Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye FSX - thanks to Window 10

Default Goodbye FSX - thanks to Window 10

I am so gutted ! For years I have enjoyed a great hobby and pastime, invested a lot of money with add on's etc including ORBX sceneries. Now the latest Windows 10 upgrade has put a stop to all that.

FSX opens OK, but any command from the menu produces the "An unsupported operation was attempted" followed by program shut down.
    It appears that unless you are computer savvie and can try lots of tweaking etc you are stuffed. I have found no Windows announcement offering a patch but lots of on line disgruntled ex FSX users like myself.

Why mention it here ? Well surely, this will impact on not only FSX sales but add on sales as well..no simulator, no need for add ons !
    Its been great, really great, is it really all over ?

Microsoft really sucks !
    Unless someone knows something I don't..

Regards all..

Make friends with Jorgen and Jim! They swear Windows 10 has never given them an issue and also makes coffee in the morning and cooks dinner for them at night. Me, I'm sticking with XP until Hell freezes over!
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

3. Default

I can't believe it was just one update for Windows 10 that broke your FSX. I mean, there are a lot of FSX-users running Windows 10 too, most likely up-to-date (as there is no other option ).

Can you pinpoint it down to one specific update when FSX decided to go full-bug-mode? Maybe one can find a solution to fix your problem.

I had the boxed version of FSX (FSX Deluxe + Acceleration and all of its patches, if there were any) and now FSX Steam Edition running on my new PC (bought it in December 2015), which had Windows 10 pre-installed as its OS. So far, with every big or tiny update FSX still runs like a charm, along with all meshes, sceneries, planes etc..
    Only thing I can tell is that FS2002/FS2004 had some issues on my machine, but there were existing fixes that one could find on the internet (such as compatibility mode).

I can attest to the FACT that Windows 10 IN ITSELF does not cause any FSX issues.

If it did, I would not be able to run FSX under said operating system. And my FSX installation is pretty big, complex and non-standard, so if there really was a problem, I would have it, and I don't! End of story.

So, there must be SOMETHING ELSE™ going on with the systems where we hear about problems. But, of course, it's much easier to blame Windows 10 instead of doing some troubleshooting, reading up on the various threads here on Flightsim and elsewhere and so on.

For starters, I would like to invite the OP to post his FSX.CFG file here, so we can see what we can do with it. Hardware specs would also help.

I am assuming to begin with that the OP's system otherwise is stable and functioning OK. (If not, then all bets are off!!!)

Don't give up, get EVEN!

And Win 10 making me dinner at night is just a tad of exaggeration, at least it's Curries are horrible....

Jorgen
    Last edited by jorgen.s.andersen; 12-08-2017 at 07:56 AM.

<QUOTE>I can attest to the FACT that Windows 10 IN ITSELF does not cause any FSX issues.<UNQUOTE>
    A brave statement.
    I have a lengthy post rolling at ORBX forum. The windows 1709 update problem is very real and common amongst FSX-S and P3D users.
    One such post follows....
    I suggest you pop over to AVSim and check out the comments there, there are 2 threads running, about 180 comments last I counted.
    Things I gleaned from the threads,
    The fix came out on Tuesday the 5th., didn't work ! KB4051963
    Not all computers are effected.
    Some users of P3D v4 have the same problems once they install 3rd Party addons, Scenery and Aircraft. For PMDG, it has been a disaster in FSX and P3D V3 & 4, and have been in contact with Microsoft.

In Windows 10 home OS Deferral of update 1709 only lasts 30 days, then it is installed if you like it or not.
    Can only defer in Windows 10 Pro, not possible in Windows 10 Home.
    Roll back is only possible with Windows 10 Pro.
    =================================
    I'm glad that you have such faith in FSX and are experiencing no problems, but not very helpful.

[QUOTE=Joned;2035428]<QUOTE>I can attest to the FACT that Windows 10 IN ITSELF does not cause any FSX issues.<UNQUOTE>
    A brave statement.
    I have a lengthy post rolling at ORBX forum. The windows 1709 update problem is very real and common amongst FSX-S and P3D users.
    One such post follows....
    I suggest you pop over to AVSim and check out the comments there, there are 2 threads running, about 180 comments last I counted.
    In Windows 10 home OS Deferral of update 1709 only lasts 30 days, then it is installed if you like it or not.
    Can only defer in Windows 10 Pro, not possible in Windows 10 Home.
    Roll back is only possible with Windows 10 Pro.
    =================================

Joned - If you know which update started the problems, can't you just go into Windows Update and uninstall that update? Sorry, if I seem naive, but I have Windows 7 (thank god), and I could do that, but I don't know anything about Windows 10. Just a thought. When mentioned Roll Back, I assume that to be the as "restore windows back to a previous time?"

