FSX-SE, and other DX9/DX10 32-bit programs.(Evidently it was a known issue and the patch was done, but didn't ship on release day.) The patch came out for it in mid-November.

At first the patch seemed to work, but the problem returned. It is more prevalent with payware on FSX, like the Phenom 300 that I used to love to fly. My system is an 8 core 5960X processor with 32 Gig of Ram and an Nvidia GTX 970.

I considered it could be an Nvidia issue and tried older drivers, but still no joy. I also tried it with DX9 and DX10, as well as the DX10 add-on patch, and without it. The problem is the same. It will run for a little while and then fail when you try to spawn a child window. Easy to recreate.

I'm a Microsoft alumni. I worked there in the 90's, and frankly it's embarrassing to see what they've done with the company in regards to QA. I should say the lack of QA since they laid off most of the department a few years ago. If a Windows Insider doesn't find a problem during "beta", good luck.

There is the hope that they will release a patch for another legacy issue that will fix this, but don't hold your breath. If you have Windows 7, and FSX is that important, I would stick with it until 2020. That said, I think I would yell more at Dovetail at this point since they own the code rights. Unfortunately, they are busing trying to create FSW from the FSX foundation, so I don't think you will hear very much back.

Hey Jorgen,

I'm truly sorry to hear of your issues with Windows X!! I've enjoyed your advice and input for years!

And yes, I've heard many times over that at some point in time Windows X and FSX will become incompatible for almost everyone. Which is why I keep one computer on Windows 7 for FSX.

Of course using Windows 7 in itself is now becoming an issue as well. I like to build an upgraded computer for FSX at least every other year. But most of the new hotter hardware including CPUS are not compatible with 7!!??

I've tried various P3d offerings and don't find them nearly as enjoyable as FSX. And now it seems everyone is coming out with a whole bunch of 64 bit software as well. I hate to say it, but one of these days I'll probably move on along to 64bit and Windows X too. :(

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi Downwind66.

There no roll back on Windows 10 home, and cannot uninstall the dreaded 1709 update - well its not within my capabilities anyway.

I just think its crazy a world wide corporation with zillions of dollars available for research and development, employing the brainiest of technicians mess up so frequently !

I'm self employed and know for a fact I could not survive running my business like they do.

Naïve I may be but I would have thought an upgrade would be designed to make things better - not worse !

Oh well, guess I'll take up golf..

Joned - Here's a YouTube video, this guy doesn't think there is a magical 10 day cutoff for rolling back, might be worth watching if you haven't tried You Tube. You Tube has always been one of my "go to" resources when something "rears it's ugly head!"

Good luck - Rick

Edited by Downwind66
Forgot to include this link

Hey Jorgen,

I'm truly sorry to hear of your issues with Windows X!!

He hasn't been saying that in fact quite the opposite. He Has No Troubles at all. And my take, he is not going back to anything cause He Has No Troubles with its MS-Win10 fully updated and neither with his MS-FSX whatever version running under.

Cheers,

ncgmcpherson,

I am sorry if I seemed a bit short when I wrote my earlier reply, but I had 3-4 things going on at the time.

My FSX was not broken by the upgrade and neither were my add-ons,, but it seems some people's add-ons were - I noted that the OP mentioned ORBX, for instance. Jim Skorna was another person who had no problems.

The question is then who is to blame, and we can discuss that from here until eternity - was it Microsoft that changed compatibility, or was it the add-on developers that had been cutting corners and now got caught out, or what. What we have now for sure is a lot of people with problems.

I fully agree with your views on QA or the lack thereof in software development, be it at MS or anywhere else. You may remember Quarterdeck from the 90's - I worked there in Tech Support from 1994 to 1999, and starting in 1997 (under a new, very profit-oriented CEO) QA got really bad.

Jorgen

PS: Rupert, I don't have Win 10 issues - unfortunately, a lot of others have....

I can attest to this same issue, and it is the upgrade. Microsoft sent out a patch for it, ideally, after the initial push because it broke FSX, FSX-SE, and other DX9/DX10 32-bit programs.(Evidently it was a known issue and the patch was done, but didn't ship on release day.) The patch came out for it in mid-November.

At first the patch seemed to work, but the problem returned. It is more prevalent with payware on FSX, like the Phenom 300 that I used to love to fly. My system is an 8 core 5960X processor with 32 Gig of Ram and an Nvidia GTX 970.

I considered it could be an Nvidia issue and tried older drivers, but still no joy. I also tried it with DX9 and DX10, as well as the DX10 add-on patch, and without it. The problem is the same. It will run for a little while and then fail when you try to spawn a child window. Easy to recreate.

I'm a Microsoft alumni. I worked there in the 90's, and frankly it's embarrassing to see what they've done with the company in regards to QA. I should say the lack of QA since they laid off most of the department a few years ago. If a Windows Insider doesn't find a problem during "beta", good luck.

There is the hope that they will release a patch for another legacy issue that will fix this, but don't hold your breath. If you have Windows 7, and FSX is that important, I would stick with it until 2020. That said, I think I would yell more at Dovetail at this point since they own the code rights. Unfortunately, they are busing trying to create FSW from the FSX foundation, so I don't think you will hear very much back.

It seems odd that some have this issue and others not.

I fly the Phenom 300 exclusively as my home cockpit is built as a replica of it.

I also have Win10 with all the necessary updates and have not experienced any problems at all.

Perhaps there is one particular addon that is causing the problem? If there is, it aint the Phenom !

Just my two cents...

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

With all due respect, if he has no troubles at all, what is this thread all about? I think most of us can feel his frustrations, and if he has no troubles, what's he frustrated about? I am just going to sit back and watch this all play out! I am so glad I took every precautionary measure to ensure that Microsoft did not sneak a Windows 10 upgrade in on my Windows 7 computer. I still have the sheet of paper showing the 7 updates that could jeopardize your Windows 7 computer with an upgrade. No updates get downloaded without me checking those numbers first! SORRY MICROSOFT, I DO NOT WANT WINDOWS 10, I will go to a Mac computer before that happens!

Joned - I wish you well, hope something helps with your dilemma!

Rick

Edited by Downwind66

I am not sure i really understand how someone can get upset with a current version operating system when it "breaks" a legacy program. Microsoft can't write their code and ensure that every legacy program ever written works with it. At some point they have to move on. Microsoft updates rarely ever break anything despite people jumping on the "update broke it" bandwagon. I am responsible for about 150 PCs of which 95% are Windows 10. I have been doing this since the days of Windows 3.1 and I can count on one, maybe two hands how many times a Windows update has truly caused issues. Windows 10 is the best o.s. that Microsoft has put out so far. My support issues probably dropped by 50% moving from Windows 7 and 8 to 10.

ncgmcpherson,

Jorgen

PS: Rupert, I don't have Win 10 issues - unfortunately, a lot of others have....

Jorgen,

My bad? I guess it'd understand better if I didn't read forum topics as copied below.

So if you're saying Goodbye to FSX - thanks to Windows 10, what are you saying.

Goodbye FSX - thanks to Window 10

And I'd have sworn you were the one who started this topic which usually means you named it as well. Huh?

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

For anyone who remembers I had an issue with the 1709 update, it was causing a conflict with my AS16 & ASCA. The real problem was in my A/V program. I had to add an exemption for AS16's web connect and that solved the issue. Win 10 is both great & royal pain in the hind parts. For me I like the OS, but I don't much care for the way updates are done as I have no choice what get updated and what doesn't or when I decide to do them.

Joned what errors are you getting, what is running along with FSX? We all are here to help but more info is needed too...

AD

Edited by amberdog1

I agree, Windows 10 does suck, IMO! I have 4 machines running it. Two work fine, the other two, unless I use them every 2 days, they crash and die, and a hard re-boot is the only way to get them running again. Thinking very seriously about going back to XP, which IMO is the best version of windoze yet and still.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is the "Event" that may be causing Windows 10 to crash.

Windows is aware of the problem that is happening.

With the next update it may be resolved.

MFCO80.DLL

Symptoms

You install a product that updates the Mfc80.dll module or the Mfc80u.dll module on the computer from version 8.0.50727.870 to version 8.0.50727.3078. For example, you install Microsoft SQL Server 2008. When you run an application that is built with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, an access violation occurs in the Mfc80.dll module or in the Mfc80u.dll module. And, the application crashes.

Note This problem applies to many other applications, including applications that are used on Windows 7.

Cause

This problem occurs because the two versions are incompatible.

From my event log:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 12/9/2017 22:09:28

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: DESKTOP-2T98K66

Description:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: MFC80.DLL, version: 8.0.50727.6195, time stamp: 0x4dcdeca2

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x0005a6f1

Faulting process id: 0x285c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d37161dd18b42d

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_cbf5e994470a1a8f\MFC80.DLL

Report Id: 4b50d187-1d3f-4951-9e07-4ec1f6cb5cbc

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

DESKTOP-2T98K66

fsx.exe

46fadb14

MFC80.DLL

4dcdeca2

c000041d

0005a6f1

285c

01d37161dd18b42d

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_cbf5e994470a1a8f\MFC80.DLL

4b50d187-1d3f-4951-9e07-4ec1f6cb5cbc

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/961894/fix-an-application-that-uses-the-mfc80-dll-module-or-the-mfc80u-dll-mo

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709

Successfully installed on ‎12/‎7/‎2017

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/virtual-agent/?flowId=smc-contactus&ws=support

Edited by SAM Hunter
ADDED SUPOPRT PAGE VIRTUAL AGENT

"Remember, All you have to do is ask."

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/10/25/windows10signaturecopy.jpghttp://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/helicoptero_animado_2.gif

• 1 year later...
ok, heres the deal about this overall misunderstanding about Windows and the conflicts with FSX GOLD EDITION. There are a few ways around this, but first, whether you have conflicts with anything or not, you should never allow any website access to do downloads without your inspection of the files and contents. I be in touch with Microsoft of and on for twenty years, and since 2007 with the overall release of the FSX program and then the GOLD EDITION its been more than 20 to 30 times a year over the phone and text well over a few hundred. You should go into your system as an administrator and checkoff the auto update, and recieve updates to see before downloading as about 5 years ago i had to put out an alert that malware in files as MS Updates were released into computers worldwide. Now onto the issue at hand, I had Win 7 and the GOLD installed since 2007, over 3 million files, Im using a dual core, 3 gig, and im oversped and adjusted my FSX cfg. file, I chose 2048, unless i want more and i boost it up to 4068. I run 100 on all aircraft and all settings on high. I right click and COMPRESS all files and subfiles on the entire NSFSXA program, this makes space on disc and additional ram, them I compress all C:x86) the same way again saving space. Now what i did to go over to Win 10, i contacted Microsoft, and i was given a Win 10 assist helper, this allows me to get win 10 without losing any files whatsoever, if you install win 10 any other way you lose everything. You must have the win 10 on your toolbar and allow the download assistant bring the 10 program in and install it, thus there are no issues with win 10 and conflicts with the Flightsim program. Let it be noted that Microsoft is very aware of the win 10 update issue and the malware issues and thats the reason the business version isnt being accepted the MS thought it would be because the businesses cannot trust a program that has the bugs. So, what some have noticed in win 10 is there isnt a heading for the downloads of updates and yet on some you can find it, another issue is with the snooping regards to the edge toolbar and its impending attempt to analyze everything on and in the computer, i personally switched out to GOOGLE newest release. If anyone has an android cellphone youll notice the relationship in security and google along with android making a team effort on security. I had to go to the MS site to get the update add on app for the computer but i still dont allow it to update until i see what its planning on usuing it for, so i copy the KB id number and i go to MS site and research it. To note, if you dont go about the first option i gave with the download assist and you already have win 10 and issues i will tell you that if you use the MS disc for MSFS 10 you will lose all of youre addons in file order and you will have to install again, and alot of you jpgs and some of youre files will be rerouted to the ozone and you wont recover them. Another issue with the EDge toolbar is conflict, especially with windows defender., and if thats the issue youll have to have the security program installed that youve purchased or downloaded removed or turn off your Defender which isnt difficult . If you have questions about the system tweaking send out a message here and ill do a write up on how to tune your computer no matter what size, so you can reach the full potential of the FSX program. Theres too many thinking FSX is gone, it hasnt even begun to reach its potential, they com and they go add ons , new programs, ive seen it in the past, sturmoviks still out there, I saw what happened with tac pac. Look theres plenty of dynamite combat and commercial flight sims, and it was the private designers and creators that took it to the point it was to where we exist now. Look at the fsx program with cartoon graphics and the transition pain in the butt fs9 time of transition , alot of simmers left and never came back, some did stay. The steam program? its ok, but when youve created a world in fsx foe over 10 years and all of the changes and hairpulling , its hard to give up a good thing, millions of downloads and more to come, and thanks to sites like FLIGHTSIM we have whatever we want or mention it and before long its here. There are plenty of sites, freeware and payware. stick to your guns.Have a safe flight and keep the shiny side up. Semper Fidelis Edited by archangelmj12