Anyway, best of luck getting this all sorted out! It is a bummer, knowing something you enjoy, like all of us, might be gone!

Rick

Very wise !!

Hi Downwind66.
    There no roll back on Windows 10 home, and cannot uninstall the dreaded 1709 update - well its not within my capabilities anyway.
    I just think its crazy a world wide corporation with zillions of dollars available for research and development, employing the brainiest of technicians mess up so frequently !
    I'm self employed and know for a fact I could not survive running my business like they do.

Naïve I may be but I would have thought an upgrade would be designed to make things better - not worse !
    Oh well, guess I'll take up golf..

Well, since I have Win 10 Home Single-Language I have to have 1709, which a quick look at my Windows specs confirmed, with a build number of 16299.64.

The only issue I have is this: when flying over a very dense piece of scenery that I have, namely New York Airports (both volumes) and City, all 3 from Drzewiecki Design, I hear a "pling" sound, which comes from FSUIPC and tells me I'm getting close to an OOM error. After I hear this "pling" a number of times, I then, if I hit Esc to end the flight, get "An unsupported operation was attempted", the flight continues and I have to reset the computer. I tend to believe that this error message comes from FSUIPC, since I don't have an issue with ending the flight using Esc over any other scenery and I don't hear any "pling" sounds anywhere else.

Simple, hard logic says that if FSX really has an issue, across the board, with running under Windows 10, I (and everyone else - no exceptions) would see the issue. I don't see any issue. Therefore, no conflict between FSX and Win 10.

In another thread here on Flightsim, I invited people to refute this piece of logic. No takers so far.

And I am confident enough in Win 10 to take on P3D. I have started my homework on that already.

Anyway, I'll gladly give you my way of running Windows updates, and cleaning up after them:

1. Run the Windows Update - nothing else running on the system. Reboot once updating is done.

2. When the system comes up after rebooting, use the "Free up disk space" in control panel to clean
    up. When the first cleaning is done, and you get a button saying "Clean up system files", hit that
    button to clean them up. When done, reboot.

3. Use the freeware Ccleaner to clean up the system. When done, Use Ccleaner's option to clean up
    the registry. When that's done, reboot.

4. Use a freeware program from Eusing called "Free Registry Cleaner" to clean the registry further. If
    you run on mechanical HDDs, get another freeware from Eusing called "Free Registry Defrag" and
    defrag the registry. When done, reboot.

5. You're done!

I've been cleaning my system this way since Windows 8, and it does keep the system clean.

So, to end this long tirade, how about posting your FSX.CFG plus some HW specs? I'll happily post mine if that would help.

Jorgen

10. Default

I can attest to this same issue, and it is the upgrade. Microsoft sent out a patch for it, ideally, after the initial push because it broke FSX, FSX-SE, and other DX9/DX10 32-bit programs.(Evidently it was a known issue and the patch was done, but didn't ship on release day.) The patch came out for it in mid-November.

At first the patch seemed to work, but the problem returned. It is more prevalent with payware on FSX, like the Phenom 300 that I used to love to fly. My system is an 8 core 5960X processor with 32 Gig of Ram and an Nvidia GTX 970.

I considered it could be an Nvidia issue and tried older drivers, but still no joy. I also tried it with DX9 and DX10, as well as the DX10 add-on patch, and without it. The problem is the same. It will run for a little while and then fail when you try to spawn a child window. Easy to recreate.

I'm a Microsoft alumni. I worked there in the 90's, and frankly it's embarrassing to see what they've done with the company in regards to QA. I should say the lack of QA since they laid off most of the department a few years ago. If a Windows Insider doesn't find a problem during "beta", good luck.

There is the hope that they will release a patch for another legacy issue that will fix this, but don't hold your breath. If you have Windows 7, and FSX is that important, I would stick with it until 2020. That said, I think I would yell more at Dovetail at this point since they own the code rights. Unfortunately, they are busing trying to create FSW from the FSX foundation, so I don't think you will hear very much back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast